What Is The Issue After Anesthesia/recovery With Overheating?

I've searched everywhere and cannot find the medical condition that sadly many hounds have encountered while having surgery or while in recovery. I believe their temperature spikes (or goes to low???) and some do not survive.

I ask because our Larry, who just turned 12 last month, has to go in for a much-needed dental on Tuesday the 26th -- he also unfortunately has a very large growth on the roof of his mouth which is very suspect (and is causing swallowing problems in just 2 weeks since we discovered it). I would NOT be doing the dental if it was just his teeth (please don't flame me :() since at his age I am just super worried.

I'm REALLY worried because Larry is SUPER terrified now (gets worse every time) of going to the vets, even when most of the time it's just to hull his corns or for his chiro adjustment. He shakes horribly and pants and just is scared to death. The vet that will be doing the dental (did his one in 2016 and Zeke's in 2017) is very greyhound savvy and has greyhounds (and 1/2 or more of her clients are GH's) and I trust her implicitly... but I am just terrified for my Lare Bear.

I am so afraid that his fearfulness of being at the vet will really cause horrible things to happen before/during/after this whole procedure.

if anyone has advice - or knows the post-surgery issue I cannot think of, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kim

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

yes, that's it -- thank you! -- also malignant hyperthermia I think is the other issue that I have seen.

it's 9 days away and I'm already a mess about him having to have this done . Bruce will be taking him in that morning in the hopes that 1) since I am the one that 99% takes him the other times he won't be as stressed and 2) there is NO way my stress level will not be passed on to Larry and he sure won't need that too :(:cry1

Zeke is getting HIS dental on 4/9 (he turns 10 on 4/6) but handles the vet a lot better but we suspect he is a bleeder (they know to have Amicar on hand with him) so I'm worried for him too but not as much as Larry.

Augh.

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

There is another issue that has happened to my dogs. As they are coming out of anesthesia, they get stressed and because of that, their temperature starts to rise. It usually gets worse as the staff gets the dog up and the dog starts panting -- that seems to lead to the over-temperature condition.

Larry - talk to your vet to see if there is a fast acting anti anxiety med he can have at home (trazodone, xanax, etc) before he goes in for his surgery that won't interfere with the anesthesia. Make sure you try it out first to make sure he tolerates it well.

There is also some indication that potassium levels during and post surgery are very important to a successful recovery.

Zeke - he can definitely start the Amicar three to four days pre-dental to control any bleeding. Start looking for it now though as it has been difficult to locate recently. Tranexamic acid is the preferred substitute if you can't find it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Yes to meds you can give in advance. A hefty dose of Gabapentin is another alternative if they're concerned things like Xanax and Valium will interfere with anesthesia. Violet gets 500 mg before bed and then again an hour before her procedure. Also, ask them to schedule it so that you literally arrive and they take him back and get started. We have actually switched to no pre-meds at all for Violet. She gets her Gabapentin at home and then as soon as we get there they take her back, put the catheter in and put her under. We've done this successfully twice now. If they don't want to do that, then ask if they can do pre-meds with your husband there and have him sit with him until they've kicked in and they're ready to start.

Definitely talk this over with your vets and come up with a plan. They should be able to accommodate you somehow.

And yes, Transexamic acid starting 3 days before. We also do Yunnan Baiyao starting the day before and continue both for 3 days after when there are extractions.

I hope everything goes well.

FYI, malignant hyperthermia is a very different thing. Most likely you would know if he was susceptible to that as it likely would have happened during his neuter. That can only be reversed with Dantrolene I believe.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Most often these guys spike fevers post op because of drugs and anxiety-NON malignant hyperthermia. Stay away from opiates (morphine, buprenex, hyromorphone). It makes it very difficult for the Veterinarian to be able to control pain. For dentals I would make sure your Dr is administrating oral blocks and dispensing gabapentin and an nsaid (IMO tramadol does nothing when used as an analgesic). If you are expecting extractions definitely make sure your vet can dispense amicar or TA to prevent post operative bleeding.

Edited by tbhounds