Letting a second greyhound spend the night

Hi all,

A member of a greyhound group who lives nearby has posted online asking whether anyone can take their boy on for a single night in about a week's time. Our 4.5-year-old girl Camilla is pretty easy-going and independent, and has never been terribly bothered by having other hounds around before, but we've never had one come to our home or spend an extended period of time together. I don't know much about the other hound yet, other than that he's a fairly new adoptee (about 6 weeks in).

I was just wondering whether there was any advice you could give for making sure this goes as smoothly as possible? 

How about having a short meet and greet at your home before hand. Most dogs are so very social that I find it is rarely a problem.

Always nice to have some one near by who can return the favor. Win/Win.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

I suspect you'll be fine. Sweep is not very tolerant of other dogs generally, but she's fine with other greyhounds. We had a greyhound guest (with his human) for a few days last year and it went well, despite it being the first time Sweep had another dog on her turf. She did growl at him a couple of times just to let him know who was boss :rolleyes: but that was it. They enjoyed sunbathing in the yard, going for walkies together, and synchronized napping. An initial meet and greet is not a bad idea, but if you can't do that, it could be helpful to have the drop-off at a neutral location (like a park) where they can meet for the first time without either feeling territorial. I'd also keep plenty of room between their beds and their food dishes in case either displays resource guarding or space issues.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

41 minutes ago, JaimeL said:

How about having a short meet and greet at your home before hand. Most dogs are so very social that I find it is rarely a problem.

Always nice to have some one near by who can return the favor. Win/Win.

Thank you! I definitely think a meet and greet beforehand will be a good idea...and you're right about having someone nearby to help out.

24 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

I suspect you'll be fine. Sweep is not very tolerant of other dogs generally, but she's fine with other greyhounds. We had a greyhound guest (with his human) for a few days last year and it went well, despite it being the first time Sweep had another dog on her turf. She did growl at him a couple of times just to let him know who was boss :rolleyes: but that was it. They enjoyed sunbathing in the yard, going for walkies together, and synchronized napping. An initial meet and greet is not a bad idea, but if you can't do that, it could be helpful to have the drop-off at a neutral location (like a park) where they can meet for the first time without either feeling territorial. I'd also keep plenty of room between their beds and their food dishes in case either displays resource guarding or space issues.

Thank you, that's very reassuring to know about your girl tolerating a new hound. I think we're planning to meet some time this week to see if they're likely to get on, and hope for the best!

We have had a number of hounds stay with us at different times. Some owned by other people, and some fosters when the Foster Mom needs a sitter.  We usually try to have the hound come and spend a few hours during the day, maybe a week or so before they are going to stay with us. This usually works well since it gives all of the hounds time to get comfortable with each other and learn where the door is to go outside.  The next time when they come to stay, there is little to no anxiety since they've been here before, and the most we have to do in the way of a new routine is get them into our bedroom and on to a dog bed for the night.  

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Best thing is an "accidental" meeting on neutral ground (neighbor's sidewalk).   You walk one dog and someone else walks the other..  You shouldn't have any problems - greys - especially those that raced - are usually good with other dogs. 

Don't overthink it....says the woman that spent a night about 20 years ago with a dozen  teenage greyhounds in her house.  We all lived.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Make sure the visitor has his muzzle. And maybe he could bring his own bed from home.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I've fostered countless dogs - make sure both are wearing muzzles (all the time) when they go out and at least for 4 hours inside until you get an idea of how they are interacting.  Separate them when eating and when giving treats. Do not approach the new dog when he is laying down on bed (or anyplace else) - call him to you instead.

14 hours ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

Make sure the visitor has his muzzle. And maybe he could bring his own bed from home.

14 hours ago, MaryJane said:

I've fostered countless dogs - make sure both are wearing muzzles (all the time) when they go out and at least for 4 hours inside until you get an idea of how they are interacting.  Separate them when eating and when giving treats. Do not approach the new dog when he is laying down on bed (or anyplace else) - call him to you instead.

Thank you for both of these replies, I was wondering about a muzzle and I guess it's been confirmed that they're pretty important for the first meet.

17 hours ago, Hubcitypam said:

Don't overthink it....

Guilty as charged!