"Glandex" fiber supplement..anyone use it?

We recently had a vet appointment and of course, the subject of poop came up :lol  at one point.  Vet confirmed that Stanley's poop-pattern (first one on a walk is in good shape, downhill from there) is normal.  No action required on our part, but if we wanted, we could change to a prescription-type of food that produces less waste (~$100 per bag--no thanks).

OR, we could try a fiber supplement--the doggie equivalent of Benefiber.  Apparently there is a product called "Glandex" which as the name suggests, is primarily marketed towards anal gland issues, but essentially is  a flavored fiber supplement.  Has anybody out there tried anything like this, and what were your results?  Thanks in advance!

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

Yes, adding non-soluble fiber can sometimes help resolve multiple-pooping issues.  You can do that by using a higher fiber food (usually rx), or adding fiber supplements.

Most of us here on GT have become fans of a supplement product called Olewo Carrots (Olewo Carrots).  These are dried carrots in pellet form which can be rehydrated and added into your dog's regular food.  They also have a beet pulp product (beet pulp is a common livestock supplement for adding fiber and can be bought from feed stores).  You can also just add plain, regular Benefiber tablets/powder (make sure there's no xylotol sugar and it's the NON-soluble kind).  Some people use plain, no salt, canned string beans.  Some people like to make a sort of vegetable stew in the crock pot so they can individualize the ingredients (high fiber grains, sweet potatoes, other veggies, broths, etc).  It just depends on what you're comfortable with and what works best for your dog.

In our house we found the carrots do the job.  Just one tablespoon of pellets, rehydrated with warm water, turns into about a 1/2 cup of fiber.  We only put it in one meal as we found it was *too* binding if used twice a day.  Since we started the carrots both our dogs have perfect stools whenever they poop!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Not what you asked, but we’ve been feeding Iams mini chunks (green bag) and their Mature formula (purple bag) for years and have not had a loose poop issue with any of the campers. Both formulas contain beet pulp that helps firm them up. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Just a note from the other side that too much fiber is not always a solution. Wiki came to me on food with beet pulp in it and added benefiber. She pooped like a horse! :eek In quantity and frequency. Her loose stools were due to hookworms, but she went back to normal amount and frequency when I stopped the benefiber then switched her to a non-beet pulp food.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

23 hours ago, Houndtime said:

Olewo carrots.  Works for us.  Actually, I mean works for the dogs. :P

It works for us, as well....but basically only on the first poop of a long walk.  We have been Olewo users for a while.  We're just wondering if an additional/different source of fiber might help further.

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

23 hours ago, greysmom said:

Most of us here on GT have become fans of a supplement product called Olewo Carrots (Olewo Carrots). 

As am !

They also have a beet pulp product

I've tried that as well...unfortunately, the Olewo products (all of them) have only accomplished the first poop of a walk being in good shape. 

You can also just add plain, regular Benefiber tablets/powder (make sure there's no xylotol sugar and it's the NON-soluble kind). 

Yeah the vet said something similar...just watch the ingredients.  This is why I asked about the Glandex brand as it was formulated for dogs.

In our house we found the carrots do the job.  Just one tablespoon of pellets, rehydrated with warm water, turns into about a 1/2 cup of fiber.  We only put it in one meal as we found it was *too* binding if used twice a day.  Since we started the carrots both our dogs have perfect stools whenever they poop!

Well I''m jealous !  We use the carrots twice a day.

I think  the problem may be that Stanley feels the need to "let it all go" on his long walks.   Oh well, we may try the glandex, we ma not.

Thanks for all the advice.

Edited by Sniffy

1 minute ago, Sniffy said:

Most of us here on GT have become fans of a supplement product called Olewo Carrots (Olewo Carrots). 

As am !

They also have a beet pulp product

I've tried that as well...unfortunately, the Olewo products (all of them) have only accomplished the first poop of a walk being in good shape. 

You can also just add plain, regular Benefiber tablets/powder (make sure there's no xylotol sugar and it's the NON-soluble kind). 

Yeah the vet said something similar...just watch the ingredients.  This is why I asked about the Glandex brand as it was formulated for dogs.

Well I''m jealous !  We use the carrots twice a day.

I think  the problem may be that Stanley feels the need to "let it all go" on his long walks.   Oh well, we may try the glandex, we ma not.

Thanks for all the advice.

mmmm......my greys went from 4+ poops a day to maybe one firm on purina! Proplan focus and i reduced down to Purina One Beef(less calories) and have been able to cut out the fish oil and just about everything else. there has to be a reason that so many breeders are serving purina. and i don't think it's them being bought by the company. 

it's worth a try- they have chicken, lamb, salmon and beef varieties - something is bound to work. i even know people who have dogs in top shape feeding old fashioned dog chow! the checkered board pattern bag!

also, how old/size/weight of your dog. dogs need less food than you realize.  felix 74#- 2.5- 3 c per day, annie was 65lbs and ate 2 cups a day, mango, 34#s but young is 2 c, lettuce, 5- 34lbs- 1c day. in my old age i'm leaning away from higher end designer foods.

The issue of poops getting progressively looser on walks is, I think, more mechanical than anything else.

There are two factors:  One is that the food in the gut is getting continually churned up when walking, so it doesn't have a chance to sit and firm up.  Two - not having a chance to sit means it's liquid quantity from the food doesn't have a chance to reabsorb through the gut, so it's naturally looser and more liquidy.  Then the smells and stimulation of the walk itself causes them to want to go more, so the gut is just processing as fast as it can and out it goes!

So it's not really a "problem" per se that needs solving, it's just what happens as their food is digested.  The caveat being he has to be cleared of any medical issues and parasites, which can throw off any normal gut work.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

41 minutes ago, greysmom said:

The issue of poops getting progressively looser on walks is, I think, more mechanical than anything else.

There are two factors:  One is that the food in the gut is getting continually churned up when walking, so it doesn't have a chance to sit and firm up.  Two - not having a chance to sit means it's liquid quantity from the food doesn't have a chance to reabsorb through the gut, so it's naturally looser and more liquidy.  Then the smells and stimulation of the walk itself causes them to want to go more, so the gut is just processing as fast as it can and out it goes!

So it's not really a "problem" per se that needs solving, it's just what happens as their food is digested.  The caveat being he has to be cleared of any medical issues and parasites, which can throw off any normal gut work.

my point is the food really isn't getting digested! 

why the radical change is both amount and consistency of stool when food was changed?  as my vet/friend said- it's more digestible(she is the one who suggested purina)

has overfeeding been considered into the solution? 

Thanks to everyone for  your responses and comments.

We are going to go ahead and try the glandex; I will post with the....outcome   :D  The name scared me a bit until I realized it's not a drug but a glorified metamucil for dogs.

The subject of feeding quantity didn't come up in our discussions with the vet...Stanley hadn't gained weight in the year we've had him, so it didn't occur to me to ask.  Definitely something to consider, though.

We'll see if Stanley lessens the demand for poop bags or if we are....pooping away money in a different way by trying this product, but time will tell!