Refusing Food And Stomach Growls

Guest teddybear213

Guest teddybear213

Hello everyone, I'm new here so please excuse any awkwardness!

We've had our grey Teddy for 5 months today. He's a great guy, if a little derpy sometimes. Within the past month, it's been harder to get him to eat. We even bought a small bag of a different flavor food to add in, but that doesn't seem to matter. He always eats at least most of it, but reluctantly- not like when he used to wolf it down. I can only remember one time he outright refused it, but we were out of town so I figured that was why. He hasn't been acting weird, and his poops have been fine too, so we've chalked it up to the insanely hot weather.

This morning, though, he won't touch it. I've offered it to him several times, but he just sniffs it and walks away. This is also the first time I've heard his stomach making growling/gurgling noises. My husband said he was pulling a lot on his walk this morning, which is weird for him. Other than that, and not taking his long morning nap (instead he's just sitting here) he seems normal. He gets excited when I'm doing stuff, especially in the kitchen, so at least he isn't lethargic. Also, he did eat a small biscuit about half an hour ago. I'm making him some rice to see if he'll eat that.

I've had dogs in the past, so I know sometimes they just get a stomach ache (which it seems like this might be). I'm just overly cautious with Teddy because he's my first grey!

Have your greys ever gone through anything like this? I'm going to wait to see what happens before I take him to the vet since finances are low right now and it can get expensive pretty fast. Last vet visit (in Feb.) everything was fine.

This is fairly common with one of our greys. When she gets the gurgles she won’t eat at all. I have some liquid Bismuth Sub/Kaolin prescribed by our vet, but I also use Pepcid AC (Famotidine 10 mg). Our vet suggested 40 mg and she weighs about 63 lbs. I find 2 10mg tablets usually settle her stomach. We also give our pups a small bit of kibble (very small handful) before they go to bed. This prevents them from getting extremely hungry overnight. If they are too hungry, they may throw up some bile and not want to eat. Our greyhounds have been checked and they are ok, just one has a sensitive stomach sometimes. The other 2 don’t usually get a gurgling noisy stomach, but may be due to a small amount of food before bed. We’ve dealt with the bile issue previously over the last 14 years and found this has worked with all 6 of our greyhounds.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest teddybear213

Thanks greytpups!

Update: I made some rice with a bit of chicken broth. After giving him a bit by hand he eagerly ate about a cup from his bowl. He's finally settled down in his normal morning nap. Hopefully everything is fine now!

The gurgling is because the tummy is empty. He may well feel nauseous with the empty tummy.

Definitely try a snack right before bedtime like a large Milk Bone, or a little more of his regular food. We split Rocket's meals into 3 meals a day instead of two for this reason. If we do two meals, the gurgles and stomach issues appear.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks greytpups!

Update: I made some rice with a bit of chicken broth. After giving him a bit by hand he eagerly ate about a cup from his bowl. He's finally settled down in his normal morning nap. Hopefully everything is fine now!

:clap glad he seems to be better. I still recommend a bit of food prior to bedtime if it continues.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

My Rex's grumbly tummy could wake me from a sound sleep. We fecaled and wormed him within an inch of his life. I spent many nights at 4 a.m. on the futon getting him to have a nibble. If I could get him started on two or three bites of something tasty (sardines. tuna, cheese, hot dogs, freeze dried liver, chicken breast) he'd go on to eat canned then kibble. It was like I had to prime his pump. FWIW

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Yes. First of all, take in a fecal sample to check for hooks. If those are clear, try a "substantial" snack before bedtime - either a large treat or hold back part of his dinner (so he doesn't gain weight). An acid reducer can also help in the mornings about 20 minutes before breakfast, or evne in the evening with the snack.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The heat could also be a factor, many dogs just don’t want to eat breakfast if it’s really hot (even if they are living in the air conditioning :rolleyes:) Both of mine have shown no interest in eating first thing, but will happily eat a couple of hours later, and always eat dinner :)