Do greys hate the wind?

Hey y'all, 

Our wonderful new grey Arrow (going on 6 months) was a big time statuer on walks when  we first got her. She's gradually improved and the walks generally go pretty well these days. However, this morning she was freezing big time in the driveway which is highly unusual. I then noticed that it was windy outside. The weather was nice otherwise, but the wind was significant and the big trees in the backyard were blowing around a fair amount. Do you all think that a windy day can be a factor in whether or not greys want to walk? 

So thankful for this forum. It's helped so much in learning the way of the grey. Cheers, John

Edited by ArrowOwner

Conner is afraid of thunderstorms, and I have noticed that high winds also make him nervous, although no where near as bad as the thunder monsters. Some greys could care less, I am sure, but some of the more sensitive ones, and from what you have said it sounds like Arrow is one of those, are spooked by high winds.

My Henry would have been terrified of branches moving in the wind.  He was a very timid boy (although he got braver with time) and anything new on his walk route, or moving when it hadn't before would scare him.  We went thru a month when he was scared of the stop sign down the street from my house.  Why I have no idea.  If your dog is on the timid side, it is totally understandable that he is uncomfortable walking --after all, one of those moving trees might fall on him.  He will get braver as he learns that trees can move and they won't hurt him..

Grace was the same. Statuing on walks, not keen on rain or wind but now she doesn't statue and she's not really bothered by the weather unless I put her coat on :huh.

I think it's easy to forget what a change of life these wonderful dogs go through and underestimate how long it takes for them to adjust. I've had Grace for 10 months and she's still developing. 

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Peggy only strongly dislikes hail, doesn't give a damn about thunder though.  Wind getting under her coat doesn't worry her either.

They detect squirrel prey in the trees when they spot just a single branch shaking, so if it is all on the move then the dog might not know quite what to make of it.

Mine seem to really like the wind. The other day we were jogging and it was a really blustery day. They generally don't love jogging on leash in the city because it's kind of monotonous, but this particular day they were extra frisky, especially any time we got a big headwind, then they'd get all excited and pull straight into it.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

it may not be the wind, it might be something flapping in it. look around. also, if you show any signs of being timid in a situation your dog will pick it up. so, if you feel it's unsafe they know! annie picked up any flapping fabric sounds or images as soon as wind picked up. camping with her was hysterical since the tent was always flapping in the wind.  her response,"OH ME, OH MY, OH NO!!" did i leave her at home? NO, she survived. felix like Krissy's dogs was always invigorated by it.