Constant Bum Licking... What Could This Mean?

Henry has been licking his bum ALL the time recently. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed with his routine or diet. He's eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom normally. We've never had to express anal glands before, but I'm wondering if that might be the culprit? Would his anal sac have been affected by him being a rear tripawd? Thanks in advance!

Sounds like anal glands. I have a rear leg amputee too - I don't think this is a factor in anal gland problems.

If you want to save a trip to the vet, most good groomers can express the anal glands for you. If there is any infection going on, they'll see it when they empty the glands for you.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Sounds like his anal glands need to be expressed. Often the cause for full glands is idiopathic. I would run him into the vets to have them expressed solely because this is a new finding for him--they will be able to diagnose an infection (if one is present). As an FYI-many groomers only express them externally--that's rather ineffective.

I vote impacted anal glands. About a year ago I posted that Elliott was constantly licking his bum despite having recently had his glands expressed. At the advice of other greytalkers we took him back for a recheck and he had an infection in his anal glands which could have become serious if we hadn't brought him in when we did.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Instructional videos are good for regular expression if you want to deal with the smell and ick factor. :puke

My neighbors boxer was just in about two weeks ago for this. He'd developed a cyst in his anal glands. They lanced it and put him on antibiotics and he's all better.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Ewh. LOL I don't want to perform this lol....I know it's a necessity but sheesh....

I have also found (this isn't the time of year for it) but fleas! Fleas like to hang out around there. Kasey has been bothered in that area before by those buggers.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Heyokha has had to have his done a couple of times, and he didn't present with odor either, just excessive licking :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

One of my iggies needs his checked out every few months. Thankfully he's never had an infection or anything, but, he's also never shown any symptoms, it's just something our vet checks when he's in for a checkup.

Hopefully it's something simple and easily handled :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Just got back from the vet today. They expressed his anal glands, and they were full, so that was definitely the culprit. I can't imagine why or how he suddenly started having anal gland issues at age 7, but we'll be monitoring closely from now on. The vet also suggested using Tucks pads to help with the irritation. Thanks to everybody for commenting and pointing me in the right direction!

You may never need to have them expressed again. While there's a lot of theory's to why they fill often it's idiopathic. You'll hear to add more fiber to the food..... I can tell you it doesn't make a difference. I have expressed my share of AGs and most of those dogs have bouncing off the sidewalk stools. There can be anatomic reasons but, often those pets have chronic problems.

Hopefully, you'll be able to put this behind (snicker) you and he'll never need them expressed again. (Btw-you can express them too frequently --you will cause inflammation which in turn will cause more secretion....becomes a viscous cycle)

You may never need to have them expressed again. While there's a lot of theory's to why they fill often it's idiopathic. You'll hear to add more fiber to the food..... I can tell you it doesn't make a difference. I have expressed my share of AGs and most of those dogs have bouncing off the sidewalk stools. There can be anatomic reasons but, often those pets have chronic problems.

Hopefully, you'll be able to put this behind (snicker) you and he'll never need them expressed again. (Btw-you can express them too frequently --you will cause inflammation which in turn will cause more secretion....becomes a viscous cycle)

Ok, I have to laugh at the apropos typo here :lol

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Ok, I have to laugh at the apropos typo here :lol

Hahahahaha! Viscous!

Here is a video of Truman this morning when Henry left the room to get his anal glands taken care of... Pathetic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k1N2rPGAAs&sns=em

ETA: Henry was largely unimpressed.

1glpa8.jpg

Edited by a_daerr

We also randomly had 1 full anal gland causing some serious butt licking, which isn't terribly common in big dogs. None of the distinctive smell, but Marvin all of a sudden started dragging his rear across the carpet(!) One short trip to the vet, an awkward 'expression' from our hound, and he was back to his old self in no time. So far, it seems to have been a one-and-done thing, and there was no way I was attempting the remedy on my own, with or without youtube :) Henry, you're adorable.

Welp... it's been a week following the anal gland expression, and he's still licking all the time. The vet suggested that I wipe his bum with Tuck's soothing wipes a few times a day in the event that the skin is irritated. I've been doing that, but I'm still a little bit concerned there might be some residual problem, like an infection or abscess. How long would you wait before bringing him back in?

Anal glands were full again!!! :puke

I hope this doesn't become a recurring thing.

As gross as it is that's what they do. No infection? He might just have some butt irritation from licking. Do you have any Animax? If not I would apply some hydrocortisone cream around his anus to reduce any lingering irritation.