How Much Time Do Your Greys...

Daily Walks...  

764 members have voted

1. 1. How much time do your Greys get walked daily?

• 2 or more hours...
    • 1 - 2 hours
    • 30 minutes - 1 hour
    • 15 - 30 minutes
    • my Grey doesn't get daily walks
    • my Grey never gets walked
    • Other...

Guest Mommydog

Probably just over an hour a day when I'm working. they get about 30 mins at 07.30 when I get home from work, then about the same at around 16.00, plus a quick pee walk before I go to work and in between potty breaks in the garden. Usually once a week they get taken out to the country for about a one and a half hour walk. Through the summer they tend to get more walks all round because of the lighter evenings.

Edited to add: I've seen the actress Annette Crosbie ( who is heavily into greyhound welfare ) say on several occasions that two 20 min walks a day is quite OK for a greyhound.

Edited by Mommydog

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest runner615

Our 3 run with one of us early, early morning. Sometimes they run 2 miles, sometimes 1 1/2 miles....we also have a large yard with an inground pool. That is their 'track' so to speak. They run around the perimeter a lot during the day. Of course, they definitely get more running time in the Spring, Summer and Fall. During the Winter, we don't get out every morning for our morning run because of snow/ice. On those mornings, we all get to sleep a little longer. :D

Our 3 run with one of us early, early morning. Sometimes they run 2 miles, sometimes 1 1/2 miles....we also have a large yard with an inground pool. That is their 'track' so to speak. They run around the perimeter a lot during the day. Of course, they definitely get more running time in the Spring, Summer and Fall. During the Winter, we don't get out every morning for our morning run because of snow/ice. On those mornings, we all get to sleep a little longer. :D

**** Since I've had my grey I've lost about 130 lb. He's not the only reason for my weight loss of course, but I sure do enjoy our walks, and I never find it hard to get motivated to take him out, no matter how crappy the weather is or how I feel. And I feel much better now that all that weight is gone!*****

Catti.....Congratulations! But most importantly, you feel better and you're enjoying yourself while getting a good workout. Happy walking!

Edited by runner615

Guest carebear530

Lora loves her walks. We usually do a 1 1/2 mile loop after I get off work. When it gets a little warmer we usually work up to 3 miles.

Guest btiedt

I can't believe how much you'all walk! I thought I would enjoy walking more with a dog but I still don't like it. It is boring! Maybe I need to get headphones.

This morning I realized I just didn't want to walk but knew Milo needed exercize since he was going to be home alone today. So, we hopped in the car and drove the 1.7 miles to the dog park (yes I know some of you would have walked). It was 6 a.m. and we were the only ones there! It was great way to spend 30 mins!

Guest bluecanary

We try to get at least 45 minutes in per day during the week, 1 -2 hours on the weekends. Lately though it's been rain, rain, raining here like crazy. Kozie doesn't care for the rain, but we walked her in it yesterday anyway and she was fine. Poor girl was going stir-crazy!!

Edited by bluecanary

Guest GreysLexieDanci

Early morning about 20-30 minutes - Afternoon car ride plus a long 30 min park walk - then another evening walk depending on rain (just the past few weeks here)

• 1 month later...
Guest Zookiesmom

30 minutes in the morning, 20-30 in the afternoon (before dinner) than about 15 before bed. They like the longer walks, seems they need the time to poop.

• 1 year later...

We have a HUGE backyard but I still have to walk them every night iif it is not to hot out! We walk 2-miles and that takes 1/2 hour or more depending on how fast Bo my biggest is walking!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest LindsaySF

I work full-time, and until this fall, I was going to school at night for class and my second job. This coming semester I am just working, no classes.

We have a large fenced-in yard, and everyone in my family works opposite shifts, so the dogs are let outside multiple times a day. I take the dogs on actual walks every weekend (weather permitting), and Teagan goes to many walks and Meet & Greets with my adoption group.

~Lindsay~

We do about 30-40 minute walk in the morning before work, i take them for a loo stop at lunch time and we have a short jog about. I work close to home so normally home by 5.30 so i take them for about a half hour walk then and then again about 9pm for about 40 mins. They usually have a burn about the garden too some days depending on the weather as our garden can get a bit boggy and too slidey if its been raining.

Yeah it is in fact written into many employment contracts these days in UK that you are expected to fulfil your duties and may require extra hours or weekend working and its calculatd into your salary (yeah right!). Most companies i have worked for don't pay overtime unless in special circumstances, some don't even offer time off in lieu. Its a culture that i think sucks as i don't see why they should have peoples time for free and at many places you are regualary working past your contracted hours.

I walk Hobbes for about a half hour in the morning and an hour in the evening plus short pee breaks. I've only had him 6 weeks and worked up to this time slowly. At first he was only able to do about 15 minutes before he was lagging behind. Now he demands a long walk, and I obey. Hey it's cheaper then a gym membership :)

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest ProudGreyMom

DH takes the boys for a run in the morning - the length of time depends on my senior boy Jake. Sometimes he brings Jake home and goes back out with Andy. Our yard is fenced in so they are out there constantly playing and running. I will also walk them after work if Jake is up to it.

Guest DorianGreyhound

Usually I get up at 6 AM and walk the Whippet puppy half an hour, crate him, walk the Greyhound half an hour, then put them all in the van and hit the dog park at 7AM for thirty minutes off leash until 7 30. Then I come home, cuddle them all, and put them in crates and go to work. I get off work at noon and everybody gets a five minute solo walk to pee then back in the crate for about two more hours until 2 or 3, as I want them to adjust for when I start working eight hour days with a lunch break. That's also when I vacuum, mop, dust, and wash dog dishes and prepare their evening meals. If you have ever tried to mop with five dogs playing around, then you understand LOL Then everybody gets ANOTHER five minute solo walk to pee (I don't have a fence) and gets fed. Then they hang with me and play in the house until time for their evening LOOONG run and swim. That way no one is put at bloat risk- we don't go for an evening run until after 7 PM. After that, they chill while we eat and watch late night TV... then I take the Old Gold and the Old Whippet for their leash walks (half an hour each). (the 5th dog, Keira, the young Golden is my partner's hearing ear dog- I don't mess with her except routine grooming and the odd cuddle, as she is not meant to bond with ME. Her handler walks and plays with her constantly and takes her everywhere).

Sound like hard work? LOL it is. Wouldn't change a thing though I'd love a fenced yard!

Guest act2redux

We are both getting into shape for walking on concrete (most of the time) in temps that can go as high as 100 F.

We have been doing 30-45 mins. in the morning...if none of the neighbors catch us for a quick chat and pet.

Echo seems like she is worn to a frazzle by the time we get back from our morning walk, and right now the heat in the eve. after work is hideous, so we / I have been keeping it a little shorter. I am out of shape from not walking (Starre has arthritis in her hips so badly, I have had to forgo the walks) and so am looking forward to both of us getting ourselves in shape!

Guest act2redux
I agree with Marion - my personal belief is that dogs need to get out of their own house and yard purely for the mental stimulation and the different sights and smells on offer. If your dog is sociable, then that is yet another advantage for them, in meeting other dogs for social contact and/or play.

If you have an acre or so and your dog gets to run and play a good amount of time each day it's not so critical, but .. I bet if you asked any dog they'd STILL like to get out, just as people do.

Yep, I agree with this too-- 110%!!

My dogs get a 20 minute pre-work walk (not during cold weather though, because the salt on the road gets their paws all funked up) and about an hour walk when I get home.

Jen

Hmmmm....I haven't thought about that before - does the winter change this up much other than coats??

Guest spider9174

we have a normal walking route that is about 2 miles. depending on how many "stops" Gable makes, it could take us around 45 min--1hour. we have a fenced yard, but we like to get him out at least once a day for a walk. he'll get short walks of a couple blocks if the backyard is wet for potty breaks.

We walk around the neighborhood most mornings (around 20 minutes). We used to walk much more, but Shadow is getting older and had an accident last year that left him with some hind end weakness to the point where, if I push him too much one day, it might be several days before he can go again.

I have to say I miss that time. We used to go for long walks on the weekends to different places and both had so much fun. And going for walks is Shadow's favorite thing in the world to do. I still take him different places, just for shorter walks. :)

Sometimes I feel badly for Tori as she has much more stamina, but she has zero interest in walking by herself. So we get her to run in the backyard or play with her toys inside to burn off any extra energy.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

About 10 minutes in the morning, 30 minutes in the afternoon, 20 minutes in the evening, and 10-15 minutes at night. She seems content with it.

Sometimes we change it up by driving to the dog park (about 6 miles away) or I do a shorter walk and take her somewhere in the car like Planet Dog for her dog food.

I have no yard and am single, so I do all four walks. I do work from home, but it's full time--very full time--and I do have deadlines and must be at my desk at 9 am, sometimes earlier. I don't know how some people do an hour or more in the morning along with getting dressed, eating breakfast, etc. But then, I don't like to wake up before 7. Gretchen's morning walk is me in sweats, messy hair and unwashed face, hoping I don't run into anyone. :lol

Ooooo...my first greytalk post! I notice this conversation has been going on for over a year, so I figure why let it stop now. We walk our boy about an hour in the morning and 30-45 minutes in the evening. I'm lucky because I have a 5-minute commute, so I have more time at home than most people who work full time. Plus I need the exercise! I do try to include a run at some point in the walk if there is a baseball diamond or other fenced area we can sneak on to - he loves that!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

We are lucky to have a very large fenced yard and a daily visit from a dog walker, who lets the houndsies out to romp with her, so our babies don't get daily walks. Weekends, however, they get a great walk on one or two of several excellent trails we have nearby. They are quite content, I think.

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

Guest lapatte

we walk for about 15 minutes in teh early morning, then for about 20-25 minutes when we get home from work and then a third walk in the evening, just before dh goes to bed...and he says he walks for about 30 minutes...

when i'm at home like in the summer or on weekends, I walk her one more time in the afternoon, around lunch time.

nat

We have a fenced in yard but we walk. Depending on how they set the pace, it runs 20 -30 minutes for each walk. We walk 3-4 times a day and they have backyard priviledges too. They loooooooooooooove their walkies.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nmtighe

I am a newbie - got my girl "Lilly" the end of July. She gets about 1-2 hours walking each day, however, it is just me and her. I am widowed and have no children. She walks at 5:00 AM and then 7:30 AM before I leave for work. She is alone all day! When I get home, we go out for about 30-40 minutes and then again for about 15-20 at 7:30 before bedtime. She has adjusted wonderfully and has not had the first accident in the house.