Noisy hound when walking..

Lw27

Hi All, 

I have a 5 year old ex racer, owned him coming up to nearly a year. The dog is quite fit and excitable (for a greyhound) walking at least an hour daily with weekend field runs.

I have noticed that he sounds a little like a steam train at times when out on walks, not so much panting but will seem to just breathe just through the mouth. I have noticed he will open and close his bottom jaw quickly which sometimes results in an almost snorting sound. A noise like if you were to quickly inhale with your mouth open and not through the nose... His jaw does vibrate at times when doing this, but not always. The dog has recently  been vaccinated for Kennel cough, not sure how long it has been happening or I have only just started to notice.

I cant work out whether I just have a real excitable hound who is enjoying being outside or whether this is an underlying issue such as early LP? if anybody has experienced something similar or has a noisy hound when out and about please let me know. Obviously I don't want an unnecessary sedation and vet visit.

I have not noticed anything like this when inside the house, just when out walking outside. The dog doesn't pant excessively when back home. Dog eats and drinks well, otherwise seems to be a happy chap.

Always had dogs but I am a first time hound owner and have slowly come to realise these dogs have different "traits" to other breeds. I am a worrier anyway which doesn't help. 

Thanks in advance.

The first thing that catches my eye is that his collar is very tight. A martingale collar is preferred since it has a gentle cinching action and eases when the dog doesn't pull. A tag collar can be a buckle collar, but I still prefer a non-buckle style.

I wouldn't try a harness yet. Often it makes them want to pull more.

I've also had some that huffed and puffed on walks and others that were so quiet you'd never know they were there.

Does he makes similar noises at home when resting or when excited about something?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I don't hear or see anything unusual.  :dunno  

A lot of times they will open their mouths when sniffing - sort of like a flehmen response in cats.

But the collar thing is real.  Both for safety and for health reasons, he needs to be in a martingale collar, probably at least a 1 1/2 inch wide one (2 inches would be better).  It only tightens as they pull against it, and is much harder for them to escape from in the event they get startled or scared.  Collars can become an obsession though, so be warned!!  ;)  

A harness may be a solution though.  Try the No-Pull Freedom Harness from 2 Hounds designs.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

8 hours ago, macoduck said:

The first thing that catches my eye is that his collar is very tight. A martingale collar is preferred since it has a gentle cinching action and eases when the dog doesn't pull. A tag collar can be a buckle collar, but I still prefer a non-buckle style.

I wouldn't try a harness yet. Often it makes them want to pull more.

I've also had some that huffed and puffed on walks and others that were so quiet you'd never know they were there.

Does he makes similar noises at home when resting or when excited about something?

Ahh yeah, I think the collar is okay as I can get two fingers underneath. It may have been me pulling the lead tight to try and get a video. I have heard that the martingale collars are better!?

Interesting, he seems to breathe heavy through the mouth which creates a snorting sound.. I don't really notice anything at home. I was worried about Laryngeal paralysis? Guessing that would show more symptoms?.. 

Thanks for the responses. I think the collar is okay as I can fit two fjngers underneath.. I was pulling the lead short to try and get a good view. 

Interesting about the louder hounds, he just sounds like he is huffing and puffing through the walk. Could you describe what is meant by a noise hound? I was worried about laryngeal paralysis.. I am guessing that would show other symptoms?

The noise is similar to that of when he is excited, although this seems more continuous. I have not noticed it when resting at home. 

The video isn't great, but he will open and close the mouth at a fast rate which creates a heavy breathing/snorting noise. If this isn't normal, then maybe I will get it checked out? 

His fitness seems good, after a couple of miles he still is keen to continue. Didn't want to make an underlying issue worse. 

Grace makes a similar sound at the start of our walks but settles down after a few minutes. I think it's because she's excited about going out. The jaw vibrating could be an exaggerated teeth chattering which greyhounds do when happy.

If you are still worried and for your own piece of mind have your vet look at him.

To jump in on the collar debate. Grace's is a fishtail collar which she wears when we go out and a normal soft dog collar with her ID tag attached which she wears most of the time.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Buddy makes a similar noise and we often comment on his ‘steam train’ impression due to the chug chug noise he makes. We haven’t always, but we currently walk him on a harness because I feel more able to pull back against him if he pulls for some reason (usually sight of a cat, squirrel, leaf or crisp packet) without hurting him. Not everyone feels like that so it’s a case of personal preference really. 
Does he cough a lot after exercise or on hot days? I don’t think what he is doing in the video is coughing, it just sounds pretty normal to me.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

If you can fit two fingers in a buckle collar he can easily pull his head out of it if he's startled or scared.  Their particular anatomy makes a martingale collar the safest option.

If you're particular about wanting a leather collar on your dog, there are plenty of options available - fishtail collars, chain martingales, even adjustable buckle-martingales.  But get him in one for his own safety.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My Stanley does this as well--I never regarded it as anything of concern because he doesn't do it during the entire walk, and never does it indoors. I agree with those who said it is either general excitement being outdoors (every walk is going on a hunt, of course!), and the sniffing process.

Between the chug chugging sound and some very loud sighs indoors, we have given Stanley a middle name.  Westinghouse.  Because Westinghouse invented the air brake, and that's kind of what he sounds like :D

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?