Lena Can't Walk!

Guest littlesyd85

Guest littlesyd85
I just got a phone call from my husband... He said that our 10 year old Lena can't walk or even stand on her back legs. I could hear her yelping in the background when she was trying to get up! I am leaving work soon and taking her to the vet (they could squeeze me in at 3:20) I just need some thoughts and prayers that my girl is going to be alright!

Don't panic, and don't make any rash decisions - statistically this is probably FCE (fibrocartilaginous embolism, aka spinal stroke). It's sudden and devastating, but with time most dogs make a full or near-full recovery. There's no "magic bullet fix", the only real cure is time. Some dogs are up and walking within days, and some take a little longer. Thankfully it's almost always a one-time occurance. Please keep us posted!

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Oh no!

Sending healing prayers for your sweet girl.

:hope :hope

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest Energy11

This exact thing happened to my friend's grey, also 10. Her vet never figured out what it was, but the dog is fully recoverd, and doing well. She is on Deramaxx, twice daily, and joint supplements, too.

Good luck, and please try not to worry! Love, hugs and prayers!

Sending prayers!!!

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

:hope:hope:hope For Lena

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Sending prayers out to you. Our Gracie was non-ambulatory this summer after a stroke, and I know how scary it is. Please keep us posted on how she is doing and how the vet appointment goes.

Gentle hugs to you at this scary time.

Lisa, Matt, Travis, and Kathryn

Furkids: Gracie (Styled Princess) and felines Tilly and Nike

SignatureGreytalk.jpg

Prayers that this will pass and she will be OK. You must be out of your mind in fear.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Don't panic, and don't make any rash decisions - statistically this is probably FCE (fibrocartilaginous embolism, aka spinal stroke). It's sudden and devastating, but with time most dogs make a full or near-full recovery. There's no "magic bullet fix", the only real cure is time. Some dogs are up and walking within days, and some take a little longer. Thankfully it's almost always a one-time occurance. Please keep us posted!

Dr. Couto spoke about this in August at the 3 G's event and says that baby aspirin (not sure if just one or two???) is HUGELY helpful with FCE! I went out and bought a bottle after we got home because of what he advised!

sending many prayers for your little girl!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Give her an 81mg aspirin right away in case it is a FCE or a stroke. When Dylan woke up one morning and couldn't walk, we were in contact with Dr. Couto and he said to give an 81mg aspirin right away and then a 1/2 of one every day for the rest of his life. He was walking normally within a few days. Completely healed after about a month. He is 100% now. Prayers coming for Lena....

Guest dobiegrey

My sister's 12 year old mix breed doggie had a FCE several months ago and we were scared to death!!! But he is almost fully recovered, he too is on Deramaxx.

Like Elizabeth says DON"T make any fast decisions.

Hang tough

Lots of prayers coming your way!!!

Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Yikes, hoping it is nothing serious. :goodluck:hope With Koda being an FCE survivor (100% recovered) I have some experience and knowledge of it....I am a bit skeptical that that is what you are dealing with. It is not common in a senior pup....more common around 4-6 years. And they are not in pain therefore she should not be yelping. It sounds like she may be in some internal pain and/or has hurt herself (spine or hip). Sending positive thoughts.... :grouphug