Picky Pups

Hey gang,

Haven't been on here in a while!

Our girls are doing well... only issue is they have been super picky with eating... we are trying a different food (Ians green bag) at the moment. 

They are eating it but don't seem super excited about it. 

I know this is somewhat related to the hot weather. 

Any suggestions on food to try next if this one doesn't work out?

Thx for the help!

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

I add a cube of home-made frozen chicken stock melted with a bit of hot water to Grace's food when she seems to loose interest in it. I put a whole chicken in the slow cooker with nothing added and cook until done. The liquid is put into ice cube trays and frozen. The good leg and breast meat I have and the pickings are frozen on a flat tray and then put into a tub ready to either give Grace a small frozen treat or used the same way as the frozen stock cubes.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 2 weeks later...

Our girls love Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach, with a dollop of Olewo Carrots on top.  I add a little water in, to make a "soup".  Chicken stock might make it even more tempting.  I have had to use that in the past with our first GH, who was picky.  I would just buy the tetra packs and keep it in the fridge until all used up.  

Our girls are both hook positive, but asymptomatic, and their poops are AWESOME on the food regiment listed above.  We tried Iams green with another dog, but did not have success with that.  Each dog is different though.  Good luck.  I hate it when the pups won't eat or when the poops are mush.  

We have switched to Pro Plan Savor and that seems to be working. We also add a scoop of the wet version on top and that seems to have sweetened the deal even more :D

LOL when they weren’t eating well I’d lecture them saying there were starving pups in the world! 

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

• 4 weeks later...

i come from the school of hard knocks- put it down and pick it up.

i just went thru non eating w/ a sick dog and resorted to just canned food. lettuce who was on both clavamox and doxy just about stopped eating. she lost a good 4+ lbs(she only weighs 38lbs normally) and looked like death. i resorted to canned food in one bowl and kibble in the other bowl. i put it out and she ate some in the middle of the night. but she was ill and the antibiotics made her feel awful.  

now that's she's healthy i give her her portion for the day. put it out- 15 min later pick it up and stick it in the fridge. at night she gobbles the remaining food up. her 4+ lbs have been regained and she is slowing down since she is self regulating. we went from 2C of food down to 1.5-1.30C and she looks perfect.

I changed her over during recovery to purina pro plan sport since it has more calories than many foods. less is more- so you might want to give that a try. personally i am seeing excellent results with Pro Plan. it's easy to go from sport to focus when your dog needs less calories.

come, enroll in the school of hard knocks-