My boy sat down during our walk and I almost could not get him home.

This morning on our normal walk (about 15 minutes), a few houses from mine my boy stopped - which he does sometimes - and sat, which as a greyhound, he NEVER does.  I wonder if he pulled a muscle or something. I was able to get him home by squealing “cmon boy...COOKIE!” but just barely. He’d walk four or five steps then stop and sit again. He came in, drank a bunch or water and laid down, which he always does.  He does not appear to be in any pain and is acting normal. One thing worth noting, maybe, I jogged with him for maybe 30 steps a bit before he did this. I also do this with him sometimes, but he has never done this before. I’m worried about him. 

38 minutes ago, cherwalsh_99 said:

This morning on our normal walk (about 15 minutes), a few houses from mine my boy stopped - which he does sometimes - and sat, which as a greyhound, he NEVER does.  I wonder if he pulled a muscle or something. I was able to get him home by squealing “cmon boy...COOKIE!” but just barely. He’d walk four or five steps then stop and sit again. He came in, drank a bunch or water and laid down, which he always does.  He does not appear to be in any pain and is acting normal. One thing worth noting, maybe, I jogged with him for maybe 30 steps a bit before he did this. I also do this with him sometimes, but he has never done this before. I’m worried about him. 

Sounds like maybe he over-heated.  My first Grey, Wendy, would do this.  

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

6 hours ago, cherwalsh_99 said:

Hi cherwalsh_99. Where are you located? I live on the east coast of Australia. I'm not a vet but this sounds a lot like the symptoms of paralysis tick poisoning (sudden onset, weak in the  legs, generally unstable, drinking more than usual). If in a paralysis tick area, I'd take the dog immediately to a vet. If not, still keep a vet in mind. Cheers. :)PS. My Max was in the vet hospital for two nights last year due to the paralysis tick.

My first grey would do this but would lay down & not move!! For a good 15-20 minutes.  One time the dog walker called the police because she did not know what to do:blink:

All behavioral in nature.   I learned to carry high value treats (think Bill Jacks liver treats) to get her up & going again!!

On 10/23/2019 at 8:21 PM, LaFlaca said:

Sounds like maybe he over-heated.  My first Grey, Wendy, would do this.  

You don't say where you are. Grace did this once when the weather was on the warm side. It was quite worrying at the time and I had to lift her back onto her feet and then she walked back home as normal as if nothing had happened. 

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Check his paw pads for corns.  If there is a corn there or one developing it will be painful to walk on concrete or asphalt. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life