"Fiber for Dogs" <--- helping a LOT with Stanleys Poops

Loose stools are a common characteristic of sighthounds (Stating the obvious here) and this has been attributed to many things including the way they are built (those cinch waists don't leave room for a lot of intestines, etc).

After having some (but not complete) success with Olewo carrots, a neighbor told me about what is basically Metamucil for dogs.  It contains mostly psyllum husks (the ingredient in metamucil) plus some beet root powder.   And wouldn't you know it...wow it works.  Can't guarantee it will work for every grey out there, but it works for us.

Stanley has earned the nickname "Joey Four-poops" because he 'goes' four times during each walk (sometimes five, his record is seven).   The third and fourth of these 'movements' have historically been Of Questionable Character (they weren't fully cured, if you know what I mean).  We were happy to get the first two BMs of of the walk to be well-formed, thanks to Olewo.  But now there's hope for the rest of the walk.  We can easily pick up nearly everything.   We continue a half-dose of olewo, plus one baby scoop that comes in the can of Fiber for Dogs, 2x daily.

That's the straight poop. Would love to hear if anyone else out there uses Fiber for Dogs. What a find.

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

We too have had limited success with Olewo carrots. Thank you so much for posting your success story! Is this the product?

Keep up the good work, Joey Four-poops Stanley!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

YES that is the product!

It is just a teeny bit strange to have a dog on a High Fiber Diet...our prior grey had a lot less .... volume...on her walks.  But Stanley is doing really well so we thought we'd share in case it helps anyone else out there.

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

Thanks for the rec! Roman has had a variety of stomach issues from day one, even keeping him to a diet of same-old same-old doesn't totally prevent the squishies.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Thank you!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Just like people, every dog's system is different and reacts differently to foods and additives.  It's great that you've found a product that works well for Stanley!

Just FYI for anyone reading up about this problem:

Whenever there is a persistent issue - like soft stools - it's always best to investigate if the cause could be something medical first.  Soft stools can have many many causes from easily solved (parasites) to something that needs medical intervention.  An easy and quick ultrasound of the abdomen can rule out a lot of more serious issues (tumors, IBD, blockages) right off.  Heart issues (DCM) can manifest as persistent soft stools as well.  Food allergies and intolerances should also be explored.  Once all of the medical issues have been eliminated, you can move on to food supplements.

Some dogs might just need a probiotic added to their meals.  Racing kennels often use buttermilk or kefir in their dogs' food.  Full fat, plain yogurt can also be used.  Or there are numerous commercial products out there like Forti Flora.  Some dogs can do well just adding higher fiber veggies like green beans, cooked carrots, or plain pumpkin to their food.  Some need actual insoluble fiber added in varying amounts.  Anything from oatmeal to the Olewo products to actual plain Metamucil (check for fake sugars).  You can also buy both dehydrated carrots and dehydrated beet pulp in bulk at feed stores since they are both used in horse/cow feeds for the same purpose.  And plain Metamucil might be cheaper than a product marketed for pets.

One of my girls was having a similar problem since she was a puppy.  Adding veggies and natural products didn't help, so we moved on to a trial of Olewo carrots.  Adding them on both her meals was too much for her - it made her soft stools worse -  and we tried a couple different schedules and amounts before settling on 1 tablespoon of carrots, rehydrated in water, on her evening meal.  She has perfect poops now, two or three times a day.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Joey Four-Poops :rofl I had "Three-Poo Sweep Thru." Thank you for sharing this! Olewo carrots worked really well for Sweep but less so for Willa, so I'm intrigued.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

3 hours ago, greysmom said:

Just like people, every dog's system is different and reacts differently to foods and additives.  It's great that you've found a product that works well for Stanley!

Just FYI for anyone reading up about this problem:

Whenever there is a persistent issue - like soft stools - it's always best to investigate if the cause could be something medical first. 

OH yes, definitely..everyone's mileage may vary on this and all issues!

I failed to add earlier that he did have multiple fecal tests for parasites (cleared them all), his dog food has probiotics in it AND he gets Daily Dollops of full fat plain yogurt.  

2 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

Joey Four-Poops :rofl I had "Three-Poo Sweep Thru." Thank you for sharing this! Olewo carrots worked really well for Sweep but less so for Willa, so I'm intrigued.

:lol

and at the end of a walk, when they really, really still want to pee on every tree, lamp post, hydrant, etc....Stanley lefts his leg and does the Two-Drop Dew-Drop.  Takes every effort to muster up a drop or two of pee when he's been letting it fly freely every few feet for the past hour.  :lol

Just now, Sniffy said:

and at the end of a walk, when they really, really still want to pee on every tree, lamp post, hydrant, etc....Stanley lefts his leg and does the Two-Drop Dew-Drop.  Takes every effort to muster up a drop or two of pee when he's been letting it fly freely every few feet for the past hour.  :lol

:hehe I'm definitely stealing this for Doolin! But it'll be the Two-Drop Doo* Drop, of course.

*not DooDoo; that's different.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Just now, ramonaghan said:

:hehe I'm definitely stealing this for Doolin! But it'll be the Two-Drop Doo* Drop, of course.

*not DooDoo; that's different.

oh yes....definitely different.  :lol

On 4/10/2023 at 10:48 AM, Sniffy said:

After having some (but not complete) success with Olewo carrots, a neighbor told me about what is basically Metamucil for dogs.  It contains mostly psyllum husks (the ingredient in metamucil) plus some beet root powder.   And wouldn't you know it...wow it works.  Can't guarantee it will work for every grey out there, but it works for us

Dr, Couto recommended Metamucil for my grey but it might be just as well to get Psyllium Husk from the health food store.