Hope for Excessive Bleeding Disorder

I've been waiting for this news for a couple years now!!!

Genetic Testing Developed for Excessive Bleeding Disorder in Sighthounds

Both Andi and Felicity submitted blood samples two years ago for genetic testing to help develop this test.  Felicity does have DEPOH and we deal with that issue constantly.  Andi does not have it normally, but she had some bad post-up bleeding following her first surgery to fix her badly broken leg.  They were nominated for the study by the head of the bloodbank where we donate blood.

This is awesome news for every greyhound owner!!  To know beforehand whether you need to go to the time and expense to find Amicar (or a substitute) is brilliant!!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

This is awesome news! Thank you, girls, for your service. :beatheart 

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Interesting! 

I'll pass the info along to our Veterinarian.   

Does the test have to be sent away to ??? or is it something the Vet can read in the office? 

How long for a result?

And what will the cost for the test be?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

https://labs.wsu.edu/court-lab/delayed-postoperative-hemorrhage-testing/order-a-depohgen-tm-test/

Nancy, it looks like it won't be available internationally until they have credit card payment set up. It's US$65, which is super affordable, IMHO. I'm going to push for Roman to get this at his checkup in April, since he bleeds so bad when he gets scrapes and cuts.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Just remember it says in the article this particular test may NOT work for greyhounds!!!  They have different DNA bases than Deerhounds.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Looks like this involves sending away for the test, collecting the sample, returning the test and then waiting for the results … so this something that should be done long before the dog needs surgery.

The price is very reasonable but they really do need to set it up for CC or e-transfers which I’m sure they will do.  
And too bad it’s not available outside USA.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg