Greyhound Suddenly Not Sleeping and Jumping Up At Night

My Greyhound, Hobbs, who I've had for 3 years, has stopped sleeping through the night. He's also exhibiting behavior (only at night) where he jumps up suddenly, like a shot, from where he's laying - and then he can't settle down. He'll lay down for a couple minutes but then shoot back up again. And then either wander around or come over to me in bed. I've taken to shutting my bedroom door to get sleep (after he wanders into the connected living room).

At first I thought maybe it was because I hadn't been able to walk him for over a week due to the recent winter weather. But we've since resumed our long, daily walks and the behavior persists. Being he's 8 years old, I also thought maybe his joints were stiff. (He's showing the initial signs of aging.) So I started him on fish oil. But to no avail.

I'm not sure it's even physical, though, because this behavior only happens at night. He sleeps fine throughout the day and is moving around normally. No signs of anything being off. Also, it's only when I go to bed that this starts. And when I get up in the morning, he tends to settle and fall asleep.

While this behavior has been consistent recently, he did do this for the first time a few months ago. But it only happened a handful of times. I mentioned it to my vet shortly afterward, and (after asking some questions to rule out worms, etc.) she said it sounded as if he was hearing something I couldn't. I live in apartment complex, and new neighbors had recently moved in right below me. It's a family with (loud) kids, and the kids' bedroom is directly below mine (which is where Hobbs usually sleeps). So at the time, I chocked it up to him hearing something that I didn't. But then when winter came, in recent weeks, it's turned into almost every night - all night long.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated! 

Could it be static? In the colder, drier months we see this with Sweep sometimes. She'll get a little shock and spring up out of bed suddenly. It's worse with fleece blankets and bedding.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

1 hour ago, Jerilyn said:

When my Lila had these symptoms, it was belly pain or gas.  Anything new in his diet?  GasX was a big help for us.

We've tried some new treats but, since his stomach is sensitive, those only include simple ingredients. For example, dried chews of duck, bison, etc.

Also, he eats most of his kibble at night so maybe that's effecting things? He hardly eats during the day, but then has a scoop of kibble when I eat dinner. Then he'll usually have another a few hours later right before bed. And then eat a bit more during the night. I wonder if that could be causing gas...

Also, I didn't know that you could give them GasX. How much do you give her? (I could always give Hobbs a dose before bedtime to see if it makes a difference. He does get raw goat milk daily to get probiotics. I found early on that it helps with his sensitive tummy. He also gets ginger dental treats. But maybe right now he's getting extra gassy at night for some reason.) 

Edited by JennLynn

Since he's mostly eating at night, it seems more likely it could be belly related.  How old is Hobbs?  Lila started having problems when she was 10 or 11 and could no longer handle things that she ate with no issues previously.

I would just give one GasX pill after meals. It's a pretty safe medication, I don't think it could cause many problems. Just make sure it only contains Simethicone. I think there is a version of GasX that has something else in it. It can't hurt to try it.

I hope this simple solution works for you. I know how hard it is to see them uncomfortable, and how hard it is to have interrupted sleep.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Could also be some joint pain, a vet visit may be in order. My gang gets CBD oil and monthly chiro treatments, and G gets cold laser (he's 7.5).

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Make sure he's not getting cold at night - a blanket for him, or have him sleep in a light coat or PJs.  Make sure his bed is out of drafts and feels comfortable and safe for him.  Did the behavior begin when you started using the heat for the winter?

Have you tried changing your bedtime routine to disrupt the start of the behavior?  Or crating him in your bedroom?  Making sure he completely goes potty before bed?

It sounds like he's the one dictating when he eats.  The one thing I've discovered for dogs with sensitive stomachs is that they need to be on a strict schedule, and they do much better when their stomachs don't get completely empty.  He's getting nearly all his food within a very short time of going to bed.  Most dogs will do better having their meals spread out (though nearly every dog I've had has self-selected themselves out of breakfast at some point as they have aged).  At 8 years old, unless he's unusually active, he probably doesn't really need 2-plus cups of food to maintain a healthy body weight.

If it is an anxiety behavior, it could be that an anti anxiety medication will help him settle and sleep through the night.  Also, if he does have some arthritis or joint issues, it may be time to start him on a daily nsaid to keep him comfortable.  At some point, OTC supplements just don't provide enough relief for older dogs.  Something to talk about with your vet.

Another thing to discuss would be the onset of Sundowner's Syndrome and/or doggy dementia.  He's a bit young for it, but each dog ages at their own pace, and he is technically a senior.  Their is a medication for it now for dogs and it might be worth exploring.

Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have found that our dogs, as well as a lot of other's, sleep better when they are wearing pj's or a house coat.  My boy waits each night for me to place his house coat on him before crating. 

I make flannel and light fleece house coats.  zoom doggies at www.houndtime.com.  Or if you want the pj's with legs, search out on etsy.  I have seen purchases posted on lists where greyhound owners have bought on etsy sights.  Good luck.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds