How Much Do You Feed Your Greyhound?

Guest henrytow

How many cups of kibble do you feed your dog every day?  

1,221 members have voted

1. 1. How many cups of kibble do you feed your dog every day?

• Answers are in terms of total cups per day.
    • less than 3
    • 3 1/2
    • 4 1/2
    • 5 1/2
    • 6 1/2
    • 7 1/2
    • more than 8
    • do not feed kibble or question otherwise irrelevant

Guest greycious_gal

Monty gets slightly less than 2 cups twice a day. (70 lbs)

Brin is more like 1 and 3/4 cups twice a day. (60 lbs)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wycheck gets just a little less that 4 cups a day, fed at two meals, of pro plan extra care sensitive skin/stomach.

He also gets yogert and cottage cheese on his food at night and gets a 3v essential oil caplet at breakfast. He weighs about 83-5 pounds and is 31 inches tall, and is close to three years old, but he is not a very active boy :)

Guest greytmomof3

We feed four cups of kibble per day. I do add some tune, chicken, ground beef, egg or something different everyday to add flavor.

About 1.5 cups of kibble and a heaping tablespoon of canned 2x per day. They also get a couple of biscuit treats.

Nancy

th_Chancepool.jpgmissing my Angel, Chance ~ 1/23/99 - 1/24/08 (Fortified Heart)

"...for every joy that passes, something beautiful remains"

4 cups of Natural Blend a day: 2 in the am and 2 in the pm. She also gets a spoonful of canned ProPlan mixed in. If we've got steak, chicken, or turkey leftovers she'll get a little bit of that mixed in with her dinner too (she's extremely spoiled :P )

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Clevelands Mom

I agree that the type of food being used will cause the amount to vary greatly. Both my boys are on the larger side, Cleveland is 84 pounds and Albert is 75 pounds. We switch between Canidae and Chicken Soup kibble and use high quality canned food in addition.

I feed them twice a day and the quantity of each feeding is 1 and 1/2 cup dry mixed with 1/2 can. After dinner we usually mix in leftover veggies and meat with the evening feeding as well. With the additional doggie treats (and human treats the kids slip them) they are maintaining their weight very well.

Now that the weather is getting warmer and their activity level is increased, I may have to bump up the amount of dry food they are getting.

Edited by Cleveland's Mom

Guest AlexandraW

I had to translate cups to decilitres, but I give approx. 3 cups a day. 1 in the morning at 2 at night. Bork is pretty big but only weighs about 66 lbs (impossible to ger mnore weight on him). I use a Swedish brand of kibble.

When i used Eagle pack I had to feed five cups a day and Bork still lost weight. Millis has just arrived and is still eating what she is used to - Eagle pack - and she gets 4 cups, but I will switch her ower to the brand I use. I'll see how much she needs of it. Don't know what her weight is, will put her on the scale when I visit the vet next time.

Both dogs are very active as they are with me in the stables, when I go for a ride and also gets a daily 6 kilometer walk that includes running like mad in a big open field ;) They are also off leash on my yard and runs around pretty much both on the yard and in the horses fields.

We were feeding Shadow 5 cups a day, but with his daily PB, cookies, marrow bones, etc. his weight started to creep up. Since we know he likes his treats better than his meals (and since we feed him healthy treats) we decided it made more sense to cut back on his meals.

He also gets extras mixed into his meals, like eggs, veggies, etc.

He's maintained his weight for over a year now and we always get compliments on how svelte he looks ;)

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest AnnesMenagerie

Very interesting poll!!!

Molly gets 3 cups of Nutro/day with treats and stuff. I'm trying her on Natural Balance - so, we'll see if she needs more/less of that to maintain her svelte shape.

She's only 3 and gets moderate exercise. She gained about 5-6 pounds when I got her and is now maintaining her weight (self-fasts a couple meals every couple weeks).

Guest Meredith

Jane and Porsche each get 4c day, 2 a.m. and 2 p.m. but I am cutting them back slowly to 3 1/2c or so because they don't always eat everything I put out, and they frequently raid the kitchen at night. We feed Nutro Natural Choice for Sensitive Stomachs.

Porsche is actually on the thin side (always has been), and Jane has always been a little stockier (she also never raced, so her "racing weight" is a nonissue). Vet says Jane's weight is fine (she's about 68 1/2 lbs, and was 67 when I got her a year ago), even tho' her last 3 ribs aren't visible. She's built like a mack truck. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jengonetothedogs

My greys [& my GSD, actually] all get between 3c. & 3 1/2c. kibble [Wellness], 3 hefty forkfulls of canned spinach, 1-3 TBS pumpkin [that's new for us] & a buncha buncha treats [sometimes large or regular greenies, one 'cup treat' (TBS Peanut Butter w/ 10 or so kibble bits), & 2-5 mini bones-- Mother Hubbard's--per day.

It depends on the weather/season. Angie eats less when it's hot out, in my experience. Aside from that, she gets between 3-4 cups of Nutro large breed (blue bag) once a day (and nibbles on it all day long). I forget what she weighed in Feb for her dental, but she *looks* just right.

She also gets the occasional bone/turkey neck/pig ear/dog biscuit, and sometimes goodies added to her kibble.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Guest greyt2foster

This is really interesting to me, since we're new with this greyhound fostering.

So any extra input is helpful to me, and I've read what's been written so far. So many different answers!

I am feeding Sydney 4-5 cups of Nutro Natural Choice, split into 2 meals, daily. Plus she gets a few cookies daily too.

She was 62 pounds when she came to us a month ago, but I'm not sure where she's at now.

Our lab has eaten this food for over 2 years now, because it was helping his skin and coat problems, and then we were told that this food was good for the greys too. I'm constantly wondering if I'm over or under feeding her though. She seems to be satisfied, finishes every bit... but I still wonder.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frank gets 4 cups of kibble per day split into two meals and also usually a cookie or two and some dinner leftovers. He is a BIG boy and maintains a nice healthy weight at 81 lbs. He looks skinny at that weight but he raced at 76# and the vet concurs he is at a good weight. He's a tall, thin build very "leggy" greyhound.

She seems to be satisfied, finishes every bit... but I still wonder.

I pop by the vet every now and then to weigh my dogs on the scale, see if they're losing, gaining, or maintaining. It's hard to tell by looking at them.

My two would eat anything I gave them, anytime, and still beg for more.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have switched Ali to about 2 1/2 cups per day. I figure she was eating up to 4 cups per day with all of the sampling and cleaning of left over kibble left in the other dishes. She needs to loss 5 or 6 lbs. So I am feeding under 3 cups per day.

Guest Grhndad
I checked 4 cups in the poll but that may not be actually right. My little girl, Katie, gets 3 cups, She is 43 LB. The big girls get 3 1/2 and my big boy gets 4. This is spread over three feedings. They also get a serving spoon of yogurt and at the evening meal they each get a serving spoon of steamed rice and a serving spoon of a green or yellow veggie. We feed Nuro Natural Choice Senior. Even though the youngest is 4, she is doing very good on the senior food. Maintaining her weight and her high activity level. In fact she is still at her racing weight.

I feed them Maxim Fish and Potato kibble. Phoenix gets about 2.25 cups a day (72 lbs) and Loca just under 2 cups (57 lbs). I used to feed them Nutro Lamb and rice; they ate twice as much.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest sammielover

I feed Abady Stress and Maint. with Raw diet. Val gets 1/3 cup dry and 1/3 cup meat morning and night. He is maintaining 80 lbs. He gets 1 1/3 cups total per day and does great. No supplements needed. Great coat and skin clear eyes etc.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest crzy4grys

Frankie & Ozzy(Mr. Picky butt) get 2 cups in am and 2 in pm. I feed Merrick can food and K/D dry. Plus they get their biscuits, greenies, dental bones and yogurt drops, and a spoon of yougart with PM feeding. When Ozzy needs to be pushed to eat I will sprinkle a tablespoon of shredded cheese over his and sometimes for breakfast I mix eggs scrambled eggs with it.

I don't free feed, Frankie is a 4 legged garbage disposal.!

Guest abbottandsyd

I voted 4 because Abbott gets 2 cups of Nutro Lamb and Rice in the morning and two at night (he was getting 4.5 per day, but he's gotten a little too "smooth", it seems) but Queenie gets 3 to 3.5, depending on how she's eating.

Guest bella9883

max came to me weighing 70#.... after a month he is around 75#-- I think he looks healthier-- definately not over weight and is moderately active... he gets about 5-6 cups a day...

Guest sjarp

Gabe and Adam get 3 cups Nutro a day each (1/2 a.m. and 1/2 p.m.) plus either a kong or greenie and a cookie or two. I mix 1/2 cup of something in each time such as yogurt, cottage cheese, hamburger etc. making a total of 4 cups a day each.