Credit Finch

Guest hannahmom

Guest hannahmom

8 years ago, I fell in love with a finch I was babysitting for a friend, so DH got me a pair of very young zebra finches whom we proceeded to name Debit ( male) and Credit ( beautiful fawn female). They were pair bonded within days. Credit was obviously the smarter of the two, figuring out when we left the cage door open that she could get out and fly.

They raised 6 chicks together, and at one point, apart from their kids, shared their enormous " cage " ie luxury suite, with 8 other finch, everyone meeping and pooping in finch paridise. Debit and Credit were so wonderful that we wanted lots more finch so that we could observe them in all their silliness. Yes, birds have distinct personalities, Credit was our den mother, paying attaention and laying the law down to them all.

One by one, the others ( whom we had bought in their mature years) passed away, leaving only our original two best friends and sweethearts.

I found poor Credit dead at the bottom of the cage this morning. DH and I will bury her outside - the only thing we could never give her while she was with us.

Debit is inconsolable, and frankly, at his advanced age ( 7 is considered an old finch) I don't expect to have him for long now that she's gone. He is calling for her and has beeen all day I think.

How can something so small leave such a big gap?

Goodbye Credit, Mommy loves you.

There is a new, very tiny star in the heavens tonight.

Edited by hannahmom

How can something so small leave such a big gap

She was herself and she was very much loved.

I'm sorry she had to leave you. Hugs to her people and gentle little meeps to Debit.

Godspeed, Credit.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

oh, that is so sad :cry1 I feed the wild, outdoor finches, and I just love listening to them.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I am so sorry for your loss. Fly high sweetie...and send your companion a sign that you are watching over always. :grouphug:f_white

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Snowy8

Awww...I'm so sorry...me & Gabby will go outside tonight & look for a tiny little star...Chinghis told Gabby you were a very special mom, now we all see why... :f_white:heart

I'm so sorry. :cry1

My heart breaks for Debit.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest hannahmom

Debit is still hopping around the cage ( 30 sq feet) meeping and looking in the corners for Credit.

He doesn't understand where his girlie went :(

Hopefully he'll come to terms with it soon. We don't want to get another finch, because a newcomer in a situation would either be bullied or bully poor Debit, and he deserves better.

Thanks for thinking of my small boy. It hurts to see him like this .

Guest jettcricket

I'm so sorry for your loss. Fly free sweetie..... :f_red

Debit is still hopping around the cage ( 30 sq feet) meeping and looking in the corners for Credit.

Hopefully he'll come to terms with it soon. We don't want to get another finch, because a newcomer in a situation would either be bullied or bully poor Debit, and he deserves better.

Awww....poor baby. Reading this broke my heart. :(

Guest crazy4greys

I am sorry to hear about Credit. :( I know how you feel. I had Zebra Finches for years and breed them. Unfortunately, it happens, but I would put another mate in the cage and everything was fine. Just thought I'd let you know, but you know your Debit, so do what is best for him. :grouphug

• 1 month later...
Guest hannahmom

There was one small lonely finch in our local petstore.

He came to live with us today.

I'm out of town on business, but DH says everyone is doing well

I couldn't bear to see Debit so lonely.

Hopefully the 2 lonely boys will make each other feel happy and secure.

Guest bowiebears

So sorry to hear about Credit's departure for The Bridge.

I hope Debit will find consolation in his new friend's presence.

I am very touched by this story for some reason, even though I've never had a bird ...

Hugs and prayers to/for all!

--Isaac