Constant Bum Licking... What Could This Mean?

As gross as it is that's what they do. No infection? He might just have some butt irritation from licking. Do you have any Animax? If not I would apply some hydrocortisone cream around his anus to reduce any lingering irritation.

I don't have Animax... I could ask my vet, though. No signs of infection (she said it's typical anal gland fluid, no blood or pus).

Would it be mean to muzzle & stoolguard him to stop him from licking?

Couldn't be any worse than his post-amputation abscess. I had to manually express and flush that thing at home. The smell was so rancid, it made me dry heave! That was the only time I ever looked at him and thought, "If I didn't love you so much, there's no way in hell I'd be doing this." :lol

Edited by a_daerr

Thanks for sharing on this topic - I hope your guy's glands aren't just going to fill like crazy over and over again. A resurgence beyond the normal rear licking has me thinking I should probably have guy's glands re-checked. Our vet had asked us if we had made any dietary changes, as it seems these glands tend to express themselves normally with reasonably firm poo. We haven't had any issues since a food change last year firmed things up. I'm glad to hear that they aren't infected or impacted...that can require surgery. If some butt-ointment is the worst thing on the docket, that's pretty good! Our guy licked his butt so badly that he created a sore under his tail that would not heal and we had to put him in shorts (converted boxers with an added drawstring) to keep him away from it long enough to heal.

You are an awesome hound mom :star

• 1 month later...

Alright, so it's about two months later, and Henry's doing his bum licking again. :( I've been giving him the occasional RMB (Primal brand bison marrow bones), but stopped for a few weeks because our pet store was sold out. I picked up another bag, and he's had two so far (he gets them once a week). Could it be that the bones are firming him up too much, and possibly making him a bit constipated? If he's straining to go, maybe that's resulting in the full anal glands... Or am I over thinking this?

In the meantime, he has an appointment to get his glands expressed. Poor Hen.