Just another evening in Houndtown

EllenEveBaz

Came home yesterday evening to find Gelsey with a split dewclaw.  How I dislike dewclaws, just for this reason.  Thought I would take the clippers to it in the morning when the light was better.  A few hours later, I heard suspiciously loud chomping from Milo's direction.  It seems Dr Gelsey had surgically removed the dewclaw's outer layer herownself, and Milo was trying to eat it.  

Just the quick is left of the nail.  Gelsey doesn't act like it's bothering her, but it leaves a little drop of blood everyplace she lies down.  (I just cleaned it and left it unbandaged.)  The outer part of the nail reminds me of a shrimp shell, but Milo says it is very tricky to try to chomp.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I too think shrimp shell when that happens. Can you dip it in some flour to get it to clot?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

On 12/14/2021 at 9:05 AM, macoduck said:

I too think shrimp shell when that happens. Can you dip it in some flour to get it to clot?

Or you could try cornstarch to get it to clot if you don't have styptic powder.   

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

When Diva and Mark arrived they needed nail trims. Apparently, clipped nails are a delicacy that I didn't know about. They went around picking up the clippings and eating them before I could get to the Dustbuster. I've never had a dog who did that before and had never seen that happen. :lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Is it still considered a bad habit if you're biting someone else's nails? :P Heal up riteawaykwik, Gelsey!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

The little bit of blood didn't bother me.  I am just amused by behaviors that remind us that our domesticated dogs are still, well, dogs.  Do you know of any human who would rip off a nail that was torn to the quick?  Let alone try to eat somebody else's.  No, just another evening in houndtown.

Saturday evening Milo brought in a HUGE rabbit from the back yard, and was unpersuaded by Gelsey's attempts to convince him there was enough to share.   Just another evening in houndtown.  And this morning, Gelsey hopped up on my bed (NO Gelsey), snagged a used tissue from my nightstand that I thought I had put up out of her reach (NO NO Gelsey) and carried it off to the living room rug to shred into a million pieces (NO NO NO Gelsey).  

clipped nails are a delicacy

When Jeter first arrived, he cleaned  up my toenail clippings from the floor.  I taught him not to.  I don't suppose they would have hurt his stomach, but I was just too weirded out by it.  Now, if I just could have taught him to nibble them down while they were still attached, saving me the effort, maybe we could have worked something out.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter