Another Dental Nightmare

My greyhound just a dental last Friday. Six teeth removed. This was delayed because of suspect kidney issues but this vet decided "based on her blood work being very good"  (which was done six months ago) to go ahead.

It has been very difficult finding and getting into a vet with everything that is going on, especially a greyhound savvy vet. After the surgery she came out and I have never seen a dog in this condition coming out of surgery and I have been through quite a few dentals with my greys. Just today she is eating a little and calmed down from continually panting and difficulty walking. I asked for a copy of all the drugs administered as follows.

Premedication (prior to surgery) – Dexdomitor and Torbugesic

Induction agents (to intubate, and place on general anesthetic) – Propofol and Ketamine titrated to effect

General anesthesia gas – Isoflurane

Pain relief post operative – Metacam, Buprenorphine Slow Release, and Methadone

I have seen other posts about Buprenorphine being an issue with their dogs. I told the vet not to give her Metacam. And I will not give her Tylenol which I was told to use after day 3 knwing the side effects.

I am posting because it was a terrifying experience to see my sweet dog suffering in this way because of drugs they used. I pray there will be no reactions in the future and her mouth will heal quickly.

Just thought others should be aware of what we went through.

Hope she's feeling better now.  Even if your dog has had no difficulties with anesthesia, each time is different and scary.  Last fall Andi was undergoing a procedure involved with her broken leg that she's had done at least twice before.  This time, she reacted and went into cardiac arrest in the space of a minute!!  :yikes  Fortunately, the staff were right there and got everything under control, and she was right as rain within a half hour - and I didn't know anything about it until it was over!! - so you just never know!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

On 4/2/2023 at 9:57 AM, MerseyGrey said:

I hope she starts to feel bette soon. It’s always a worry when they have to go under for anything

Thank you MerseyGrey. My grandmother lived in Cheshire a long time ago.

On 4/2/2023 at 12:44 PM, greysmom said:

Hope she's feeling better now.  Even if your dog has had no difficulties with anesthesia, each time is different and scary.  Last fall Andi was undergoing a procedure involved with her broken leg that she's had done at least twice before.  This time, she reacted and went into cardiac arrest in the space of a minute!!  :yikes  Fortunately, the staff were right there and got everything under control, and she was right as rain within a half hour - and I didn't know anything about it until it was over!! - so you just never know!!

I agree "each time is different". I know too much now from my other greys -- ignorance is bliss! So glad Andi was with a great team at the vet.

Thank you EllenEveBaz

1 hour ago, zimsmom said:

You can given Tylenol to dogs???

So I should give her Tylenol. And do what I am told?!

There's no way I would give it to my dogs.

This explains the Tylenol issue.  https://www.petmd.com/dog/care/can-you-give-dog-tylenol

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png