Miss

12 year old female greyhound.

She is in good health, bad teeth but that's another matter. Fit and happy.

Recently I've noticed damp patches where she lays, doesn't smell of wee but has a slight odor to it. The other dog (male) seems to lick wherever she has been laying.

I dont believe her to have a urine issue as she's always had a strong bladder, she wees a lot on walks (almost scent marking) has done since she was 3 but can sleep from 2100 till 0900 the next day unless you kick her out of bed 😀

Any ideas please? 

Grace will start cleaning herself and licking her feet but for some reason she'll then start licking her bedding next to her foot. This will continue for some time making a large damp patch until I say NO.

I didn't realise what was happening at first and would come downstairs in the morning to find a large wet patch on the sofa where she had been sleeping. Fearing the worst, the throw covering the sofa was into the washing machine and the wet and dry spot cleaner was out.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

A greyhound vet friend suggested "Bladder Strength" by VetriScience for this problem. It's non-prescription and available in the US from Chewy.com. Both females and males can use it.

Your girl sounds like my Georgie. She is a solid sleeper and has never had an accident in the house.

It's not unusual for the urinary sphincter to relax while a dog rests. Bladder Strength worked nearly immediately for Georgie.

If you vet prescribes a medicine for incontinence, do not use Proin.  Try the Bladder Strength first. And then still don't use Proin as there are other Rx meds that are safer.

https://www.chewy.com/vetriscience-bladder-strength-dog/dp/42068

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

48 minutes ago, macoduck said:

A greyhound vet friend suggested "Bladder Strength" by VetriScience for this problem. It's non-prescription and available in the US from Chewy.com. Both females and males can use it.

Your girl sounds like my Georgie. She is a solid sleeper and has never had an accident in the house.

It's not unusual for the urinary sphincter to relax while a dog rests. Bladder Strength worked nearly immediately for Georgie.

If you vet prescribes a medicine for incontinence, do not use Proin.  Try the Bladder Strength first. And then still don't use Proin as there are other Rx meds that are safer.

I use this version for my senior female and like the product above it worked right away and has continued to work for years.  So if one don't work try the other one. They are different formulations. And it would be so much better for her to be controlled with one of these safe products.  https://www.chewy.com/vetriscience-vetri-bladder-canine/dp/48738

Urinary incontinence is really common in female greyhounds as they age.  They often don't even realize they are leaking as they sleep.  Just to be sure, a vet visit is in order to check her urine for infection or protein loss (taking a sample in with you will save time and trips), but she likely needs on of the meds/supplements referenced above.

I'm going to say once more for emphasis - DO NOT let your vet prescribe the drug Proin for her.  It's the most common drug for this condition, but in greyhounds it can increase their blood pressure to dangerous levels, causing severe health issues and even death in a very short time.  Our girl has been on D.E.S. (DES (diethylstilbestrol), a hormone replacement, for several years now and it's worked very well.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

in addition to the possibility that it’s urine or slobber, could it be vaginal discharge?  Seems like a male would be way more interested in that than urine, but they’re dogs so, who knows.  

Maybe you could wipe her vulva randomly a few times over a few days with a white tissue and see if there’s anything there.  She could be licking it mostly off and you might not notice it otherwise.    If it’s discharge and it’s smelly, she may have an infection. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2021 at 6:51 AM, macoduck said:

On 7/2/2021 at 7:47 AM, racindog said:

I use this version for my senior female and like the product above it worked right away and has continued to work for years.  So if one don't work try the other one. They are different formulations. And it would be so much better for her to be controlled with one of these safe products.  https://www.chewy.com/vetriscience-vetri-bladder-canine/dp/48738

How much of the Vetri-stuff do you give your dog?  After seeing this post, I bought Lily the Bladder Strength pills and the Vetri Bladder chews. She's 65 lbs..

Also, do you think 8 years is too early to start having some spotting here and there? I've been seeing similar signs to what Bobbles described: occasional spotting during the afternoon, when she's having her nap and her bladder is the most full.  Unlike UTI messes, there is barely any smell at all.

Gail

Gail, I don't think 8 years old is too young for this to start happening.

I give Georgie the Vetri Science Bladder Strength pills. They big so I cut them in half. In the beginning I gave her 1 with each meal. Now I give 1/2 at each meal.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My girl began having issues at 4 years old, so 8 isn't unusual.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly