November update, all's well

As the title says, All is well with Apollo.   He is a goofy, loveable, overgrown baby.

We have been going to the greyhound meetups/playgroup as often as we can.  But we also started going to a local dog park.  It's a small park and usually less than 7 dogs inside.   Apollo has realized that he likes to run and that he's pretty good at it.  He doesn't always like to run with other greyhounds, as they are as fast or faster than he is, and some of them bark when they run, which is scary for him.   But he does love to run with other dogs, and is definitely not a breedist, but he prefers hounds.   He's got that famous grey smile with his tongue hanging out while he's playing and it's really fun to watch and experience.

His running is based in play drive, not prey drive which I find really interesting.  He won't be the first to start running, but if another dog is running all out and having fun, Apollo is generally willing to run with the other doggo.   This being said, I also recognize that he's a big dog and many of the dogs that are his "friends" are very small (25lbs or less.)  So last night when he was running with his doodle friend, and she got a tad bit scared and "yiped"  I leashed him up and left.  I don't think he would ever hurt another dog on purpose, but he's a big, strong dog and I kept seeing how he throws his toys around in my mind and imagining what could happen if he did that to another dog.   The other owners insisted for me to stay, but we left because play drive can turn into prey drive in a blink of an eye.

The best part of my day is seeing this boy happy, and after almost a year of his company I realize that he's taught me a lot about patience.  And he's also in the slow process of learning how to "dog."  Not just learning how to "greyhound."  It's so much fun to watch.

He is still very human shy, but if the human isn't looking at him, he'll get close enough to sniff a hand or a backside.  I thank the playgroup for his progress in so many ways.

What a great update!!  Congratulations to you both!!  :yay  :yay  :yay  

Here's to continued progress!!  :thumbs-up 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

What a wonderful update!  :yay

He is still very human shy, but if the human isn't looking at him, he'll get close enough to sniff a hand or a backside.

That made me laugh at a memory of my shy boy, Spirit.  I had 2 college boys helping me with some major pruning in the garden and they wanted to pet and greet Spirit.  My Chicken Little Spirit was having none of that.  Stranger Danger!  However, when the boys gave up and turned back to work, Spirit was right there, inches from their backs, sniffing and investigating.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.