Best pet insurance for 2021

There are always people asking about pet insurance.  Just found this.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/l/best-pet-insurance-2021/?utm_campaign=Best-Pet-Insurance&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2UUXu64meqXIRyz5QKsusM5T_t0bHODpEuk6B-S61xWnvLFiECjiZcDss

What a shame.  Once a favorite, Healthy Paws didn't even make the list. Another great insurance company ruined by Greenpile. The guy who bought Chubb, which took over Healthy Paws. 

• 1 year later...

Just called Healthy Paws and was shocked that they no longer will cover new greyhounds pets at 90 percent. Have to find a new good insurance for my pet. Healthy Paws said that they changed their insurance underwriter and will only cover the greyhounds for 70 percent. Disappointed, as they were very good. Got to now spend time trying to find a good insurance that is stable.  Any Suggestions? Looking to take care of this in the next couple of days. 

Edited by SanTanSnuggles
Asking for opinions that I did not ask for before.

We got Pets Best for Doolin and Willa. Their pricing was very reasonable and they were highly reviewed (in both online articles and in a recent lengthy thread on this topic among my neighbors on Nextdoor :)). Haven't had to use them yet, but I found it very appealing that they will cover routine exams, dentals, and even acupuncture and chiropractic depending on the package you choose.

We had Healthy Paws for Sweep and never had any bad experiences or huge price hikes like others have reported (they quickly reimbursed 80% of her $24k cancer bills this past year), but they were more expensive for less coverage.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I checked out about twenty different sites. Took days. I ended up with SPOT.Com. It was high, but not as high a some. I got 90 Percent / $500 ded, /unlimited coverage. I wanted to use healthy paws, but they would only insure the new greyhound for 70 percent, $500 deductible. Again they said they changed their underwriter when I talked to them and are not insuring new greyhounds for more than I said. I even went back to the site and tried again, but got the same answer. The quoted cost at SPOT is about the same as it was at Pets Best, as were many others. I chose it because of the underwriter, that was also on some of the other pet policies.  AARP gives discounts, but it is a limited amount for the year that they would cover. AARP sponsors Fetch. Pumpkin was slightly more than Spot, but they have the same underwriter. Even checked out my home ins. to see if they offered Pet Ins and they did not. 

I had never had a problem with Healthy Paws as far as claims went, just that they took a long time to reimburse. I checked out AllState, Embrace, StateFarm, and so many more. Having pet insurance is so worth it. My other pet who has been with Healthy Paws is still there with the 90/250/unlimited policy. They will keep her, just not give me the same for the new greyhound girl. They changed their underwriter for new policies in Dec 2019, per their customer service.  

I even checked out Amazon, as sometimes over the past 12 years, they have made offers for discount programs that were so worth it. I could not do a veteran as my husband passed and I am not one. There were so many "Agents" who represented many of the same policies. My email got full and my phone rang off the hook for sure. I hope that now that I have made the move, that they will stop. :)

There was an interesting thing I saw when checking out my homeowners/vehicle site. They actually had a list of dogs that they will not cover an owner for if say the dog bit someone or such. Thankfully, greyhounds are not on that list. Their the dearest breed ever. I have 30 days to cancel without claims, should something better comes along. One could only wish. 

I will come back and check here now and than to see if anyone would like to give advice. I am always open for trying to save. Thank you to all who have commented. It helped me feel better about things. 

Thank you for reporting back on all the information you found.  That was a lot of work! Thanks for sharing.

I've got Healthy Paws still after several years because one of my dogs is almost 12 and I probably couldn't re-insure her anywhere else even though she is 100% healthy.  And I figure if I split them up then losing the multipet discount would be significant. They are charging way to much for the 2 yoa Belgian Shepherd but I'm sure they are just taking advantage of my situation. For 3 dogs, 11, 7 yoa greyhound, and 2 years it is ~$350 month. Don't even want to think about how high it will go for next year with this inflation.

• 1 month later...

Came back to see if anyone posted more on the greyhound health insurance and so far, no changes. So far my two ladies are good. One is going on nine and the newbe turned three in August. They both seem to be fine. Amen. Vets never use to charge so much that one had to get insurance in the past. One was  was able to take the pet to the vet more often and it seemed to me that when we were growing up back in the 60's and 70's that our pets did not seem to have as many issues as they have today and they lived longer for sure. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2022 at 9:44 PM, ramonaghan said:

We got Pets Best for Doolin and Willa. Their pricing was very reasonable and they were highly reviewed (in both online articles and in a recent lengthy thread on this topic among my neighbors on Nextdoor :)). Haven't had to use them yet, but I found it very appealing that they will cover routine exams, dentals, and even acupuncture and chiropractic depending on the package you choose.

We had Healthy Paws for Sweep and never had any bad experiences or huge price hikes like others have reported (they quickly reimbursed 80% of her $24k cancer bills this past year), but they were more expensive for less coverage.

I know this thread is old but I wanted to see if you still had the same pet insurance now?

that is a remarkable amount they covered for the C treatments...

10 minutes ago, greyhoundparty said:

I know this thread is old but I wanted to see if you still had the same pet insurance now?

that is a remarkable amount they covered for the C treatments...

I don't have Healthy Paws anymore because Pets Best was cheaper for Doolin and Willa, even for better coverage. I still haven't had to use it yet, but Willa has a vet appointment later this month...I'll report back! I will never go without pet insurance after our experience with Sweep. It made our decision-making so much easier during a very stressful time.

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

25 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

I don't have Healthy Paws anymore because Pets Best was cheaper for Doolin and Willa, even for better coverage. I still haven't had to use it yet, but Willa has a vet appointment later this month...I'll report back! I will never go without pet insurance after our experience with Sweep. It made our decision-making so much easier during a very stressful time.

That’s great! I’ve never had pet insurance but want to look at getting it for my girl. How much is Pets Best for both of yours, if I may ask? Thanks for the info!

46 minutes ago, greyhoundparty said:

That’s great! I’ve never had pet insurance but want to look at getting it for my girl. How much is Pets Best for both of yours, if I may ask? Thanks for the info!

Sure, it's $40 total/month ($20 per dog) with 90% reimbursement, a $1000 annual deductible, and no annual limit. They are 4 years old with no pre-existing conditions.

Edited by ramonaghan