Need advice: Cough only when laying down

I am a little late to the party, but wanted to add Val (black girl dog :D )  had an intermittent cough, usually just the one cough. She had it when I got her at 7 and was still doing it when I lost her at 14. We never had a cause, but her vet wasn’t worried so I tried not to be either.

It's *probably* nothing.  Really.  Not every single thing is a problem.  Sometimes a cough is just a cough.

But...

In a getting-to-be-a-senior dog, any symptom can be something to to watch.  And an intermittent cough was my puppy's only indication of a heart defect, so I have PTSD around hearing one!  :rolleyes:   To be honest, if it was me, (and I could easily afford it), I would probably do BOTH a chest xray AND schedule an echocardiogram before I would allow my dog to undergo anesthesia for a dental if I had any questions in my mind at all.  Both are quick and easy to do without any sedation, and will give you a lot of confidence going forward.  And if she does happen to develop any serious issues in the future they will give you a baseline for comparison.

There is also this specific blood test:

Pro-BNP Testing

It could be your vet has already done this, but if not it's also easy and quick and very accurate in diagnosing heart issues.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

8 hours ago, greysmom said:

It's *probably* nothing.  Really.  Not every single thing is a problem.  Sometimes a cough is just a cough.

But...

In a getting-to-be-a-senior dog, any symptom can be something to to watch.  And an intermittent cough was my puppy's only indication of a heart defect, so I have PTSD around hearing one!  :rolleyes:   To be honest, if it was me, (and I could easily afford it), I would probably do BOTH a chest xray AND schedule an echocardiogram before I would allow my dog to undergo anesthesia for a dental if I had any questions in my mind at all.  Both are quick and easy to do without any sedation, and will give you a lot of confidence going forward.  And if she does happen to develop any serious issues in the future they will give you a baseline for comparison.

Pro-BNP Testing

It could be your vet has already done this, but if not it's also easy and quick and very accurate in diagnosing heart issues.

Thank you for your input. I probably will just be on the safe side and do an X-ray and echo. She means THE WORLD to me so I will do everything possible for her. 💗

And thanks for the idea of that blood test, I don’t think that was part of the CBC she had done. 

8 hours ago, Remolacha said:

I am a little late to the party, but wanted to add Val (black girl dog :D )  had an intermittent cough, usually just the one cough. She had it when I got her at 7 and was still doing it when I lost her at 14. We never had a cause, but her vet wasn’t worried so I tried not to be either.

Oh, good to know! I would be so grateful to have a hound until age 14! ❤️

8 hours ago, greysmom said:

But...

Pro-BNP Testing

Hmmm it almost sounds like the article is suggesting this blood test be the first step action, followed by X-ray and echo if needed. This is such great information! Thank you. 🙏

Are you feeding her grain free kibble?

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

On 1/31/2023 at 6:03 PM, greyhoundparty said:

Hmmm it almost sounds like the article is suggesting this blood test be the first step action, followed by X-ray and echo if needed. This is such great information! Thank you. 🙏

The order doesn't matter since you are farther along in the investigative process.  It's just another tool in the toolbox.

Ducky's question about grain free food is valid, however the effects of DCM are usually much worse.  Reflux is definitely a possibility.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

On 2/2/2023 at 12:39 PM, greysmom said:

The order doesn't matter since you are farther along in the investigative process.  It's just another tool in the toolbox.

Ducky's question about grain free food is valid, however the effects of DCM are usually much worse.  Reflux is definitely a possibility.

Ok thank you!
Sorry, what is DCM? 

38 minutes ago, greyhoundparty said:

Hi sorry I missed your message. I think her current kibble is grain free bc they were out of the regular kind but I do give her bread bits and rice sometimes to supplement. Is grain free bad? 

Maybe: https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/outbreaks-and-advisories/fda-investigation-potential-link-between-certain-diets-and-canine-dilated-cardiomyopathy

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I have had dogs do that. I never thought anything about it and I am admittedly a mother hen.  Also nothing ever came of it. None of the dogs that did it ever had any respiratory issues ever.  I think she is most likely just clearing her throat.  Wait until you get one that has "drinkers cough."  Every time they drink they cough and hack quite a bit.  Absolutely normal my board certified vet told me. He said some of them just do that and it is  called "drinkers cough."  It also never caused any issues whatever to my hound.

3 hours ago, racindog said:

I have had dogs do that. I never thought anything about it and I am admittedly a mother hen.  Also nothing ever came of it. None of the dogs that did it ever had any respiratory issues ever.  I think she is most likely just clearing her throat.  Wait until you get one that has "drinkers cough."  Every time they drink they cough and hack quite a bit.  Absolutely normal my board certified vet told me. He said some of them just do that and it is  called "drinkers cough."  It also never caused any issues whatever to my hound.

Haha yes I’ve seen and heard the drinkers cough! Not to mention the water that is coughed up 🤣

It’s different than that and only precipitated by slight movement after lying still for a while. It’s like an “old dog” hack sound.