Completely Settled? What Are The Signs?

Hi all.

Our girls has turned five the other week and its been about 15 weeks since we adopted her.

I have heard that it could take a year for a new grey to completely settle in a new environment but how can one tell that? Is there any signs (I know how silly I sound!)?

Any stories and opinions are appreciated :) Thank you.

It's not necessarily any one thing, or bunch of things. I look at it as more of a journey than a destination. Even a dog that you *know* is "settled in" just fine can reach another level of contentment after a long time with you.

We got a new young female a year and a half ago. She was a sweetie and fit in here like a breeze. I would have told you she was "settled" after a couple months. She knew the rules of the house, where everything was, played with her toys, did the stairs, followed directions, played appropriately with her brother and sister greyhounds, roaching and sleeping all over the house, and generally was a happy dog.

But just in the last few months she's become very affectionate with my DH and I. She always liked her attention, but she never really came to us and asked for it until recently. So, though she was perfectly settled before, she is more settled now.

If that makes sense.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Harley walked off the hauler from Bluffs in Iowa, cockroached and was settled in two minutes. Buck did the same when I brought him from Kansas,. My first greyhound, Little Girl, never settled. She was a bigger mental heath case than I am.

My best advice is to don't sweat it and go about your business. A lot of GH people try too hard and are sort of dog helicopter parents. . Just live your life and the dog will figure it out and fit in.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

It's not necessarily any one thing, or bunch of things. I look at it as more of a journey than a destination. Even a dog that you *know* is "settled in" just fine can reach another level of contentment after a long time with you.

We got a new young female a year and a half ago. She was a sweetie and fit in here like a breeze. I would have told you she was "settled" after a couple months. She knew the rules of the house, where everything was, played with her toys, did the stairs, followed directions, played appropriately with her brother and sister greyhounds, roaching and sleeping all over the house, and generally was a happy dog.

But just in the last few months she's become very affectionate with my DH and I. She always liked her attention, but she never really came to us and asked for it until recently. So, though she was perfectly settled before, she is more settled now.

If that makes sense.

AGREE!!!

We've had our grey almost 2 years, and even though he was roaching within a week or so, there's been many other ways he grown more comfortable in his new life since then. Even though I'm the primary walker/feeder/groomer, it wasn't until about a month ago that he began coming over to me by his own decision for pets and physical contact. And just a couple weeks ago,that expanded to resting his head on my hand and leaning into me while I'm sitting down.

All the dogs I've ever owned before, I've raised from puppies, including my first Greyhound. They all had a very close bond to me from early on. This is the first time I'm witnessing it happening at a slower rate, and the dog already being an adult. It's an educational and exciting adventure!

Yes, it can be a gradual blooming! Johnny has been a roacher almost since the beginning, along with following me everywhere! It's only been within the last few months he has been able to share my bed without issue. He puts his head in my lap for ear skritches while he stands on the floor, also a new behavior.

I think when my oldest cat died, he saw a big gap and grew to fill it.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Thanks guys for your responses! Yeah, it does seem like it is a gradual process.

Our girl smiles more often these days and I personally feel like we have just started bonding although she was roaching on the second day :) She has started showing her “drama queen” side as well, which we find cute and funny.