How Much Time Do Your Greys...

Daily Walks...  

764 members have voted

1. 1. How much time do your Greys get walked daily?

• 2 or more hours...
    • 1 - 2 hours
    • 30 minutes - 1 hour
    • 15 - 30 minutes
    • my Grey doesn't get daily walks
    • my Grey never gets walked
    • Other...

Voted 1 - 2 hours

We walk about 20 - 30 minutes in the morning during the week and about 1 hr or more in the evening....

Weekends they probably do a bit more than 2 hours a day sometimes.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bethf03

I try to walk them in the am b4 I go off to work, about 20 min, then on the weekend (and not always) I will take them to the park and let them run around. baout 30 min. My Unique, its like an alarm clock with her, she eats, and then follows me around barking and whining until we go.

She's really sad when we dont go, I think she even pouts then) :angry:

IMG_0972.jpg

Edited by Bethf03

Guest RedBrindleBoy

No walks here. Roo does go to work with me every week day, though, and gets to wander through the nursing home at will to visit residents and staff. No issues. He has a medium sized yard and a dog door (when I am home) to use at will.

Peyton has a bad leg so it really depends. On his good days (which make up the majority, thankfully), we do a 30-50 minute walk at lunch time, and a 15-30 minute walk before dinner. On bad days for his leg, me, or just miserable weather days, we're sometimes restricted to just two 10 minute walks. On weekends, we usually go to the park for a long walk, or take him to the dog park for a run. :)

I voted no daily walks. We walked twice a day until Emmet's corn got so bad. Then three months after we added Martin to our family, he broke his toe so no daily walks at all from October to now. We've just started walking them again, once or twice a week.

Edited by Beautybabe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greythopes

Newbie here, scarfing up information in big loads. I have no grey yet, but have hopes for one to come home with me in the next couple of months. It's helpful to me to see the wide range of walks on here, and all the doggies doing fine. Greys are such good adapters, I think.

When I DO get my longed-for grey, he or she will likely join in on walks with my Jack Russell. Jester HAS to do at least an hour a day, or he's incorrigible. It's like night and day, his tension level, his OCD spasms, etc when he gets his walkies and when he doesn't - different dog. So I'm already in the habit of at least an hour a day, often along the creek/pond that backs up to our subdivision. It's full of deer and geese and raccoons and coyotes (they howl at night), so it's smell-heaven for hounds.

Um....will my future grey have a deep yen to roll in green goose poop? Because Jester views it as Armani, and thinks he smells SEGGGGSYYYYY on the rare occasion that I don't pull him away fast enough. Also, are greys fairly sure-footed? The dry (unless we are flash-flooding) creek bed trail has some holes and steep inclines with rocks and things to clamber over and poke a nose into.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bethf03

different times and amounts of time for each season, during the cold winter months, :snow I walk Unique in the morning before i leave for work, about a 20 min walk. in sprng and summer, I'm out more, so I walk more often, usually not in the morning, because she can go in & outside. I walk in the evening about 20=30 minutes, also on the weekends I give her about a 1/2 hour. so its more in the spring and summer and less in the winter. We all stay in more :gh_lay

• 2 months later...
Guest cgreer06

My family and I are getting ready to adopt a greyhound. My husband works from 7am til 330pm. He leaves the house around 615am, and gets home around 415pm. I leave around 730am and Get home around 615pm. We plan on taking her out for about 30 mins. first thing in the morning around 6am, then feeding her, then taking her out around 715 for about 10-15 mins. before I leave for work. (and of course as soon as my husband gets home) Is that a good plan? We are 1st time greyhound parents and are very excited.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TexasGreytMom

We don't walk our greys. We have 1/2 an acre of fenced lawn and they get tons of exercise running laps several times a day.

• 1 month later...
Guest ChelseyQ

short walk around the block in the morning...then about an hourish at night

Edited by ChelseyQ

• 4 months later...
Guest 3greysinPA
We don't walk our greys. We have 1/2 an acre of fenced lawn and they get tons of exercise running laps several times a day.

Same thing here.... We have @ 1/2 acre of fenced in land for them run, walk, play and romp :gh_bow:gh_run:heart

Guest littlesyd85
I only walk my girls 15 - 30 minutes a day... The biggest reason is because Monarch has laryngeal paralysis and she really can't physically go on long walks. Also both my girls are seniors so I think that makes a difference also.

• 1 month later...
Guest burgerandfrey

Well... in Winter we all get a little less exercise, but we still try to walk at least an hour a day... one longer walk and one or two shorter walks. In the nicer months with more daylight the dogs might spend two or more hours a day walking. We are fortunate to live in a very beautiful, but also very hilly neighborhood. Our house is six blocks up a steep hill from the Bay, so we often walk the dogs down to the bay, along the boardwalk, and back up the hill. By the time they have to go up this hill they are pretty tired, and so are we:

245964801_aTi2L-L.jpg

Guest gecko_foot

Do you think a 30 minute AM walk and a 1 hour PM walk would be sufficient for a 2 or 3 year old greyhound or would that be too much to start off with?

Do you think a 30 minute AM walk and a 1 hour PM walk would be sufficient for a 2 or 3 year old greyhound or would that be too much to start off with?

That sounds fine to me -- I brought my girl home at 2.5 a little over a year ago and we walk about that much most days. If you just brought your dog home you might want to start with a bit less to give him/her time to build up endurance -- but you could take the dog's lead on this.

I was pretty obsessed with making sure my girl got enough exercise, hoofing around the neighborhood even in way subzero conditions last winter; I've come to realize her muscles won't atrophy if she gets a bit less on days when I'm really busy or the weather is awful!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest queenme2

At least 40 min a day. But there's been a lot of unusual rainfall in Georgia that has lead to flooding and on those days Nina has a lot of built up energy

That's perfect for him...but the hound should get the possibility of off-leash free run in a fenced in area about twice

per week. A 2 or 3 years old Greyhound is still full of energy.

My Soldi is in her 11th year of life and she gets walked still 1-1,30 hours daily and does perfectly. 3 times per week

we go to the beach where she's off-leash and enjoys free run.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

• 7 months later...
Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Walks and trips to the park are usually at least two hours, but not EVERY single day. Some days, like today, we don't do much of anything. Other days we run and walk and swim all day (in winter).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest buttonwillow

marion, I have a question for you and I hope that you don't think that it is rude--I'm just truly curious. My observation is that European GTers seem to walk their dogs longer each day (on average, I'm sure there are exceptions) than US GTers. I am wondering if this is due to a difference in the the "average" length of a workday between countries. So I am wondering what your work schedule is like that it allows you time to walk for 2 hours daily? I leave for work at 7:30am and get home at 5:30pm. Between making meals, daily housekeeping, and trying to fit in exercise for myself, I'm certain that I would never be able to fit in that much walking on a daily basis.

I walk Josie about 2 hours a day. We do an hour in the morning, getting up at 6. I leave for work at 7.30 and then return around 12 to walk her for another half hour. Then at 5.30 when I get home we do half an hour and a short walk at 9pm. I don't have kids and if Mr. Buttonwillow wants to eat, he makes his own food -- maybe that is the key? I do have two cats but they don't need much more than good food and petting :D

Wow, older thread than I thought!

Edited by buttonwillow

• 3 years later...

We live in Virginia and the weather dictates how long Rocket gets walked for. Generally, I tend to walk him 30-60 min per day - he dislikes the heat - I usually do a quick walk when I get home from my PT job and another an hour after I feed him dinner. We also have a large fenced yard he can run in - he generally just does his business and comes back in - :nod My boy is lazy and prefers to sleep!

I go by miles (figuring a 13-15 minute mile). Mine don't all get along so 2 go for 1 mile early-like 5am ish. Another goes for 2 miles at 8 am. I work from 9-3. At 4, 1 & 3 go for a 1/2 mile (just to help them getting along). At 6 pm we alternate who goes for 2 miles. Mine are not social, dog psrk types so they get 2 at a time free play on the 1/4 acre out back about a half hour each set almost every night.

Guest cocomom

Coco gets a three short 10-15 min walks just to take care of business in the morning and afternoon. After work, she gets a long 45 to 75 min walk depending on the heat. Once a week she gets a longer 2 hour walk, and once a month if we are lucky we get to go to a greyhound playgroup, where she gets to race with her pals.

Guest StansMom

Typically 20 mins in the morning and 20-30 in the evening. And lots of running in circles in our little backyard! We're trying to work him up to 20 minute miles twice a day. We're currently doing about 1.5 miles per day.

For us it depends on the weather. July in NJ was pretty hot and humid so we went out maybe 30 minutes a day? Walter was not at all happy with the weather and preferred the air conditioning. Now that it is a bit cooler out (its expecting to be around 75 today and almost no humidity) Walter wants to be out longer and walk farther and run around at the park - which is fine by me. So in the fall/spring we are out for longer walks which means more mileage and more time. Winter is a little less if it is raining or snowing but usually putting a jacket on is good enough for Walter. Summer walks are based on heat, humidity and if we'll be near a water source.

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

Guest nochoramet

I walk Mort 10 minutes in the morning before work and 10 minutes when I get off, but that's about all we can stand in this hot, humid Alabama weather right now. i'm trying to wake up earlier to take him on longer morning walks but I'm not a morning person and I fail a lot. I'm getting better though. Evenings I try to take him out on longer walkies when it's cooler but sometimes I'm too exhausted. My job is very physical and I'm building up muscles right now lol, I'm very out of shape. When we do go though it's at least an hour-hour and a half. We play in the house a lot and I am teaching him tricks so he gets mental stimulation until the weather cools off.

I've only had him 3 weeks so this is all a work in progress for the two of us :)