Lyme Disease

I had my hound tested for Lyme disease in the vets office using the SNAP test and also had it send away for the newer C6 test which test for antibodies in the blood. Both came back negative and my vet is saying that she is most probably negative for Lyme disease. However she is experiencing some very common symptoms to Lyme. Has anyone else experienced negative test results but your hound had the Lyme disease?

^^^

Agree.

What symptoms is the dog experiencing?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

It all started right after she had her rabies vaccine, she was acting as if her muscles were stiff or sore because she was stretching a lot and just wasn't herself. So we took her back to the vet a few days after the shot cause we thought she was having a reaction to the shot. The vet didn't think it had anything to do with the shot but found out by her exam that she was tender in the groin area, so she diagnosed her with a groin pull. Gave her muscle relaxers and meloxicam. A week later with no improvement she started randomly yelping, when lifting her head to get up from laying down. We took her back to the vet, she examed her neck and other areas but did not react but still reacted to the groin area but it was the other side now. Gave me tramadol to add to the muscle relaxer and anti inflammatory. Another week when by and the neck pain got worse, yelping every time she lowered her head to the ground and lifting her head to get up. Took her back again, this time during the exam she yelped when her neck was lowered and when she put pressure on the base of vertebrae in her neck. She also snarled when she rotated both shoulders. Now they added gabapentin into the mix of meds. We still had no improvement so we took her back for X-rays of the neck and shoulders. The only suspicious thing that was seen is that between the 5th and 6th vertebrae in her neck the space was narrowed some. The radiologist also found that she has some calcification in her bicep tendons on both front shoulders. Said common with racing greyhounds. She is on strict bed rest but no improvement. Doctor said an MRI might be warranted but first we are going to take her off the anti inflammatory meds for a few days and start prednisone. That's were I am right now, only took 2 pills so far. Then I noticed that her one toe was swollen, I don't know if she was bit by something in the grass or if this is all part of all her problems, which makes me think of Lyme disease.

To top it off today she started with the big D, we think it's from the mix of pills she has been on now for 3 weeks. We stopped the muscle relaxer, tramadol and gabapentin today, it wasn't helping her pain anyway just making her all loopy. We are praying that the prednisone will help with any inflammation and pain. we started her on metronidazole today for the diarrhea.

Even though the tick tests came back negative, I hear horror stories of it going undiagnosed because these tests aren't 100% accurate.

One more thing 3 weeks ago we did a senior blood panel on her and all was good but they did find a trace of protein in the urine which I read can also be caused by Lyme.

The only thing we can think of that might of caused an injury to her neck is jumping out of the jeep because for a couple of days after she jumped she did limp a little on her right front leg but then that subsided.

It has been one thing after another. So to answer your question, within the last 3 weeks she has experienced a front leg limp, stiff/tender muscles, protein in urine, swollen toe, and the worst is the extreme pain in the neck when lowered or moved the wrong way.

Yes it ways x-rayed. The metronidazole after only 2 doses has stopped the multiple trips outside, so I hope that continues to improve. She has had three doses of prednisone so far, and it seems as if she isn't yelping as often but then again we had better days before only to return to bad days. I want to stay positive but it's hard since we have been dealing with this for a while now.

Im not sure what all tick diseases are covered in the SNAP test but I do believe it covers more th an just Lyme. I can check back with my vet on that.

Sounds like a neck problem. Hopefully the prednisone will help her and you can taper it off after a time (keep going for a couple weeks after all symptoms disappear).

FWIW, one of my pups is always goosey in the groin area. There's never been anything wrong there; evidently she just doesn't like to be poked/palpated in that region. Not saying that's the case with your dog, but might be.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.