Carprofen or Galliprant

My understanding is that Carprofen can be given as needed while Galliprant is administered every day. Given Punkin's propensity toward episodes of pancreatitis, our vet is strongly recommending Galliprant as it is supposed to be less stressful on the GI tract. It's just so darned expensive, but Punkin will get what she needs. 

Thoughts appreciated on your experience with either or both meds. Thank you!

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Jan, I've no experience with either but will mention to check prices at many pharmacies.  There is an amazing variation in the cost of a drug between pharmacies.  Years ago, looking for Gabapentin for Piper, I found monthly supplies for a price range of $300 down to $35. 

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Of the 2, we've only used Carprofen and found the price to be better for one a couple of generic variations. The one we usually end up with is called TruProfen and we get it from the Sam's Club Pharmacy at the best price. I think we also picked it up once from the vet at a pretty competitive price. If you haven't previously used Chewy Pet Pharmacy, there is often a 20% off coupon for first time customers of the Chewy Pet Pharmacy, and you can also often use a Good RX discount code at Heartland Vet Supply. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

You'd need to be very careful administering carprofen to her - only on a full stomach, definitely for her.  And still, I'd be inclined to go with Galliprant if you can find it at an acceptable price, just for that reason.  Meloxicam liquid can also be a little easier on the stomach, if that's an option,

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I used Galliprant for Conner after he became sensitive to meloxicam and he had no issues with it. It is going to be more expensive because I think it is too new to have a generic (someone will correct me if I am wrong, I’m sure :lol) but I got it from Chewy for a fairly reasonable price. I have also found the Costco pharmacy to be reasonable. Val’s prescription for 90 gabapentin was $17

Thank you for replying! 

Lucy, that was quite a price range for Gabapentin for Piper :heart

Don, we are longtime Chewy pharmacy customers :)

Chris, def we are leaning toward Galliprant given Punk's hx.

Jan, good to know, she's been getting Gabapentin for a while now.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.