How Much Time Do Your Greys...

Daily Walks...  

764 members have voted

1. 1. How much time do your Greys get walked daily?

• 2 or more hours...
    • 1 - 2 hours
    • 30 minutes - 1 hour
    • 15 - 30 minutes
    • my Grey doesn't get daily walks
    • my Grey never gets walked
    • Other...

With Gabe, we've been nursing a hurt paw since early August, but before that, we were walking 45 minutes in the morning, an hour in the evening, plus two or three 10-15 minute walks for bathroom breaks. His paw seems to be on the mend, and we're using a therapaw bootie, so we're trying to work him back up to longer walks. He LOVES them. I also have a fenced area at my apartment complex where he can run.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we normally go for about an hour, half in morning, half in the evening, and may go for a quickie 15 min. pee break at lunchtime if i am home. the evening walk is usually over at the fenced-in pasture so they get to do zoomies and burn off some energy. if the weather is bad, all bets are off tho & they insist on doing a quick poo/pee and back in before they melt. both of mine are allergic to rain and will melt, or so they tell me. i drag them out anyways and they so far have remained intact.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Copemantx

It varies around here with the weather. With the cooler weather, the walks are stretching out. When it is hot and muggy we both are panting to get in the door!

Guest VanillaBean

VanillaBean is a total Spook, so no walks for her. I have tried, as I do walk my 3 iggies every morning, but she will have none of it. If I try, I look like I am being a Mean Mommy, pulling her down the street. So, we go outside in the back yard and play with her, so she gets lots of Zoomies in!

• 2 weeks later...

Todd (2 yrs old) gets about 3-4 hours split up into five walks as i'm stay at home at the moment and our garden is tiny. He actually seems indefatigable and is constantly wanting to go, but i've think ive got into a spiral of increasing walk-time. So.... i'm trying to reduce it again gradually; It just seems so much! Surely it can't be right. My feet! His feet! Any U.K treadmills for greys?

I walk my grey Boo Zsee and my schnauzer Baer at 5:30 am for 25-30 minutes or about 1 miles. That is all I have time for in the morning without getting up earlier than 5. I try to get to bed before 10 but that rarely happens. :sleepy I have been walking them Monday - Friday and they run around in the yard. I am home on weekends so we try to play more in the yard. Boo Zsee also gets to go to a dog park for Greyhound time on Sundays for about 1 hour. In the summer, with longer daylight hours I will be trying to do more.

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

Guest lotsogreysmom

Dh and I walk our greys every morning for about 1/2 hour - 45mins. We still go if it's not pouring down rain. Then I take them back out for a walk with the entire pack for another 1/2 hour -45 min walk around 5pm. I have to say, we hardly ever walked our greys before because we have a large, fenced in yard but we started walking them everyday about 3-4 months ago and they absolutely LOVE their walks!!!! It is our bonding time and I look forward to walking them. I agree that they need to get away from their own yard and see/smell new things. Our dogs seem so much more balanced and settled now.

• 3 weeks later...

My answer can vary. This time of year, when it's cold and gets dark early, they get three 15 minute walks on weekdays (with quick runs into the little back yard for additional potty breaks.) Weekends it'll be four 15 minute walks.

In summer, however, it'll be three 15 minute walks and a 30 to 45 minute walk on weekdays, and weekends could mean 3 or 4 thirty minute walks.

• 3 months later...
Guest KsFrets

I put 1-2 hours, because that's a fair average. Every other day I take them to a fenced park and let them run their butts off...which only last 10 minutes on a good day + their normal 1/2 to hour walk later in the day. On non park days, I like to walk a lot longer.

Guest kimberllee

We walk much more on weekends, but we have a nice 45 minute or so walkie after work, if the weather isn't too bad. We're lucky to have quite a large backyard and Lexie does nearly full-on zoomies 2-3 times a day, so I hope that counts as some good exercise for her, as well. Now that the time will be changing this weekend, I hope it will inspire us to stay out and walk longer at night. It's just not much fun walking in the dark! B)

Guest greytpets

Mine go for between 45min-1hr walk daily and thats plenty for them, they get to run around off lead which tires them out and Ive also got a backyard so they can go to whenever they like ;)

Guest StagnBob

We are up at 5.30 in the morning to walk our pack, (that way they all get walked and DH and I get to spend some time together and have breakfast, before he goes to work around 8am.) We are out for about 45 minutes, it was hard during the winter months as it was dark from start to finish, and we walk country tracks around fields - no lighting!

On my afternoons off (x3) I try to get some, if not all dogs walked, this can take me up to three walks! They get around a half hour then. I come home from work during my lunch hour on the other two days for pee breaks and then rope the kids into helping with the afternoon walks.

We let them out around 10pm for a final pee break before bed - then it all starts over again!

Loving every minute of it though, wouldn't change it for the world

I picked the 1 to 2 hours simply because we do not have a fenced in yard. So, in the morning they get a 15 to 20 minute walk, in the afternoon they get about a 30 minute walk, just before supper a 15 - 20 minute walk, and before bed another 12 to 20 minutes. On the weekends it is usually longer. Being in the north, there have to be some short days because of the weather. My greys hate the sleet! They would rather not eat than go out in the sleet. I don't blame them, it HURTS!

Guest LazyBones

gumby's walks have gotten shorter. usually it's about 10 minutes now, because she does have arthritis/weakness in her back legs. i wish i could walk her longer, since i have started walking more myself, but of course i don't want to cause her any discomfort. on the plus side, she still does get excited when i say that magical "W" word, and does a little happy dance.

• 1 month later...
Guest AndyUK

20 minute walk in the morning before work (around 6.40 am)

40 - 60 minute walk in the evening when I get in form work (around 7ish) though in the summer I usually wait until it has cooled down.

She usually has a 5 minute run around the garden at least once a day too

Guest tarasue

Will goes out 4 - 5 times a day usually for 15 - 30 minutes at a time. When Tara was with me she towards the end, she would just go out to pee and poop and then come back in.

• 3 months later...
Guest lionessgrace

I do the morning walks and go about 45 minutes. My husband handles the evening walk and goes about the same. Of course, if there are good smells then the walk ends up longer. It's about 2.5 miles a day total, I would say. Once a week we go across to the school yard and run them off-leash. Sometimes more often, but Xena gets to limping if she is run too much.

Guest connerb1

We walk just about an hour every evening. Sometimes in the mornings we run a mile. It's too hot this time of year to run in the evening. Occasionally we will walk an hour and half but that is the exception not the rule. We both work full time so time gets to be an issue with us................................Bob

Guest DarkHorse

Araley gets three or four walks a day....all of which are at least fifteen minutes and one of which (normally the later afternoon one) is about 45 minutes. Living in an apartment, she has to be leash-walked to go to the washroom so that adds quite a bit.

About once or twice a week we all go on a hour and a half or more evening walk....once it's cooled down enough that walking is comfortable. I'm sure those will phase out a bit once it turns cold, for Araley's sake as much as ours.

Although we have a large backyard that is fenced in Lady Chauncey loves her walks so she gets a 15 minute walk in the morning before I go to work and then anywhere from a 15 minute walk to an hour at night depends on what is going on. She also gets lots of running time in the backyard and then goes with us on the weekend to run in a fenced in ball park.

• 1 month later...
Guest greytgrandma

on nice days I walk Hot Rod 30 min to an hour around2:30 in the afternoon. If Josh gets home early enough from work he takes him for another walk in the evening.

when the weather is bad he just goes out to do his jobs then comes back in.Those days I take a book or some needlework over and just sit in the living room with him for an hour while he just does his usual laying around LOL

When he is visiting at our house he gets about a 30 min walk in the morning a potty walk in the middle of the afternoon then another 30 to 40 min walk in the evening and a quick potty walk before bed.

Edited by greytgrandma