Susan

silverfish

It was a year ago today that we had to make that painful decision to help our lovely Susan to the bridge. I can't believe it's been so long.

For those who don't know, Susan was only with us five months. She was a ten year old ex-brood, and we took her on as a companion to our old Jim. She began to teach him how to be a more relaxed dog and do a few doggy things he hadn't thought of :) But we hadn't had her more than a week or so when we discovered that she was in 'early renal failure'. Sadly, it turned out to be much more than that and our vet really didn't know what was going on with her, except he was pretty sure she wasn't going to make it. I demanded a referral to a vet school and it was there, on this day last year, that we discovered that she had kidney cancer, which had spread to her lungs, plus the clotting disorder DIC. Poor, poor Susan, she was such a mess - and she was such a sweet and beautiful dog.

We had left her there for tests, but as soon as we had the call with the dx, we got straight back in the car and drove back down through rush hour traffic on a quite notoriously congested bit of road (which miraculously that day was clear). I held her while she was put to sleep forever.

I've been through the usual stages of guilt and the feelings I could have/should have done more. Having an earlier diagnosis wouldn't have helped her much because her other kidney was failing too. But she would have been spared about three extra days of suffering if we'd known there was no hope. Still working on forgiving myself (and our vet) for that.

I hope she was happy with us - but most of the time she was here she was unwell. I hope we gave her some good times.

She was beautiful, stoical, undemanding, gentle - she loved people - and I miss her. When she died, Jim missed her too - more than I would have thought possible. He'd been an only dog for nine years before she came to live with us. I would have left it a little longer to get him another companion, but he missed her so much it was only about six weeks later that we brought Renie home.

He still sometimes goes out into the garden and just stands and looks, as he did just after we lost Suze. I don't know if he can see her still, or if he just misses her and wonders where she is.

Rest in peace, sweet Susan! Your magnolia will soon be in bloom ...

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I know Susan was poorly for much of her time with you, but I'm sure she couldn't fail to enjoy her home comforts and the love that you lavished on her.

Thinking of you :f_pink

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest canagreyts

Thinking of you today. Its so hard to lose our beloved pets no matter how long we've had them. Susan was a special girl and you have some lovely memories of her.

f_yellow

Maggie and Nebraska send slurps and cuddles.

Edited by canagreyts

Thinking of you and Susan today...I can not believe it has been one year already. Know she is sending gentle kisses on the wind... :f_pink:f_whitef_yellow:grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thinking of you and Susan today, and sending lots of light to you for the healing of your pain. :bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

:grouphugf_yellow Sending warm thoughts to you and Jim. Susan was much loved and I'm sure she knew it.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest mantis

I'm sorry for your loss. I know how hard it can be to lose a friend. You ask if she was happy with you? I think that you know the answer to that, of course she was, you gave her a real home and real love for the short time that she was with you. I don't think any dog could ask for more, and when it was time you showed her just how much you loved her by letting her go. She is now whole again at the bridge romping with all who have gone before her. When the day come you will be reunited and you both can cross the bridge. Best wishes and hugs. :bighug:f_white

:f_red Judy, I remember so well how happy you were with Susan and

I remember too how much suffering you both went through before she

crossed the bridge...time passes so quickly. I know you'll keep her always

in your heart, God bless her sweet soul, run free Susan... :f_white

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Thanks for the messages of sympathy, everyone. It's been a very strange day. I've tried to keep busy ... an odd thing happened, though.

We went into town and set the alarm as usual. When we got back we were told by our neighbours that the alarm had gone off and the police had been round. The sensor which activated should not have been activated by our dogs - and in fact should have been switched off on the 'dog' setting. Makes you wonder.

I was playing around with my photos the other day, and altered this one of Susan and DS in Photoshop. It was an OK-ish photo, but not very sharp or anything special, so I cropped and posterised it. I really like it, because it shows how loving she was.

Ike%20N%20Suze%20PE%20512.jpg

Ah, Susan :(

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Thinking of you and your Susan.

You have nothing to forgive yourself for -- Susan knows that, doesn't she? Just look at the picture you posted -- in your home, she knew she was truly loved, and she had the time to show how much she loved in return.

Rest in peace, beautiful girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Susan was always one of my favorite greys on Greytalk. I like hearing "Susan stories" and seeing her picture. I'm so sorry for your loss.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest auntiesara

At least she had a loving home for her last days. Our Piper was special needs (H/W and kidney disease) and he was only able to stay with us for a year and 1/2. We have found that the remaining siblings do suffer from bereavement as well; although they cheer up over time. What can I say except I'm so sorry?

Sara

She was a beautiful soul. And that photo really shows her heart. There is nothing to forgive. You did all you could for her, and you know that she loved you through it all, and forever.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)