Dewclaws?

Guest warpsfalcon

Do your greys still have their dewclaws?  

392 members have voted

1. 1. Do your greys still have their dewclaws?

• No, they were removed at the farm (list owner if you know)
    • No, I had them removed (please explain why)
    • Yes, but I am thinking of having them removed (why?)
    • Yes, they're not a problem

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest koko9281

Pace has both of his. Never really thought about this before and I had no idea that some dogs have them removed. :wow

His owner was Johnny Morton and he raced for many years under the name Yopon Abner.

Anyway, the claws don't seem to bother Pace and we have not had any problems.

Edited by koko9281

• 1 month later...

Sterling does not have them but Kelsey does. At least once a year she catches on something and it bleeds and bleeds and we go to the vet and he bandages it and we get antibiotics etc. etc. I'd asked the last time if they could just remove them but then it would be "surgery" and cost a lot. :angry:

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

All the greys I've adopted or fostered have had them. Big Sam caught one of his in his collar- didn't tear it, but i hate to think if i hadn't been there

I was thinking about having them take that one off during his dental, but then forgot when ihad that scary lesion off last week- more to worry about than that. The nail really curves tightly & i have to remember to keep it short and his collar off when I'm gone, He HATES to have his nails done!

All 3 greys have theirs. Zoe recently broke one off almost all the way back to the skin. No clue how, but the bleeding was something else. I wish they didn't have them, but to remove them when full grown is apparently quite painful. My whippet has his removed before I ever laid eyes on him. Costs me the same to have their nails trimmed regardless of the number tho!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

• 3 months later...

I'm posting without voting (three dogs, and I could only vote once). First dog had dewclaws and I left them alone; never had a problem. Second dog, same thing. Third dog came to me straight off the track without dewclaws; don't know when they were removed but I suspect it happened shortly after birth--there's no scarring.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Bea still has hers. It's not really a problem, apart from that I think it looks a little bit sloppy when they become longer than the other nails because they don't wear down.

Holy cow, this is an old thread!

All of mine have had their dewclaws, and so far only minor problems. I would rather they were removed as there is the potential for more serious injury, but I wouldn't subject an adult dog to the procedure unless they had chronic issues.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest eaglflyt

Our girl, Ady Bea, has her dew claws and they've not been a problem thus far. We've only had her about 2 months, so we don't know if they will be a problem yet. If she has problems or frequent injuries to them, we would consider removal if our vet said it was necessary ... but we would have to think long and hard to risk anesthesia.

Guest kydie

The grey has them, going to leave them unless a problem, the hunting dogs were removed as pups, as they spend much of the time in the woods, our son had one of his older dog's dew claws removed, and it was a major surgery for the old boy, but the dog was having them torn off as he ran in the woods, so no choice here, healing was slow.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LoveSeniorGreys

Four out of five of our greyhounds still had their dew claws intact. One hound got one of hers caught on her wire crate and tore it off once. As long as the owner can keep the dews trimmed really short, I would prefer that they be left intact on the greyhounds.

Onw of our guys just tore off one of his dewclaws. Don't even know what he caught it on while doing zoomies in front of the door. Poor guy. Recovery was pretty quick but he wasn't a happy camper for a few days, that's for sure.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

• 1 month later...
Guest Morgaynn

I voted, but I'm still on the fence. I think I posted about this maybe six months ago? Nike has her dewclaws. At one point she got one caught in the D-ring on her collar and the GSOD that resounded throughout the house made me think she had plunged herself on a 12 inch blade or something It was AWFUL. I had considered having them removed, but since then she's managed not to get herself hung up on anything so I've let it be. If she has more clumsy episodes I may decided ultimately to get them removed to save my ears.

Guest myneedlenose

Mayhem came to us without dew claws but Chaos has them and I HATE them!!! He has lived in vet wrap for the last month and a half. First the right one was torn, not the nail itself but the webbing and the toe it is attached to. Looked like a blood bath in the house and the dew claw knuckle was at a right angle to the leg. Got that one all fixed up and 12 hours later he tore the hell out of the left one, again the webbing and the knuckle the nail is attached to-the nail is pristine. He managed to re-tear the left one, while still wrapped, creative doggie and is still having dressing changes and wrappings. I should invest in Vetwrap stock the way I go through it around this house. If he needs to go under for any other reason I'm going to enquire about having those pesky claws removed while he is there.

Guest Gemini

Gemini does not have hers, our new boy, Dash does have his. I inquired at my vet and he said some breeders remove them early and others do not. He said he would only remove them if he was going under anesthesia for something else and only if I really really thought it was important, like he was getting injured from them. Otherwise, he said no reason to remove them. So far we have not had a problem with him catching them on anything.