How Much Do You Feed Your Greyhound?

Guest henrytow

How many cups of kibble do you feed your dog every day?  

1,221 members have voted

1. 1. How many cups of kibble do you feed your dog every day?

• Answers are in terms of total cups per day.
    • less than 3
    • 3 1/2
    • 4 1/2
    • 5 1/2
    • 6 1/2
    • 7 1/2
    • more than 8
    • do not feed kibble or question otherwise irrelevant

Guest mleg2001

Sunny 78 lb lazy boy get 1 1/4 cups nutro dental twice a day

Maya 65lb active girl gets 1 1/2 cups Eagle Pack Holistique twice a day

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Passion gets 4 cups of Hi Pro. She's 52.6 lbs

Sparks get 5 cups of Nutro Max. He's 78 lbs

They are fed half in the morning and the other half at night.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest berettagt5spd

I put Lee on Nutro about a month ago (Finally found a place that carries good food that don't break the bank nor do I have to go 75 mile round trip to get it)

He gets about 3/4 of a cup for "breakfast"

Then in the afternoon he gets about 2 1/2- 3, But hes starting to get chunky.. I am taking him for his walks still but before Nutro his weight was @ 82. Nutro for one month @ 87.. I love the Nutro since hes not having to go #2 all the time....But I am sure that everytime his "dad" gets him and feeds him all that junk that they sit around and eat isnt helping any. Along with his grandma.

I have no idea. They free feed. Some days they eat more, some days less. If they are hungry, they let me know. If they aren't, they don't finish their food.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Guest MountainHounds
I have no idea. They free feed. Some days they eat more, some days less. If they are hungry, they let me know. If they aren't, they don't finish their food.

Ditto. I free feed Kamin, some days he'll barely eat two cups, others easily five or six. He's a skinny boy with some really well defined muscles. Usually when I take him to a greyhound function, most people can't believe that I've had him for a year and a half, because he still looks like he's right off the track. I've been through five different foods with him trying to get him to gain weight with no luck. At this point, he's healthy, if a little thin, so I just keep food available for him to eat whenever he wants. I never put more than three cups at a time in his bowl, so I can keep some idea of what his actual intake is, but I let him decide how much he's going to eat. He also gets marrow bones, yogurt, veggies, sardines or jack mackeral (not all at once, but at least once a week for each) and whatever food the children leave unattended around him.

Guest GreyhoundTrish

Greyt poll! Especially since I've had Bebe just four weeks, and am making choices about food right now. This past week she's been a tad finicky so I've had to add canned in with her kibble. That seems to be working the best, so looks like I'll be continuing with that.

I'm interested in reading the amounts, but also the types of food everyone is feeding and results.

Thanks!

Guest GreyhoundTrish
When Ozzy needs to be pushed to eat I will sprinkle a tablespoon of shredded cheese over his and sometimes for breakfast I mix eggs scrambled eggs with it.

Thanks for the cheese idea. ; ) Bebe has been a tad finicky this week, so learning about people's suggestions and ideas is great.

Guest GreyhoundTrish
I put Lee on Nutro about a month ago (Finally found a place that carries good food that don't break the bank nor do I have to go 75 mile round trip to get it)

I think I'm starting to feel like I'll try Nutro with Bebe. I'll have to check on prices here in Memphis. I'm hearing good things about it.

Guest Guest

About 2 1/2 cups each of Eagle Pack for my two, but also extras - say a tablespoon of meat / fish / veg / cheese, or whatever is going. Also 1 or 2 big dog biscuits and some small treats. If they still look hungry (not often) they can have more kibble. A couple of times a week they get large meaty bones instead of their normal dinner. Without the extras they would obviously need more kibble, however EP does seem economical to feed.

Guest GreyhoundTrish

Just to add to my post, I did go ahead and start Bebe on Nutro Natural Choice w/o Chicken By-products this weekend. I also got twelve cans since they had that coupon for 6 free cans when you bought 12. I'm giving her a half a can mixed in with her evening meal.

And, she loved the tasted of the dry instantly. In fact ate it, and not the old food that was mixed with it.

And since we were talking qty to start with. I'm going w/the two cups a day I was seeing suggested, plus half a can of the canned. She had been eating 3 cups of the Pedigree Sensitive Stomache before that. And I'm still mixing some in to help her system adjust.

Edited by GreyhoundTrish

Tornado weighs 70 pounds and he eats 2 cups of Pro Plan kibble each day and one can of Pro Plan a day. He is a very finicky eater and hasn't gained any weight since we got him a year ago. We've tried several different brands, even the one the rescue group said he liked. He doesn't eat more than the 2 cups and 1 can.

I saw in the post that started the discussion, or one shortly after the original, that said something about the dog's racing weight. Tornado raced at 80 pounds. Should he really weigh 90 pounds? He seems healthy (and the vets say he is) and happy and he gets lots of exercise.

He does have a low thyroid condition too.

Any thoughts about the racing weight vs. the couch potato weight and what it should be?

2wck1zc.jpg

Guest bona60

My grey recently came to us with I'ams dog food. He doesn't care for it and eats it only if we add yogurt. We are switching to Pro Plan Adult Original Chicken and Rice Formula. We are transioning by adding Pro Plan to I'ams a little at a time. We are now at 50% Iams and 50% Pro Plan. Dog is getting very gassy. Any suggestions? :gh_run2:gh_run2:gh_run2:gh_run2:gh_run2:gh_run2:gh_run2

Guest Guest

The number of cups isn't very informative without knowing the energy density and digestibility. 2 cups of one food may be equivalent to 6 cups of another.

There is also a difference between how much a dog will eat if unrestricted and how much it actually needs to maintain its weight and energy levels. Dogs are gorge feeders. Given something interesting, like a chunk of meat, my greys will eat far more than they need.

Guest lauferdogs

Ronnie get 4 cups a day plus some cottage cheese on top. He also gets some scraps and veggies and of course cookies. He eats like a horse, but we have had him 2 yrs and he has only gained 1lb.

Guest MillysMom

Milly gets 3.5 cups a day. We were feeding 4 but she didn't seem that keen on getting her supper and she also wasn't eating it all. She is about 68lbs now (she has gained 10 since we got her last August) and the vet seems pleased with her weight.

Last time she was in for a check, she had actually lost a few pounds while feeding 4 cups. The vet seemed to think it was due to her getting more exercise in the summer. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AurorasFamily

Princess wouldn't eat at first - then I added one of the small cans of food to her kibble and now she is a chow-hound. I give her 2 cups of dry in the morning, which she nibbles on through the day, and give her 1 cup of dry with the small can mixed with a little water to make a gravy.

We had to add some rice to the mix initially when we added the canned food. She is getting Pro-plan.

Guest DeVon

Lori Ann is a big girl, and weighs 75 pounds. She gets 4 cups of Pro Plan Large Breed Senior a day. I give out a Mother Hubbard treat after potty breaks and before I leave the house (the two crated dogs get a treat for going in their crates, so everyone has to get one of course :rofl).

Guest vagreys

Zen's racing weight was 78 lbs. We were told he ballooned out to 88 or so in the two months with his first family. He was down to 85 when we adopted him on 6/26, and he was down to 83 for his vet visit, last Friday. We'd like to keep him at about 83 lbs, if possible. He looks great!

He was losing weight at 4c/day of the Costco chicken w/rice. We have switched him over to Canidae at 5c/day, until he stops losing, and then we will adjust down from there to maintain his weight at target. He gets a dairy treat of some kind or other with some morning meals, and a cup of vegetables with his evening meal.

Guest dmitrik4

pharaoh gets ~2 cups of ProPlan kibble w/ a large tablespoon of something soft (canned ProPlan, fish, pumpkin, yogurt, etc.) and some water mixed in twice a day, and a handful of wetted kibble at night before bed.

he was (supposedly) 75 lbs when racing (and the agency claimed 75lbs when we adopted him). he's weighed between 83 and 86 lbs at the vet (tough b/c he HATES the scale), but he doesn't look much different than when we got him 10 months ago. maybe a bit more muscular, actually (he was at the agency for at least 3 months). so he gained 8-10 lbs since he retired...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lotsogreysmom

We give 5 of our greys 2 cups 2x a day....all females.

Our 2 boys get 2 1/2 - 3 cups 2x a day. They seem to need a little extra to keep their weight on.

As you can see, we go through a lot of food!! We feed all of them Nutro Natural Choice - Chicken. They all have done very well on it.

Guest Lillitth

I am giving Zephyr about 3 cups a day of Nutro Natural Balance weight managment. (he was 81 when we got him - he raced at 76. You can barely see his ribs only when he's outside moving....sometimes.) He also gets about 1/4 cup of chicken/veggies or fish/veggies in the morning. Plus treats. (most homemade).

And he GAINED a pound in the last month!

I don't want to feed him less!! Any ideas? Or should i worry about it at all?

Guest KennelMom

Our pups all get about 1 1/4 cups of twice a day plus 2-3 biscuits throughout the day. The larger males may get a big more and our tiny female may get only a cup. Its adjusted based on activity level and overall weight of each dog.

We feed Natural Balance.