Black turning blue

seeh2o

Gildy is my third black greyhound, I've had greyhounds for many years now, but I'm seeing something I've never come across before. Gildy is turning blue. It's not like a gray face or chest as in the aging process, I am very familiar with that (Doodles lived to be 14 and was very gray in the face and front of her chest). Gildy's face is turning gray like normal, she's 5.5 years old. She's turning blue from the underside up. Her neck is blue and it's starting to wrap around to her ears. The sides of her chest are turning blue and it's moving up towards her back, as are the lower part of her thighs. The blue fur is bunny soft, too.

When I adopted Carl, he had red patches of fur because it was August and he was still blowing his winter coat, plus he was living at an all breed shelter in the high desert, so I'm familiar with that color change. 

Has anyone ever experienced this? Gildy is as healthy as a horse, her mama, my beloved girl, Bowie, was a blue fawn.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Is it because of white hairs intermingling with/diluting her black?  Sort of like a steely blue roan horse?  Or really like a true blue fawn greyhound color which looks sort of pinkish or lilac?

I think we need a picture!!!  :heart

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

23 minutes ago, greysmom said:

Is it because of white hairs intermingling with/diluting her black?  Sort of like a steely blue roan horse?  Or really like a true blue fawn greyhound color which looks sort of pinkish or lilac?

I think we need a picture!!!  :heart

I know it sounds crazy, but it's not white hair or fur, it's almost like it's turning into all silver blue or steel gray undercoat, no black guard hairs. 

I would love to post a picture, I don't know how well it would show up, but I can't seem to post photos anymore now that Photobucket is not viable. If I could email one to you maybe you could post to this thread for me?!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

emily was black and turned seal color- not burnt brown hair- she had an interesting warm mahogany undertone to her coat seasonally.i used to wonder if there was black brindle in her lines, but it was not brindle, it was seal like many IG.

many dogs' coats will change with the weather or hormonal changes. they also can have winter nose- it's the daylight that affects the pigment. not necessarily the temperature. 

Sometimes changes in colour depend on feeding.  A higher level of biotine can add a shade of red to the coatfor example. 

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

She looks pretty cool, sort ifof a charcoal color when next to a jet back greyhound. I'm still trying to get a good photo of her color, but it's so hard with a black dog!

Edited by seeh2o
Autocorrect, the bane of my existence.