Should I Worry About My Hound Getting Bored

We have had Bullet for 3 weeks and he is settling in wonderfully. My question is - should we worry about our hound getting bored. I take him out to walk at least once a day for a 20 minute walk, if the weather is OK, and he loves it. He follows my wife around like her shadow, and me somewhat. He sleeps well during the night in our bedroom on his plush bed. We have a plush dog bed in the living room at arms length from our couch where we sit watching TV, and he lays there whenever we are watching TV or reading. We have a nice fenced in yard also and he goes out there to do his business, but doesn't seem interested enough to go out there and play or run. He wants to come back inside as soon as he does his business. He plays with his stuffed toys occasionally inside and seems very happy. We love on him a lot for sure, so I know he feels loved and secure. But how do we entertain him, or should that even be a concern? My wife thinks he is bored a lot of the time, and has nothing to do, especially as we have no other dogs in the house. Just me and my wife with no kids running around. Should this be a worry?

:welcome

Bullet sounds like a pretty well adjusted hound

:)

None of my greys have enjoyed toys in any size or shape, and with the cold winter now settled in Ontario we are lucky to get out for a walk once or twice a week.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Many greys take their retirement seriously, and it sounds like Bullet is one of those :) A few of my greys have played with toys, more didn't. They love their walks, but are happy to lay around and nap most of the time. I am pretty sure if he were bored he would be acting restless and perhaps be destructive. There are some puzzle toys that some dogs like, but he may just ignore it.

Many greys take their retirement seriously, and it sounds like Bullet is one of those :) A few of my greys have played with toys, more didn't. They love their walks, but are happy to lay around and nap most of the time. I am pretty sure if he were bored he would be acting restless and perhaps be destructive. There are some puzzle toys that some dogs like, but he may just ignore it.

My Grace also falls into the seriously retired group of greys. Naps interspersed with more naps with a break for food, snacks and an early morning walk. At this time of the year with it getting dark early she doesn't even want to go out for a comfort break in the evening and saves it for her morning walk.

Don't worry about him getting bored. He's getting his entertainment just by being with you and watching what you do.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I am pretty sure if he were bored he would be acting restless and perhaps be destructive.

This. I also refer you to the caption on HeyRunDog's signature, above: "This IS my happy face." :)

You could always add in another walk during the day, or a session with a lure/flirt pole, for more exercise. Or find an opportunity to let Bullet socialize with another friendly dog. Or you could get a second grey, and worry about both being bored. Seriously, since greys are sight predators, once they are adults I think most greyhounds' instinct is not to waste energy running around for no reason. Where I used to live, the large grey adoption program had playgroups every Saturday. They consisted of a dozen greys at a time, driven in from some distances, lying around on the ground or schmoozing up the humans, while a few people ran around flapping their arms yelling "Run, run!" at them. A couple of times in an hour, for some reason unknown to us, the greys would rise as one and run together breathtakingly fast for 15 seconds. Then back to lying on the ground and leaning on legs.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Good suggestions here - training, food puzzles, walks are all big hits at my house.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Of course now that it is winter, Bullet isn't very interested in going outside. We have a fenced in yard, but not big enough for Bullet to really get up a lot of speed. I will try and take him on more walks.

I'm a huge proponent of mental stimulation. Just because a dog is okay with doing nothing, doesn't mean they wouldn't enjoy doing something. Sure, a really high strung dog will be nuissance or may be destructive if not given enough to do, but just because a dog is good and well behaved doesn't mean they aren't bored.

My kids are very good and very well behaved, but they are so happy to have things to do. Puzzle toys are a great option for dogs that are food motivated - even my bunnies enjoy their treat balls. Training is great too for mental wellness, and also helps build a relationship with a new pup. My basement is our training space and the dogs just fly down there any time I head down the stairs. They're very disappointed when they find I'm just down there to do laundry or grab something out of storage.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!