Newly adopted greyhound attacked small dog

Hi all, 

I've just had the fright of my life this morning when my greyhound (have had her for 2 weeks) clamped onto a small fluffy dog on a walk. Both dogs were on leash, just walking past each other. I've noticed my dog is quite wary of smaller dogs when we've been out (ears pricked, fixed stare) but she's never lunged at one before. We were just walking past the dog on the footpath and my dog went in for a sniff and all of a sudden grabbed the dogs face in her mouth and would not let go. I had to pry her mouth open and pull her back. I don't think the dog came away with any injuries fortunately (and I gave the owner my details in case it did) but it was such a scary experience which I'd like to avoid in future. 

I'll be muzzling her at all times from now on but I'd just like some advice on how to move forward from this. I'd like to get her used to smaller dogs but now I fear that she'll attack again. She's very sweet with us at home and is totally fine with medium/larger sized dogs.

This is going to sound uncaring, but, it happens.  Fortunately, the other dog wasn't injured.  

Greyhounds have a prey drive / instinct.  Some of them have an intense prey drive, others could care less about "prey."  They've been bred for hundreds of years as hunting dogs.  2 weeks in is not enough time to know how your dog will reach around other dogs, rabbits, squirrels, cats etc. Ex-racers have not been around these types of dogs previously, so everything and everyone they are experiencing is brand new to them.  

I never let another dog run up to or near a new dog for many months.  The owners of other dogs who let thier small fluffy dogs run up to a greyhound to "say hi" are often clueless about what can happen and are also not in control of their dogs. 

Whether we are passing other dogs or people on a sidewalk, I always have my dog step off on to the grass and put them in a "Wait."  They know the wait command and they do not move until the passing party is past them.  That keeps me in control of my dog, and shows people that the "large dog" is really well behaved. It will take some time and training, but eventually you will know what trigers your dog.  Until that time, keep a death grip on the leash, and avoid those interactions where the other dog is moving quickly. Also, don't use the word "attakced" or similar words. Tell people that your dog is not yet used to other dogs and doesn't like them in his space. You don't want to give the perception that your dog is dangerous. He's not. He's simply being a dog. 

Good luck! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

1 hour ago, Time4ANap said:

This is going to sound uncaring, but, it happens.  Fortunately, the other dog wasn't injured.  

Greyhounds have a prey drive / instinct.  Some of them have an intense prey drive, others could care less about "prey."  They've been bred for hundreds of years as hunting dogs.  2 weeks in is not enough time to know how your dog will reach around other dogs, rabbits, squirrels, cats etc. Ex-racers have not been around these types of dogs previously, so everything and everyone they are experiencing is brand new to them.  

I never let another dog run up to or near a new dog for many months.  The owners of other dogs who let thier small fluffy dogs run up to a greyhound to "say hi" are often clueless about what can happen and are also not in control of their dogs. 

Whether we are passing other dogs or people on a sidewalk, I always have my dog step off on to the grass and put them in a "Wait."  They know the wait command and they do not move until the passing party is past them.  That keeps me in control of my dog, and shows people that the "large dog" is really well behaved. It will take some time and training, but eventually you will know what trigers your dog.  Until that time, keep a death grip on the leash, and avoid those interactions where the other dog is moving quickly. Also, don't use the word "attakced" or similar words. Tell people that your dog is not yet used to other dogs and doesn't like them in his space. You don't want to give the perception that your dog is dangerous. He's not. He's simply being a dog. 

Good luck! 

thank you for your advice, I appreciate it! In terms of training the wait, or training in general on walks I've found that my dog doesn't respond to treats really while we're out - do you have any suggestions for how I can go about training this? 

Try giving a quick tug on the lead to get their attention, not enough to hurt them but the equivalent of tapping someone on their shoulder, then immediately giving the command WAIT in a firm voice and standing still followed by praise or a treat. Or you could try the "look at me" technique when you are approaching another dog.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Since you've only had her for 2 weeks, everything is new in her world. Be extra cautious on walks but try not to let that "telegraph" down the leash to her.

In 2 months or so, after this "honeymoon" period of adjustment,  her personality will emerge. For now give her confidence and gentle corrections as needed.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

14 hours ago, newgreyparent said:

thank you for your advice, I appreciate it! In terms of training the wait, or training in general on walks I've found that my dog doesn't respond to treats really while we're out - do you have any suggestions for how I can go about training this? 

Repetition is the best trainer.  Be consistent in the way you  initiate the wait, and do it every time someone is going to pass you closely on the walk.  I always ended the wait by saying "okay" and continuing on.  Each of our dogs quickly learned to wait, both when people were passing us and when crossing the street.  It was routine for us, but I always had lots of comments abuot our dogs waiting before they crossed the street. Apparently many people have never seen that given the number of comments I would get. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

On 8/31/2021 at 8:34 PM, Time4ANap said:

Good luck! 

Greyt Advice! Love it!

Vesa is a Petite Red, 60 lb., DOB 06/01/2016, Adopted 08/2019. Vesa is allergic to all protiens , peanut butter, psyllium husk, egg, dairy and many other food allergies. She has been diagnosed with IBD and currently being treated with Chemo and Prednisone.