Lizzy

Guest Scouts_mom

Guest Scouts_mom

Sweet Lizzy left us yesterday afternoon. Without her loving spirit my house feels empty.

Lizzy was born at a racing kennel in North Carolina nine years ago. It was clear she wasn't real interested in running and was too chunky to race so she was given to a greyhound adoption group to find a home as a pet. We don't know anything about what happened to her from that time until last summer, but somehow she got to the West Coast. Last July she was found wandering the streets of Vancouver, WA. It was assumed that she panicked and ran from her home due to fireworks however she never showed any fear of loud noises while she was at my home. No one stepped forward to claim her, so she was turned over to GPA to be rehomed.

My Scout died July 15, 2005. Tia and I were devastated without her. As we had room for another grey, we decided to adopt again a week later. At the adoption kennel, Lizzy came out with a grin on her face--delighted that someone had come to visit her. She seemed to know instantly that she wanted Tia for a sister and Tia seemed to feel the same way, so she came home with us.

Lizzy walked into our home like she knew it was waiting for her. She totally ignored the cats, but always greeted me at the door or the back-gate with a little pogo-stick hop as if she was so excited she couldn't contain it. If they had been separated for even a few minutes, she would always greet Tia with a polite nose-to-nose sniff catching up on the latest news. She loved wandering through the yard and going on evening walks to check out the neighborhood. She was polite and friendly with everyone she met whether they were canine, feline, or human.

She had the biggest ears I have ever seen on a greyhound. When she was interested in something, they would be straight up like sails. She soon learned that her nickname was "Bigears." She also had the strangest sleep position. She would assume a sphinx position, then crawl forward on her front elbows until her back legs were stretched out behind--just like a frog.

Most of all she loved ear-scritches and food. She had once been on the street and had to make do without, and she was determined that would never happen again. After she ate a bag of Halloween candy, I learned not to leave anything remotely edible on the counter. She got very sneaky about getting to the catfood.

During her year with us, she was terrified that she would be deserted. Tia and I tried hard to reassure her, but we never entirely convinced her. I hope her previous owners get what they deserve for the dark scars they left on her soul.

Last winter I learned that her kidneys' were too small for her beautiful body and they were wearing out. I was forced to put her on a special diet and stop giving her the things she loved, like leftover cat and human food, And her treats were limited to bland tasteless things. It broke my heart to be strict with her as she begged for the food she loved.

Then this spring her blood chemistry values started to get very bad and she began losing weight. Our vet was surprised that, given her values, she was still happy and lively. She was one spunky girl. But these last two weeks she really went downhill. She went from weighing 60 lb to 45 lb, her blood tests showed her liver was failing in addition to her kidneys, her skin was developing lesions and she was only able to go a very short distance during her evening walks. I had to make the hard decision to let her go before life became miserable for her.

Now her sweet soul is with God and she will never be deserted again. I hope Scout is playing with her and racing with her, chasing the wind.

:gh_bow:gh_run:gh_run:gh_run:gh_run

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rsqdogsmom

Thank you so much for sharing your story of your girl, Lizzy.

How lucky she was to have found her forever home and her forever sister with your family.

She sounds like she was a wonderful companion and I know how much your hearts are grieving for her now.

Bless you for taking in a senior dog and giving her the best possible home.

My prayers are with you at this sad time. :f_white:f_red:f_white

Edited by rsqdogsmom

I'm so sorry for your loss of Lizzie :cry1

what a beautiful story, thank you for sharing it with us!

I'm so glad Lizzie knew what a real home and real love was the last year -- bless your for taking her into your heart :wub:

:f_pink

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:f_white Lizzie sounds like a very special girl...I'm so sorry for your loss :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Thank you for the story of her last wonderful year. I am so sorry that you lost her. :cry1:grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest argolola

I am crying as I read your post about your beautiful girl. Please accept our condolences and may God bless you. May your tears turn to smiles as you reminisce.

Guest IndysDad

I'm so sorry..

Lizzy was so fortunate to have a Mom like you and a sister like Tia,

I believe you did the right thing for her and now she's whole again, watching you from the Bridge and patiently waiting for you..

Godspeed and send your Mom a rainbow,sweetheart.

Guest Gogh4It

:gh_lay:f_pink:gh_run:f_white:gh_run:f_pink:gh_lay

I loved your story so much...what a wonderful way to remember your little sweetie pie.

I know your heart is aching...but Lizzy left that door open for another to come in & nestle down in your heart.

You're a very special person & Lizzy knew it...she's watching over you now & so is Scout. They're together, running & chasing snowflakes & jumping around the rainbow.

Whatever her favorite things were down here, they're double up there!

I can tell from your post how greytful you were to have her and how wonderful she felt to be loved by you and Tia. Run free sweet heart. thank you for loving her and giving her the gift. May you find peace in the days ahead. You were so loved Lizzy.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest K9_Lady
:paw She will always be in your heart for you were her Angel. Thank you for sharing your story of Lizzy straight from the heart. She knew she was loved and that was the best gift you could have given to her. :f_red

I'm sorry she couldn't stay longer. It sounds like you and she had a special bond, and a special time together.

Run with the wind, beloved girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.