How Much Time Do Your Greys...

Daily Walks...  

764 members have voted

1. 1. How much time do your Greys get walked daily?

• 2 or more hours...
    • 1 - 2 hours
    • 30 minutes - 1 hour
    • 15 - 30 minutes
    • my Grey doesn't get daily walks
    • my Grey never gets walked
    • Other...

Just wondering...how much time do your Greys get walked every day? We walk about two hours daily...on 'beach days'

the afternoon walks are a bit shorter as they get very tired at the beach...

How about your Greys?

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest maryjo79

half and hour or more in the morning.... half an hour at night.... sometimes a noon time walk, or a run at the dog park....

we live in a really hilly neighborhood so the half an hour walk is really an exerting walk....

Guest btiedt

Depends on the weather of course but I do a 1/2 mile walk before work and again at night. DS takes him for a walk then before school and when he gets home from school. He says they are long walks but knowing my gaming junky 13 year old, I bet each walk is 2 blocks! lol

There is also the trip to the dog park twice a week but I don't count that as a walk.

Guest ZBippy

marion, I have a question for you and I hope that you don't think that it is rude--I'm just truly curious. My observation is that European GTers seem to walk their dogs longer each day (on average, I'm sure there are exceptions) than US GTers. I am wondering if this is due to a difference in the the "average" length of a workday between countries. So I am wondering what your work schedule is like that it allows you time to walk for 2 hours daily? I leave for work at 7:30am and get home at 5:30pm. Between making meals, daily housekeeping, and trying to fit in exercise for myself, I'm certain that I would never be able to fit in that much walking on a daily basis.

Guest FordRacingRon

About 45 min to an hour in the Am (2-3 miles) and usually 1/2 hour in the afternoon (1 mile or so). Less in the afternnon because daddy is a lzay old man who wants to sit and play video games then.

We also run laps about 7 pm.

marion, I have a question for you and I hope that you don't think that it is rude--I'm just truly curious. My observation is that European GTers seem to walk their dogs longer each day (on average, I'm sure there are exceptions) than US GTers. I am wondering if this is due to a difference in the the "average" length of a workday between countries. So I am wondering what your work schedule is like that it allows you time to walk for 2 hours daily? I leave for work at 7:30am and get home at 5:30pm. Between making meals, daily housekeeping, and trying to fit in exercise for myself, I'm certain that I would never be able to fit in that much walking on a daily basis.

Well, answering to your question I'm a SAHM now. I have worked full time years ago but

when I had my full time job, I didn't have dogs yet...so now I've time to walk my dogs.

In Germany (I'm German although living in Spain) workdays are of similar length as in the US,

but as schools for children finish about 14.00h, many children and young people who live at home

take part in walking the dogs. There's mostly somebody at home from the family considering the

many half time jobs of women who have got children and those who are SAHMs.

Another point is that many full time working people, where the couple or single person is out of

house all day, are very reluctant to adopt a dog, knowing that he'll have to stay alone all day

and many Adoption Agencies just don't give dogs to people who are out of house all day long.

In Germany people give much importance to the exercise needs of dogs in general. In Spain

things are very different. Most people don't walk their dogs regularly...they sit in gardens or

terraces and are bored. A minority walks them regularly.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

I don't know about the difference in the working day .. though I have heard that in some large corporations in the US people are expected to work longer hours with no overtime pay, which stinks. The working day here is typically 9am to 5pm though many people work longer hours, or do shift work - and of course you have to add in travelling times.

I'm the same as Marion: I stay at home now, but I was working just part time when we got Jim, our first greyhound. To me, that was part of the decision. I wouldn't take on a dog until I knew I would have the time to devote to his care, and in fact, the shelter we got him from was quite strict about questioning us on that - and DH would not have agreed, either :).

Back then, when I worked part time, I actually walked him longer than I walk my dogs now, because he was a young dog, and I now have older dogs. He often would get a couple of hours, and sometimes spread over three walks instead of two. These days, mine get 30-40 minutes in the morning, which most days includes an off-lead stretch, and 20-30 minutes at night. So on average, somewhere around the hour, sometimes more, sometimes a little less.

On the days we were both working, my DH would take Jim out in the morning before he left for work, and then I'd take him when I got home.

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

A little more than an hour a day on weekdays. Probably a little bit more on Saturdays and Sundays. Today, we went for a 45 minute mid-day walk and will do another one about the same length later this evening. (of course one must factor in checking "pee mail" so some of it isn't actually spent "walking"!!)

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest puckfox23

We walk about a half hour a day, sometimes an hour and a half. But lately Axel's paws have been really tender, so we've had to use booties... which he loves (they stop the hurting) and hates (they're booties! on his feet! he wants them off!). We're waiting on a shipment of some stuff to rub on his paws to toughen them up, but until then, the walks are short...

Guest Whippet

I voted between an hour and two hours a day but of course, living in the great white north, it depends on the temperature so when it's -30 (and it happens regularily) we don't go, obviously.

However, when we haven't been able to take the dogs out for a couple days, we drive to the indoor paddock and let them run in there. It's not heated but it's indoors so it isn't too bad...

Sophie.

I voted 15-30 minutes because that's how much time we spend on actual "walks"...on a leash, walking, around the neighborhood or local park. That's mostly because, frankly, I'm WAY overweight and until I build up more endurance, that's all I can handle. (We've just had Sweetie since mid-Nov.) Weather, of course, can factor in as well.

However, she spends a good 45-60 seconds running HIGH SPEED laps around the yard at least once a day (often twice), about 5 minutes playing fetch with her "Big Mean Kitty" and then will spend another 10-15 minutes 3-4 times a day trotting around the fence line and back and forth across the lawn tracking the bunnies and birds.

So as far as "off the couch and moving" time goes, it's more like an hour and a half or so...just not all together.

Edited by LisaBnSweetie

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge

Guest SusanP

We used to walk so much more, but now that Simon can't walk very well with her arthritis, we keep walks very short...I often drop her off at home after a short crawl up the street and then take the rest of the pack for a longer, brisk walk, but DH and kids say she cries while we're gone, so I make it kind of snappy. :(

Guest VaGreymom

I walk the girls each morning before I leave for work for an hour. I have a dog walker come in the afternoon for an hour. Some evenings when I get home I will take them out again for 20-30 minutes. The evening walk does not happen to often when I work.

Guest Catti

I said "30 mins to an hour" because Sting gets three walks per day minimum. The early morning and late-night walks on days when I work are short 10-15 min "potty walks" only, but he also gets a longer walk (half an hour or more) in the evenings when I get home from work. Walks on weekends are longer too.

Sting had a bad leg break on the track, this break never healed properly so when it's cold his leg gets stiff and he will start limping if I keep him out for too long. I have to keep an eye on him when he's walking, as he has "good days and bad days" with his leg. Just like my arthritis in my knees! So, if Sting seems in the mood for a longer or brisk walk, and time permits, that's what he gets. If he starts slowing down, trailing behind me, or seems to be limping, walk time is over.

He seems fine with his walk schedule, and knows the routine very well. You can set your watch by the times he goes to the door expecting his walks! :lol

Edited by Catti

Guest RICHandJUDE

:unsure:rolleyes::blink:

I answered 15 to 30 minutes of actual 'taking walks' every day.

I could say we walk for an hour or two, but we don't. We probably

take three or four 10 minute walks. Do I feel guilty? The answer is NO.

I get on the floor and play with my two greyts everyday. We wrestle around and play tug a war.

We also have a 3500 sq.ft. fenced in backyard which they can get to directly from the sliding glass door on the back of the house. We let them out between 6 and 8 times per day for 5 to 10 minutes each time. More often, if they want. (we always watch them when they are in the backyard. Either from the window or from the deck).

They chase each other all over the back yard. Right now with our muddy backyard they look like 'mud turtles' when they come in. Although we don't take long walks every day, I feel they get plenty of exercise.

Rich

About an hour on weekday mornings, about 2 hours on weekends, plus short potty break walks (10-15 mins) in the afternoon and evenings every day as we do not have a garden

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest sjarp

I work full time and I am a single mom too. I walk our 4 (in two shifts) for about a half hour in the morning and someone, (myself or one of my teens) does it agin at night. They also have a fenced in yard. They love their walks the most though! In summer, (I am a teacher), I go for longer walks with them. It is good for all of us. In the winter in Maine, it can feel like torture on cold days to me, but they still like it. Sara

Ours pretty much get half an hour in the morning and again at night. If the weather is wet or cold we might shorten it a bit. When the weather gets warmer and the lights lasts longer I anticipate longer evening walks. Like someone else said we didn't take on dogs until one of us was working less so that we had the time to do it properly. While we were both full time (and sometimes away from home) we felt it was unfair to have pets. Interestingly figures here show that over the last 15 years the number of pet dogs in the UK has fallen by about 1 million while the number of pet cats has increased. The reasons for this seem to be that working patterns in most households can more easily accomodate a cat which pretty much looks after it's own excercise routine than a dog which needs walking. Maybe this also has something to do with rising obesity rates in the UK!

I used to think Dara O'Briain was funny. Now I know better.

We normally go out for walks/ runs/ playing from 8-9am, 1-2pm and 6-6.30pm now that I am retired and can go whenever I wish. When I worked my dogs were out roughly 7.30-8.30am, 12.30-1pm and 6-7pm so I really only adjusted the timing according to work hours.

Sue from England

I voted between 1 - 2 hours usually closer to 1 hour a day during the week.Weather permitting of course. That is an after hour walk, as I work full time. I am out of the house 11 hours a day miminum between my work day and commute. My dogs have a dog door with access to their yard at all times.

Marion, I am anxiously awaiting the day I can be home all day with my dogs too. I envy you and Judy! I have to say I do not have kids. If I did, I probably would not have a dog. Then there would be no time to care for them properly and get them exercised. Without kids, I have the time after work to spend with my dogs and I so enjoy doing so. It is the high point of my day.

Those of you who work, have kids and dogs too, good job!

Raven doesn't get daily walks. When we do walk her, it's usually about a 30-45 minute walk. She does get plenty of play time in our backyard, though...she goes out several times a day and usually plays for about 15-20 minutes and then comes in for a bit...and then goes out and does it all over again.

Guest fastdog

I put in that our girls don't get walks every day... we do have a fenced-in yard, though, and they really let loose when I get home from work, so that's where the bulk of their excercise comes from.

I think my dogs are really lazy. We took them for a walk this morning, and they were kind of pokey. When we've tried taking them on longer walks, they get cranky -- more than a mile and they just stop, like "I am not taking one more step!". Often on the weekends, they don't bother running in the back yard; they just do their business and come back in and go to bed. I guess they need weekends off, too!

Guest Panda

Our walks vary, depending on the weather. We walk every day, because our yard isn't fenced, but in winter and bad weather and cold, we do 3 walks a day of about 15 - 20 minutes each. As the weather gets nicer, we increase the walks. On really nice days, I like to come home at lunch and go for an hour walk around the pond by our house.