Dental teeth cleaning

Hi. 4 yr old grey.  I'm reluctant to do anesthesia based teeth cleaning, he has some tartar . He let's me clean his teeth and let's me scrape the tartar using dental tools. 

Some of the tartar is so baked on the tools don't remove it. 

Is this an option.  I have a dreamel Rotary tool for dogs nails.  Is there an attachment safe for teeth ? I notice my human dental hygienist uses a Rotary tool now.  

You have no way of knowing what's going on with the teeth and bone under the gums without anesthesia and xrays. Scaling tartar is okay if the dog can tolerate it, but many cant. It's also not a replacement for a real dental check exam and cleaning. Doing those while your dog is young enough will help avoid having to put him under in his senior years to deal with problems that weren't caught due to the lack of real dental care. 

• Like 2
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Not a good idea at all for you to use a dremel on your dog’s teeth. Actually, it’s a great way to ruin his teeth. Dental techs/dentists are highly trained, experienced and have expensive tools. They do not use consumer type “dremels”. 

As long as your dentist is knowledgeable about using anesthesia protocols with sighthounds, the risk of a full dental is relatively low.  

After the dental, use your boy's calmness to brush his teeth regularly, and give crunchy and safe chew-type treats once or twice a day to help new tartar slough off.  Those are much safer options than amateur dentals at home.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 1 month later...

My dog tolerate tooth brushing for 2 years without an issue, but one day, while brushing his teeth, he growled, then bit me (didn't draw blood) and I am not doing it again myself. I always try to be gentle but may have hit a nerve or something. Took him to the vet and got his teeth cleaned, that was $1200! and will be part of my pet care expense. But in the mean time, I have scoured the internet for a good tooth brushing toy that would actual brush their teeth and under gums. Rubber nibs cannot possibly do a good job and don't want to give him actual bones. I can't understand why there isn't a round brush toy with nylon bristles. The only toy with actual bristles is not well designed. Has anyone found something that actually works to clean teeth AND under gums? 

I use these dental wipes for the campers and they seem to work pretty well. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

On 3/11/2024 at 7:49 PM, Time4ANap said:

You have no way of knowing what's going on with the teeth and bone under the gums without anesthesia and xrays. Scaling tartar is okay if the dog can tolerate it, but many cant. It's also not a replacement for a real dental check exam and cleaning. Doing those while your dog is young enough will help avoid having to put him under in his senior years to deal with problems that weren't caught due to the lack of real dental care. 

EXACTLY! Very well put.