Rosie's Tragic Death

Guest c_matheson

I'm so sorry!!! My Rosie also experienced heat stroke during her transport from the track, so your story really touched my heart. :(

From what I've read, in the same ways that greys are sensitive to cold, they are sensitive to heat and are therefore much more susceptible to heat stroke than other breeds.

Of course none of that matters now...it was NOT your fault...hugs to you.

This is just tragic. My condolences. I hope that kennel has learned something about leaving a dog unattended for 3 hours...please don't blame yourself, it's not your fault. Hugs and prayers. :grouphug

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

I'm so sorry. Grieve, but try try try not to blame yourself. Hugs to you. Godspeed to your sweet Rosie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry about your loss. I'm sure Rosie knew she was much loved.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

I'm so sorry :grouphug

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

I am so sorry. This was not your fault, there is no way you could have known they would be negligent.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest 4luvofGreys
Did the kennel even offer to pay you the value of your dog?  I know that the value of the dog was more then money could take care of, but at least it would mean the kennel realized they where responsible for your dogs death and willing to try to make it better!!!!

I'm sooo sorry for your loss and pain your going through. I lost my Brandy just this past Mar 26th and I'm home a lot and this day I wasn't so didn't have much time with her and she just was out running one second and the next was on ground, thought she was going to roll around but we think she had heart attack. She had no medical problems.

Getting Chase within 2 weeks helped us through it. I do agree with who posted what I quoted. It can't replace your Rosie but I really hope they would have admited there mistake.

Please let us know here how your doing! :f_pink:grouphug

Run with the Angles Rosie :gh_run

Edited by 4luvofGreys

I'm terribly sorry that you lost Rosie, but it wasn't your fault. I'm sure she's smiling down on you and remembering the good times. Godspeed Rosie.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest brandihernandez

So sorry for your loss. If it's any consolation, you were not at fault. The kennel shouldn't have left ANY dog, much less a Greyhound, outside for 3 hours!

We can't always forsee every possible outcome for any given situation. We just try and make the best decisions possible.

Have you spoken anymore with the kennel about this?

Guest mleg2001

Sorry for your loss, this must be devastating to you, I'm sure if you had known she would have been outdoors for long periods time you would have made other arrangements, unfortunately you did not know, and the kennel likely had no idea how much the heat affects them, a terrible painful lesson for them as well. Greyhounds have 30% less fat than other breed, body fat acts as an insulator, this makes greyhounds less able to tolerate extremes in temperatures.

There is an article online http://www.kcregap.org/health/heat.htm

My sympathies to you over Rosie! :(

Have you thought about having an autopsy done? I would just be concerned about whether that is what she really had, a heat stroke. Since the dog was not in your care, who knows what could have happened.

Guest kristijewell

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for posting this. I will be very very careful if I ever leave Willow anywhere. Your post here may help save another dog's life. Thank you and sincere condolences.