Moving House

Hi all, does anyone have any experience of moving house with their grey?

We've just had an offer accepted on a place and are likely to be moving in a few months. We've been in the same house since we adopted Harry almost 4 years ago. He's a nervous dog (although much improved over time) and our house is the only place he feels truly secure. I want to do everything possible for him to settle into the new place.

One big advantage is that the street we're moving to is much quieter than

the one we're on now so, over time, I think he'll love it.

But does anyone have any advice, either about the move itself or when you're in the new home to ease things along?

For info, he doesn't have a crate. He has a bed in the living room and one in our bedroom.

Greyhounds are used to being moved around so it may not be as traumatic as you think. Rocket had been with us about 5 years when we moved across the country. There was literally no issue. We had a great roadtrip, he stayed in hotels like a champ and settled right in once all of the furniture and his stuff was in the house..

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

When you're getting close to moving day, it would be good if you could take him at least a time or two inside the new place, on leash to keep him from marking. After the other folks have moved out, of course. Let him nose around. Reward calm behavior with treats. Make it a calm, quick visit. If there's a yard, same thing -- on leash at first if you think it will make him nervous being loose in a new place. But encourage marking in the yard, or neighborhood if you don't have a yard.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

We moved from a townhouse to a single family home a little over a year after we adopted Sweep. We did as suggested above and brought her over with us a couple of times before the actual move (we only moved a mile away), and it was pretty much a non-event. Same for the cats, actually--once they sniffed everything and confirmed that, yes, it was "their" stuff, just in a new setting, they were all fine!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

We've moved multiple times with multiple dogs. Summit moved 3 times with us, and Kili twice... one of those was across the country. Kenna has moved once. It's never been an issue. Frankly, the dogs are more anxious about me packing my suitcase than us packing the house up. They never get left behind when we move houses, but suitcases don't always mean they're coming along!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

We just spent 3 months down in Texas at 2 different places. No problems, I've done this numerous times. I schlep a bed, crate, feed bowls so all of the basics stay the same. Never a problem, I usually crate them them when I go out. They are in their safe place. My dogs all LOVE crates and so do I.

Advice for moving day itself -- either have dog stay at a friendly place out of all the hustle and bustle and take him to the new place when everything is moved, or keep him behind a closed/locked door with a sign on it that says, "KEEP DOOR CLOSED -- DOG INSIDE." Doors will be open a lot and people who are not used to paying attention to where the dog is make a possibly bad combination on moving day. When I moved to my present place, the dogs stayed in my car (a happy place for them) while the movers were in and out at the new house.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter