How Much Do You Feed Your Greyhound?

Guest henrytow

How many cups of kibble do you feed your dog every day?  

1,221 members have voted

1. 1. How many cups of kibble do you feed your dog every day?

• Answers are in terms of total cups per day.
    • less than 3
    • 3 1/2
    • 4 1/2
    • 5 1/2
    • 6 1/2
    • 7 1/2
    • more than 8
    • do not feed kibble or question otherwise irrelevant

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IrskasMom

On a different Topic , I said that my Morty is too skinny . Since I got back, I felt that he needs more Food

to put some Meat on this Bones . Since 3 Days ago , he eats 2 cups of Kibbles with a half a Can of Wet-

Food mixed for Breakfast and in the Evening 3 Cups of Kibbles with another half a Can of Wet Food .

Until we see some Improvement on his Weight , I will continue to feed that Amount .Then we can cut back

to 4 Cups a Day.

Edited by IrskasMom

• 1 month later...
Guest Moebaaviva

We feed Bella about 1 cup of Nutro Natural Choice Sensitive Stomach in the morning (she's not a morning eater so it has to be in her Kong with peanut butter on top), and 2 1/2 cups in the evening. She's not a small girl at 68 lbs (which our greyhound-savvy vet says is perfect), she just doesn't eat that much.

• 2 weeks later...

My three girls get 1 1/2 cups twice a day. All just turned eight. Kara is small and slim (about 60 lbs), Honey is my big girl (about 70 lbs, sop I've started reducing her food a bit) and Nadia, at 65 lbs is in the middle. Honey and Kara get Proplan lamb and rice. Nadia gets Science Diet beef and rice.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

• 1 month later...
Guest greyfiend

It really doesn't make sense to compare how many cups of food people feed because each food has different amounts of calories per cup. One brand might have 557 calories/cup (i.e., Innova Dog Food) and another brand or even the same brand but different variety will have another (i.e., Innova Large Breed Adult with 350 cal/cup-because larger dogs often require more volume to feel "satisfied"). So it doesn't make sense to compare apples to oranges.

Guest ellieb

Indigo is 65 pounds and just right. Maximilian is 80 pounds and should be 65-70 pounds.

I feed 1.5 cups of Nutro Large Breed with 1 tablespoon of fat-free plain yogurt in the A.M.

I feed 1.5 cups of Nutro Large Breed with Grizzly Salmon Oil in the P.M. (3 pumps for Indi & 2 pumps for Max)

They each get two dog biscuits per day, also.

They get a short walk every morning and ample time in the backyard.

I wish we could get Max's weight down.

• 1 month later...
Guest sidewaysfallin

WE were told 1.5 cups twice a day, but Sophie is a tiny 51 pounds. We have upped it to 2 cups twice a day to put some meat on her. Along with a spoonfull of yougurt at night.

• 3 months later...
Guest NeedleNoseLuvR

rschutz, Lacey says she wants to move in with you! (It was the squirrel tail that did it.)

Actually she gets 4 cups of kibble divided into two feedings. I add a little canned food, warm water and Lipiderm. Right now I'm switching her (and the other two non-greys) from Iams to Canidae. She weighs about 60 lbs.

Guest jupiterooos

Jupiter: 5 cups a day of W/D prescription food, 3 cups in the AM and 2 in the PM, along with a spoonful of peanut butter to disguise his pill. I used to divide the meals evenly, but then he'd have to poop in the middle of the night. He had been on California Natural and then Innova, and had been losing weight drastically. Now that he's on the Rx food he's filled out and just looks better all around. Never been a fan of Science Diet, but this food gave his tummy a chance to calm down and get some weight on him, and I'm grateful for that.

Angler: 5 cups Flint River Ranch fish and potato. I think 4 cups would be enough to maintain weight, but I briefly had him on another fish formula food that he had an allergic reaction to, and lost weight. Not sure how much poundage he needs to put on, but most of his ribs are visible, which is my "too skinny" cue.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EmbersDad
From talking with other owners, there seems to be a wide dispersion in the amout of food greyhounds need every day. I can think of body weight, level of activity, age, and metabolism level as reasons for healthy dogs to differ.

It would be too complicated to run a poll that tried to adjust for even one of these factors, but I would be interested in the answers to the basic question:

How much do you feed your dog?

ember is a 68 lb senior female ( 10 )

she eats 1.5 cups innova senior with a big spoon of innova senior canned twice a day

her weight has always been between 68 and 71 lbs

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nelsonismyhero

I don't want to be a party pooper or anything but for those of you who have dogs that weigh 90-some lbs, that sounds aweful big. I know there are some large greyhounds out there but in my experience and opinion, a greyhound should never weigh that much. 90-some lbs is getting into Deerhound territory and I'm just thinking that maybe some of the dogs mentioned here need to lose weight. This is just speculation on my part, maybe if I saw these dogs in the flesh I would feel differently.

In my honest opinion an ex-racer shouldn't exceed their race weight by more than two, maybe three lbs. Ideally, they shouldn't gain any weight; it's not as if they were unhealthy to begin with. An active racer is extremely fit and I think that fitness should try to be maintained as much as possible. I know that it's not really possible to mimic the way they were training at the track, that's why I think it's ok for them to gain some weight after they leave, but to be gaining 5 or more lbs is too much. Plus, when you factor in the amount of muscle they probably lose due to decrease in activity, if anything they should be losing weight after they stop racing because doesn't muscle weigh more than fat?

The amount of food I feed my dogs varies by the season. This is because in the winter dogs tend to need more food to maintain good weight and in the summer they tend to be less active so I feed less. Both of my dogs are within 62 to 69 lbs, right around the weight they were racing at, and they only eat at most 3 cups of dry food a day, and not usually that much. Right now they are eating about 2 cups a day because the stormy weather has kept them from exercising.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. I'm not trying to be confrontational I'm just a bit concerned that some of the dogs here could stand to lose some weight. According to my animal science professors, animals that weigh less or have food withheld occasionally, live longer.

Audrey

Edited by Nelsonismyhero

We feed Duke 4 cups kibble per day mixed with yogurt.

Lately, we have mixed 50/50 Solid Gold Millenia and Solid Gold Hund n Flocken.

He has gained a little weight on this mix and his energy level is the highest it's ever been in the 4 1/2 years we've had him with us.

Guest tarasue

Tara has been getting three cups of nutro chicken and lamb formula the entire time I had her. She also gets treats and table scraps...she has maintained right at 60lbs that whole time.

I am still learning about Will so, it is somewhat of a challenge. He needs an add-in to his kibble so, it looks like it going to be 1 cup of add in (sweet potatoes, yogurt, cooked meat) and 1 cup of kibble twice daily.

I don't want to be a party pooper or anything but for those of you who have dogs that weigh 90-some lbs, that sounds aweful big. I know there are some large greyhounds out there but in my experience and opinion, a greyhound should never weigh that much. 90-some lbs is getting into Deerhound territory and I'm just thinking that maybe some of the dogs mentioned here need to lose weight. This is just speculation on my part, maybe if I saw these dogs in the flesh I would feel differently.

In my honest opinion an ex-racer shouldn't exceed their race weight by more than two, maybe three lbs. Ideally, they shouldn't gain any weight; it's not as if they were unhealthy to begin with. An active racer is extremely fit and I think that fitness should try to be maintained as much as possible. I know that it's not really possible to mimic the way they were training at the track, that's why I think it's ok for them to gain some weight after they leave, but to be gaining 5 or more lbs is too much. Plus, when you factor in the amount of muscle they probably lose due to decrease in activity, if anything they should be losing weight after they stop racing because doesn't muscle weigh more than fat?

The amount of food I feed my dogs varies by the season. This is because in the winter dogs tend to need more food to maintain good weight and in the summer they tend to be less active so I feed less. Both of my dogs are within 62 to 69 lbs, right around the weight they were racing at, and they only eat at most 3 cups of dry food a day, and not usually that much. Right now they are eating about 2 cups a day because the stormy weather has kept them from exercising.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. I'm not trying to be confrontational I'm just a bit concerned that some of the dogs here could stand to lose some weight. According to my animal science professors, animals that weigh less or have food withheld occasionally, live longer.

Audrey

I disagree. The very first greyhound I met, who is now part of our local play group, is a 95lb dog. He doesn't look his weight. He has lots of muscle, and is fit and healthy looking. Not the faintest bit overweight. He is a large greyhound, and when I first met him after he was brought here from the track, he was definitely underweight. He weighed around 78lbs. Maybe he's an exception, and certainly there are greys that need to lose weight - it's never good for dogs to be overweight anyway, least of all greys as it can bring about all sorts of health issues. However, to call many of the dogs I've seen fresh off the track "fit", is laughable. There is a difference between fit and underweight, and many of the greys I've seen when they're first brought over from the track are severely underweight. The fact that they are kept that way to make them faster is motivated by money, not health reasons.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• 1 month later...
Guest Dillymom

Lola is a bigger girl- I got her a month ago and she weighed 64lbs. She just saw the vet and she's at 67lbs and the vet said to let her gain a few more. So for now she gets 4 cups a day of Candidae split between am and pm. She also gets things added in like yogurt, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs etc. She gets 2-3 treats a day plus some small training treats each day.

Edited by Dillymom

Guest Javagirl
I'm constantly wondering if I'm over or under feeding her though. She seems to be satisfied, finishes every bit... but I still wonder.

I'm always wondering if I'm over or under feeding as well. He's 75 lbs and you can see a couple ribs. My adoption reps say he is at a good weight, the Vet says he could gain a few. He's gained 2 lbs over the 7 weeks we have had him and hope to keep him at this weight. We actually break his meals up into 2 parts because he eats so fast he coughs the rice and kibble all over the place (we do moisten it a bit).

Ladd gets 4 cups Eagle Pack Natural Adult Formula 8+ over 2 meals each day. I didn't even bother with the slow transition between Nutro and Eagle Pack - just moved him right over and he was fine. I haven't seen him scratch once since the switch.

We mix in about 1 cup warm rice in each meal as well. I try not to give him treats because I know his dad will but overall he doesn't get more than a couple treats each day, and he gets about 3/4 cup yogurt in his frozen kong 3 days a week when our schedules do not overlap. He doesn't get table scraps, maybe once in a blue moon.

I've been told that using the Missing Link will be useful as well. Anyone else use it?

• 2 months later...
Guest Nelsonismyhero
I disagree. The very first greyhound I met, who is now part of our local play group, is a 95lb dog. He doesn't look his weight. He has lots of muscle, and is fit and healthy looking. Not the faintest bit overweight. He is a large greyhound, and when I first met him after he was brought here from the track, he was definitely underweight. He weighed around 78lbs. Maybe he's an exception, and certainly there are greys that need to lose weight - it's never good for dogs to be overweight anyway, least of all greys as it can bring about all sorts of health issues. However, to call many of the dogs I've seen fresh off the track "fit", is laughable. There is a difference between fit and underweight, and many of the greys I've seen when they're first brought over from the track are severely underweight. The fact that they are kept that way to make them faster is motivated by money, not health reasons.

I'm sure there are some greyhounds that come off the track underweight, sick or otherwise unhealthy. However, I don't see why it's "laughable" to say that racing greyhounds (in general) are fit. The greyhounds I've seen that are fresh off the track looked great in terms of their body weight and muscle tone.

Audrey