How Much Do You Feed Your Greyhound?

Guest henrytow

How many cups of kibble do you feed your dog every day?  

1,221 members have voted

1. 1. How many cups of kibble do you feed your dog every day?

• Answers are in terms of total cups per day.
    • less than 3
    • 3 1/2
    • 4 1/2
    • 5 1/2
    • 6 1/2
    • 7 1/2
    • more than 8
    • do not feed kibble or question otherwise irrelevant

Guest socact

The adoption agency told me Ruben got 6 cups of kibble a day, but whoa, he won't eat nearly that much for me! I'm lucky if he eats 2 cups a day. I guess I should try adding something in there, since he clearly prefers not to eat it. I try not to give him people food, but I think he developed a taste for it, and now he won't eat kibble!

He's 60 lbs., so pretty small for a greyhound (he's a lurcher), but very active. I'll try adding some yogurt and/or cottage cheese to see if I can get him up to 3 cups a day.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MAXNAV

I feed 2 cups of kibble 2x a day. My guy raced at 75, and he's at 81-82. The vet says he's at a perfect weight. I've seen some that could use a few extra pounds.

Edited by MAXNAV

Guest gr8hound47

My big guy gets 16 oz in the AM & 12-13 oz in the PM, my other boy and tiny girl get 12-13 oz in the AM and 10-11 oz in the PM. We weigh monthly and adjust their food based on if they are overweight or have lost. Has worked real well for us. Has kept our big guy at 83#, my other boy at 60#, and my girl at 45-46#.

Guest Amber

When I used to feed dog food, mine got between 3 and 4 cups a day.

Now on raw, they have a dried tripe stick for breakfast, one RMB (like chicken back or rib portion) for lunch and one 450g ground mix of tripe and lamb or similar for dinner. I think Oscar is getting a little bit porky again though, so I'm going to cut down the tripe part a bit and see how he goes.

Edited by Amber

Three of our females get about 1 1/2 cups twice a day, Belle who is the larger female and 4 years old gets 2 cups twice a day, Penske our only male gets about 2 1/4 cups twice a day. We feed a mixture of Authority adult & Lite. We also add about 1 tablespoon of canned and a small amount of water.

Softee who is almost 15 gets what ever she wants when she wants it (my vet said the older dogs only get about 60% nutrition out of what they eat) she also gets ensure if she is not eating. There are days that she has eaten about 5 cups of food in a day and she is as skinny as a rail. Vet says that all her vitals are greyt and the main problem she has is some arthritis in her hind legs. As long as she has quality of life we will keep her going and there are days I swear she acts like a puppy. She also gets glycoflex

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest Major_Houlihan

Hi,

Since Hazel has settled in, her feeding has stabilized. She gets 2 cups of kibble, 1/4 can of wet (Purina ONE) and a tablespoon of yougrt in the morning, and in the afternoon she gets one cup of kibble, 1/4 cup can, 1 tablespoon yogurt.

She also gets a biscuit or two in the evening. And now that she is really come out of her shell, she is becoming more bolder in reaching for food. So if she is quick enough she'll grab a cookie or part of a pop tart from son's bowl,lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MJandthe6

I feed my big boy about 1600 calories a day. My smaller girl--about 1400. I feed a kibble with 360 cal. per cup so each gets approximately 2 "short" cups twice daily. They're "short" because I make them homemade doggie food and everyone gets a couple of spoons of that. Then sometimes we eat cookies (the large milk bone is 120 cal. each) but this figures into to their daily intake. They are all quite active--we walk at least 30-45 minutes a day in addition to our daily routine. If I notice someone is getting chubby or if there's a loss then I just adjust the food. I once read that you should feed however much a dog can eat in 10 minutes! :eek A couple of my guys could put a serious dent in a 50 lb. bag in that amount of time--I have a few bad "chow hounds." Just having a few guidelines and paying attention seems to work best for me.

• 1 month later...
:colgate:colgate:colgate

You should be able to see there last three ribs and have an hour glass shape to them.

Woolfy

:gh_bow:gh_bow:gh_bow

So it's the last 3 ribs? Is that the official greyhound healthy weight? I've been confused because I've been told so many differant things....but the majority of what I've been told is last rib and be able to feel them all. My boys you can see the last rib and feel them all...but seeing the last 3 had Lucius looking skeletal. Are they overweight?

Lily gets 2 1/2 cups of Pro Plan 2x a day plus a couple dollops of yoghurt, cookies, and sometimes a taste of whatever we have. This might sound like a lot, but she is very active (apparently she missed the "couch potato" memo--having a JRT for a brother helps, too :lol ).

When we got her over a year ago, she weighed 70 lbs. She now weighs in at only 73 lbs. and still has great muscle definition and obvious hipbones and shows about 4 ribs.

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest EMcElfresh
:colgate:colgate:colgate

You should be able to see there last three ribs and have an hour glass shape to them.

Woolfy

:gh_bow:gh_bow:gh_bow

So it's the last 3 ribs? Is that the official greyhound healthy weight? I've been confused because I've been told so many differant things....but the majority of what I've been told is last rib and be able to feel them all. My boys you can see the last rib and feel them all...but seeing the last 3 had Lucius looking skeletal. Are they overweight?

Some dogs are "ribbier" than others - so if 3 ribs makes your dog look super skeletal, then perhaps that's a bad way to eyeball it. I like to use the hip points (the little bones on either side of their back, about 4-6 inches from where the tail starts. If they are showing - but are about thumbnail sized (meaning not sticking out an inch, but definately visable) then you are probably good. This seems to be a more "standard" way to be able to tell if a dog is too skinny or too chubby. Gordon will always show spine and a couple ribs even if tubby, it's his tuck that goes first - so I use hips to tell how he's doing.

Speaking of Gman - I feed raw. :D He gets around 2 lbs a day...but as you raw feeders know, sometimes it's more sometimes it's less (I don't measure or hack things into exact amounts...just feed less or more next meal). He's at 80lbs as of the Greyhound Expo (got weighed on the track scale!) - he raced at 78 or 79 lbs (can't remember which). At 80 lbs he is the largest dog I have had in my home (I have fostered 8-9 dogs at this point) so having a lot of 90 lbers on here is unusual, but perhaps not unheard of? :unsure He was a healthy (not too thin) track dog - and I like to keep him there. A lb or two extra I don't stress, he's gone down to 70 before (talk about skeletal!!) because of meds after surgery making him nausous - so the extra 1-2 lbs is nice for when he's feelin' off or gets meds...but more than that and he gets extra walks ;)

eta : I feed Gordon 2 lbs because between 1.6lbs and 2.4lbs is the 2-3% range I read is the average to feed an adult dog his size...with kibble, how does it translate? Do you really feed 2 lbs of kibble? Kibble seems pretty light to me for how calorific/nutrient dense it is...if I feed Gordon more than 2 cups of kibble a day, he gets faaaaaaat.

Edited by EMcElfresh

Mine have food available all the time, I feed all 3 free choice. Nova, the Grey, is naturally a bit thin, and she gets all she wants, plus treats. The Dachshund is typical of the breed, and tends towards chubby, and the Corgi has maintained his current weight for 5 years. I didn't vote since there is no free choice, and the amount they each varies by day.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Elcyion

I feed my grey 9 dl/day. If I got it right, that should be 4 cups. Right now I´m transfering from James wellbeloved to a swedish food called Standardt.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest JustLiverTreats

the boys are happily fed raw here...we used to feed wellness original - 4 c to the grey and 2 cups to the puppy....the grey never did gain any weight on it, even after bumping up the amount...

• 4 weeks later...

No matter what brand of food I've fed, our Grey is offered 4 cups of dry kibble a day with a couple of spoonfulls of canned in the morning meal. Now, he is a picky eater and the only dog here so we let him free feed. Sometimes, he will eat two meals a day and sometimes only one meal a day. Not unusual for him to eat his breakfast for dinner. He seems to be in good health and weight so I don't worry if he only eats 2 cups a day now and then.

• 2 months later...
Guest fatesrelease

One cup in the morning one cup at night. Was eating purina chow at the kennel so we are mixing it with wellness super five complete health until the bag of chow is gone.

Guest Judynyc

I don't free feed here as one dog woyld scoff up all the food . :lol

Leyla, my greyhound, is fed twice a day. She gets 2.5 cups kibble total, 8 ozs sweet potato and a heaping Tbls of wet food mixed with the potato and a bit of warm water into a mash and then mix the kibble in.

She really chows down...her previous owner feed her kibble only and she didn't eat well at all, just picked at the food.

I feed Natural Balance duck potato and am in the process of switching them over to the salmon and sweet potato. When switching over, I use a bit of Tylan powder.

Guest maggiemay

My pup is around 60lbs and gets 1 1/2 cups of Proplan a day split into two meals plus about 200g of (quality) dog knob at night.

I feel cruel now looking at the other posts but I struggle to get that much food into her and the vet assures me that she's a good weight.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fatesrelease

We were feeding Sarah 1 cup in the morning and one at night like the group reccomended but she's lost a bit of weight and when I went to visit the vet she told me to up her food a bit at night so now we are trying 1 1/4 and if she needs more we'll up it to 1 1/2.

All 3 of our hounds are free fed (as is the kitty). I was lucky in getting pups who all self regulate. Everyone is a great weight :)

VPCTshirtLogo3-1-1.jpg

petblink7.gifpetblink63.gif

"Speak your mind - even if your voice shakes" - Maggie Kuhn

"It's better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you are not" - Unknown

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "Oh Crap. She's up." - Unknown

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Nitemare

I feed Fromms and am only suppose to feed 3 to 3 1/2 cups per day. My 55 lb. female gets 4 total cups a day and she looks awesome and my 70 lb. male we just upped to 4 1/2 cups a day because he could use a pound or two. Not much, just a tad more weight.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...