Xylitol

I grabbed this re Xylitol from the GALT page. Thank you to them for the post  

IMG-0633.jpg

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thank you Jan. Many I had never heard of before, but I didn't know Sugar Alcohol had it too.

Years ago I was in the emergency vet in the middle of the night, having picked up a dumped greyhound in horrible shape and that didn't survive. In the waiting room was a young chihuahua owner (think Valley girl type) waiting on an update on her "baby"....who'd eaten chewing gum with xylitol. She didn't understand how it could have happened. I pointed to her purse sitting on the floor, wide open, and said that's how, pointing to the same pack of gum. I have little patience with stupid people.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

58 minutes ago, macoduck said:

Thank you Jan. Many I had never heard of before, but I didn't know Sugar Alcohol had it too.

I believe Sugar Alcohol is a group term for several sugar substitutes, including xylitol. This was the first link when I googled Sugar Alcohol; see "Identifying Them," which is part way down the page:

https://www.ynhh.org/services/nutrition/sugar-alcohol

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

11 hours ago, GreyPoopon said:

I believe Sugar Alcohol is a group term for several sugar substitutes, including xylitol. This was the first link when I googled Sugar Alcohol; see "Identifying Them," which is part way down the page:

https://www.ynhh.org/services/nutrition/sugar-alcohol

:nod Thank you. 

IMG-0647.jpg

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Speaking of Xylitol, I posted the following last year and figured I’d post it again under this xylitol thread as well, just as a reminder to indeed check everything.  

Posted January 14, 2022

FYI - I Just found xylitol in listed the ingredients of Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hyaluronic Acid Face Serum, 17%, in a blue glass bottle with a dropper.  

Definitely something to avoid if your pets ever lick you.  

ASPARTAME is another problem. A couple of months ago the vet prescribed liquid clavamox for my dog which contained this sweetener. Thanks to the compounding pharmacy this should not be used on animals, or even humans. Major argument with two vets about this who disagreed but it is true.

On the news last night talked about this sweetener which can cause cancer in humans -- used in diet coke and who knows what.

I thought more people new about Xylitol?