How Much Do You Feed Your Greyhound?

Guest henrytow

How many cups of kibble do you feed your dog every day?  

1,221 members have voted

1. 1. How many cups of kibble do you feed your dog every day?

• Answers are in terms of total cups per day.
    • less than 3
    • 3 1/2
    • 4 1/2
    • 5 1/2
    • 6 1/2
    • 7 1/2
    • more than 8
    • do not feed kibble or question otherwise irrelevant

Guest Kellier

Chipper is an 80 lbs male. We feed him 5 c. of Canidae and plus probably 1/2 c of various adddions (yogurt, wet food, veggies, etc.) split into am and pm meals. This is based on the 6 c. his foster was feeding him (It was Pedigree, I think). Does this seem like a lot to you guys? We walk him about 3 miles a day and he runs around the yard a bit, but otherwise zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Leilani

My greyhound eats four cups per day of super premium holistic kibble (EVO or Prairie though I just bought a bag of Timberwolf for her to try), fed in two meals of 2 cups each. Each meal she gets half a can of Merrick. A different "blend/flavor" each day. Also, mid-day she gets a turkey neck or chicken back as a snack. Once she is the weight I want her (maybe 2 or 3 more pounds, I may shave off one cup of food per day, but I'm not sure. It depends how she looks!

The Whippet, who is a bit chunky at 37 pounds (looks his best at about 34, and is only 21 inches tall) only eats 1 cup of EVO and a chicken back or turkey neck. Sometimes he only gets raw. The only kibble he gets ever is the EVO.

The pup eats mass quantities of food- five cups of kibble and two chicken backs/turkey necks plus canned mixed in. And she's only 55 pounds in perfect weight.

So it really depends on the dog

PS my Grey weighs 65 and her racing weight was 62

And if Chipper looks good, then that's what counts!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tamaralynn

I feed Diablo 4 1/2 cups of Purina One Lamb and Rice twice a day (2 cups in the a.m. and 2 1/2 c. in the p.m.) In addition, he also gets treats (Milkbones) several times a day. Even so, he'll still gobble up my small dogs' Eukanuba in a heartbeat if he can get it!! :eek: Do ya'll think he's getting enough?

Guest DeVon

I have two greys. Lori Ann, almost 13 years old, weighed in at 71 pounds last vet check (was 75 pounds for several years). She is on 4 cups of Pro Plan a day total. Randy is much larger than her, and when we took him in to be weighed, it only said 75, which I still think is way off. They didn't have an accurate weight on him when he was first picked up by AC in 2003 and turned over to Race The Wind, they had originally guessed at 75. He was very thin when I got him in October, and is still on 5 cups of Pro Plan per day (we had started him off on 4 in the beginning, but upped it when he wasn't gaining). Hopefully we can get another weigh-in soon! He has put on weight since I first brought him home :)

• 5 months later...
Guest spider9174

I'm in the 5-5.5 cups a day range. I feed Nutro adult lamb and rice. He also gets 1tbs yogurt 2x/day, biscuits, and a kong with peanut butter a couple of times a week. OH...and I add a little bit of bacon grease to his food 1x/week. He's big though, 85 pounds and very tall.

Guest WI_grey_mom

Bo is an 86# male and I've been feeding his about 4 - 4 1/2 cupsof Canidae a day, with something on top... tuna, pumpkin, yogurt, veggies, olive oil...

He isn't much of a treat begger, so he really doesn't get much inbetween. We've only had him for a month, and he isn't losing weight... or gaining much either. But is going #2 between 3-4 times a day! :eek

• 1 month later...
Guest mountain4greys

We feed our 3 girls 3 cups a day each. 4 cups they wouldn't finish. They eat Nutro with a taste of Chicken Soup for the dog lovers Soul canned, and a little yougert or pumkin. We constantly watch their weight, and they do good this way.

:gh_run:gh_run

Guest SurlyJen

Aley gets 4 cups/day of Nutro Lamb Meal and Rice for Healthy Skin and Coat...2 in the morning and 2 at night. He gets a portion of that in his Kong each morning and afternoon. He also gets a combination of some of the following on top of his kibble: yogurt, pumpkin, chicken, turkey hotdogs, rice and veggie mixture. Not to mention training treats of pea-sized liverwurst, cheese, turkey hotdogs and chicken chunks (not too much!) His racing weight was 73 lbs, when he came to me from the adoption agency he weighed 71 lbs, and now he weighs 76 lbs.

Aley and I take two brisk 40-45 minute walks per day, as well as 3-4 quick 10 minute jaunts around the 'hood for potty breaks. We don't have a back yard, so he gets to go to the doggy park once a week to stretch his legs. He's in really great shape...3-4 ribs showing, really defined muscle tone in his chest and legs, nice tuck. He's got plenty of energy, but not an overabundance. He just turned 2, so he's still a teenager, and has a pretty fast metabolism. If I feed him any less, he loses weight quickly.

Guest CARLOTTA

When I got Carly a month ago she weighed 53 pounds. Last week I weighed her at the vet and she weighed 58.4 pounds. I can still see every rib and her spine is sticking out. She gets fed two times a day. I give her almost 6 cups of Science Diet dental mixed with either yoghurt or a wet dog food. This is much more than suggested, but as I said she is still very thin. What do you think?

Guest kaotic1

Well this is funny but when Jordan came home last night her notes from her foster mom say she is eating 1 cup and 1/8 of dry food with a little bit of wet and some supplements. I thought for sure those direction had to be WRONG...I mean 2 1/4 cups of food. But that is only slightly less than the back of the food sack says.

I give both my boy (62 lbs) 3 cups of 1/2 nutro blue and 1/2 Iams red and my girl (68) lbs. I give it in 1.5 cups 2x a day.

I was told to NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER give greenies as there have been several deaths from it.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• 2 months later...
Guest Winterwish

I checked 4 1/2 cups. But that's really just 3 cups of kibble,and about 1 1/2 cups of add ins,like broccolli,carrots,chicken,or fish.

My grey is 74 pounds generally.

I didn't vote becasue I have 3 dogs with 3 different weights.

Beau, weighs 63 pounds. he weighed 62 on the track ,but muscle weighs a lot more than fat so, he's maintaining well at a triffle less then 3 cups a day.

Chloe who weighs 68 pounds is at 3 full cups a day.

Teddy who weighs in at 74 pounds is just off the track and he's muscle is still prominent. He's at 4 cups a day.

Sometimes they really don't need to gain "weight from food" because once they start losing a bit of their muscle tone, they will automatically look like they've gained weight from muscle going soft a bit.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest team_weasel

Our little female gets just under 3 cups a day and the boys get around 3 cups a day... half in the morning, the rest in the evening. Plus, they get peanut butter in kongs and a few treats.

Their weight is spot on!

Guest HersheysMom

Ours get 3 cups and about 1/2 can a day. The female should probably not be getting as much as she is getting chunky after being at our house for 8 months. I'm working on bringing the amount down without feeling like I'm short changing her. She is a very petite frame and should only be at 56-58lbs.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest GreySibs

As others have said, it just depends on the quality of the dog food. I feed EVO to my two, which is a very high protein dog food, so you don't need to feed a lot of it. My two get only two cups a day. My male is super low energy so the two cups a day is perfect for him & because my female is higher energy (higher then my male anyway), she gets 2 cups too.

Guest SquanHound

It all depends on the food. Ping was on SG Holostique and he was getting 4 cups a day - when he switched over to the prescription food W/D he gets 6.5 cups a day (you need to feed more on a high fiber diet).

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Greta got sick (long story), and is now on prescription fish and potato kibble. Her "ideal" non-racing weight is about 61 lbs according to her adoption records. She was 70 before her illness and is probably about 61 now. She is eating 5 CUPS of this very $$$ food! And doesn't appear to be gaining weight. She gets NO treats except a few tiny bits of baked potato. Before, she was happy with 3.5 - 4 cups of her old kibble and no treats. She is a self-regulating eater. She is perfectly healthy now, and has LOTS of energy.

Guest wolfieskitten

I feed 1 BARF patty twice per day plus 1/2 cup of kibble , but I'm still trying to use up this bag of SUpercoat (Aussie brand) before I get to the Natural Balance. But he had started to gain weight quickly when he got here, though I think that's due to lack of a 45 minute daily walk he was getting at the foster carers, now we only walk about 3 times per week. so i dropped the amount of kibble from 1 cup to half a cup and trying to manage it from here to see what happens, though I expect he will eat less of the NB than the supercoat. the BARF patties here say to feed 1 patty per 12 kgs (26.4 lbs). The great thing I'm impressed with is no gas! The Nutro made him gassy, so I'm waiting to see what NB will do. Dunno what he kibble was that the fosters fed, but he was really gassy the first few days (and when we went to visit him before he came to us). So whatever it is that has gotten rid of the gas, I'm happy for.

Guest lonny

Innova EVO is pretty calorie dense. Axle does great at maintaining his weight at 80#, with 2 3/4 cups a day. It also solved his gut problem with grain containing foods.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest carolxi
I dthink a lot of it depends on the quality of the food. I was feeding Walter about 5 cups of Nutro a day, but when I switched him to Natural Balance, he only eats 3 cups a day. He's 86.5 lbs (and maintains it perfectly...I weigh him every month).

Rosy is 63 lbs and eats 2 cups a day of NB.

Nutro large dog breed with Glucosamine was what was recommended when I got Anubis - 6 cups/day. With all the scary news lately, I'm in the process of switching him to Wellness and it recommends 3 cups/day. I think its because there's less junk in it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ZenPuppy

:jaw 8 Cups!!! Some people answered 8 Cups!!

The worst thing you can do to an athlete like a greyhound is make them FAT!!! I use to do placement for Greyhound Pets of America-Northwest Chapter and came in contact with a couple that was allowing their grey to free graze and she looked like a fat lab. It was so sad. And a vet had checked her out and she was healthy except her weight.