Night time whining

I have had my greyhound now for 3 years she is 6years old and a retired racer. 
The past 6 weeks she has been crying through the night, which me or my partner will come down and tell her to be quiet and lie down, which she does but then will start again.

she is all me and is with me constantly when I’m home, even if I go to toilet she’s crying outside the door, does anyone have any tips? 

First of all, where in the world are you and are you entering into the cold part of the year where you live? Could she be cold? Are there any noises that she might be able to hear that are disturbing her if this is a new thing at night?

Secondly, if she whines and you go to her, you are giving her the attention she wants. If she doesn’t need anything, like the toilet, when you go down to her, she is probably just after attention and you are gratifying her. It’s hard, but could you try ignoring her for one night and see if she gets the message?

Could your arrangement at home allow her to sleep closer to you, like outside your bedroom with the door ajar (if you don’t want her in with you)? Maybe she is just lonely if she is so attached to you, and maybe you need to look at working on alone training if you don’t want her in/next to your bedroom.

I can’t comment on why she’s started doing it after having had her for so long. Has anything changed in your situation at home that could have triggered this new behaviour?

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

In addition to the above by MerseyGrey, have you both been at home during the pandemic and now one or both gone back to work? There are a lot of dogs now suffering from separation anxiety as their owners have returned to working back in the office.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Just had an instance of that last night at my house, although in my case I can attribute Stanley's crying to the wind and rain we had during an overnight storm (and the knocking over of trash cans outside by the wind). I came downstairs and slept on the couch next to his bed, but it was only a one-time instance, here's hoping.

Stanley is allowed on the upper floor, but he prefers solitude on the ground floor even though he supposedly used the stairs at his shelter. We even have carpet runners on the stairs, but he refuses to ascend <_<

It sounds like your dog might also not like the stairs ?  I'd love for Stanley to sleep in the bedroom (on his own bed) but he won't go upstairs no matter what.

On another note, I've heard anecdotally about the use of diffuser oils to calm down the hound--and as a last resort, medications--although I have no experience with either.

If there is no environmental cause for this (weather, frequency of being left alone, etc) then maybe a vet visit is in order?

Good luck!!

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

crate and cover the crate. keep the crate in your bedroom and a good squirt with a plant spray and a firm knock it off or SHHHHHHSH! a couple of nights of this routine and your dog should get the message to sleep and not fuss.

i don't buy the,"your dog is hungry" routine. i do throw a couple of dog biscuits into the crate, but that's it. a thick comforter or some blankets, towels should pad the crate enough. 

dogs do like sleeping in the same room as their owners unless they are in a room w/ other dogs and trained that way.

Since I make flannel housecoats for the dogs, a lot of my customers tell me that their dogs sleep better when wearing the coat to bed.  It works in winter and summer as most of us use air conditioning in the summer.  Cold air drops and generally dogs sleep on their beds on the floor.  My dogs have slept in a light fleece coat for years.  Look at the page "Dog Coat Models".   They are some Grey Talk models on the page.

www.houndtime.com

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds