Guest c_matheson

Guest c_matheson

After weeks of debating, I finally decided to go ahead and

board my 8 year old Greyhound, Rosie in a local kennel for

the weekend. She was staying there with my other dog,

a mutt named Cindy.

I took her in Thursday afternoon and the kennel called

me Friday afternoon and said that she had a heat stroke

and died. They claim to have left her out for approx 3 hours.

The temperature in Memphis on this day was approx 85 degrees.

Rosie definitely was an indoor dog who enjoyed her bed

in air conditioning.

Does this seem normal for a greyhound to have a heat stroke?

The grief I am feeling is unbearable, and I am wondering

if this was neglect on the kennels part or if maybe Rosie

has a medical condition that I didn't know about.

Whatever the case, I can't seem to cope with the fact that

I put her in the kennel to die. She was such a shy and

timid greyhound, and I should have known better.

Rosie, I will always love you and miss you. You were

a wonderful companion. I hope you can forgive me.

Love,

Cat

Guest BrockGusDad
Whatever the case, I can't seem to cope with the fact that

I put her in the kennel to die.  She was such a shy and

timid greyhound, and I should have known better.

I am so very sorry to hear this.

Please, please... do not hold yourself responsible.

Guest flyingdiva

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry for you. It is not your fault. Really the kennel should know better. That is their business after all.

Your situation has also clarified something for me. On occasion my husband and I are both gone overnite (12-14 hours), not often but once or twice a month for a day at a time (we are pilots & we have crazy schedules, BUT usually one of us is home). On these occasions we kennel our dog. We have an UN air conditioned vets office/kennel literally a mile from our house, the place is ok. Then there is a beautiful fully air conditioned, very nice kennel/vet office about 45 mins away. From now on, if the occasion arises, I will make the drive and take my dog to the airconditoned kennel, no excuses.

I am really sorry for your loss. Don't blame yourself. You had no way to know this would happen. :f_white

Guest DemasMom

I am so sorry for you! Please, as everyone else said, don't hold yourself responsible. It is not your fault. Tragic things happen sometimes -- I'm sure your pupper knows that you love her and that you are deeply hurt by her death. Take care of yourself *hugs*

I am so sorry to hear your sad story. This was in no way your fault. You are in my thoughts.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Oh, how awful for you :(

No, it was not your fault - IMHO the kennel was negligent. Greyhounds are indeed more susceptible to heat (and cold) than other breeds and she should not have been left outdoors for that length of time in that kind of heat.

I can understand how you must be beating yourself up, and feel so sad for you. I would also find the grief unbearable if this happened to one of my dogs. I left mine for three weeks last winter in a kennel which came highly recommended but in fact did not look after them well. One died only about two months later and yes, I did feel bad that she had to spend three weeks of the last little bit of her life in that place (the kennel had nothing to do with her death, though).

Please try to understand that guilt is a natural part of grief and it WILL pass. The responsibility for poor Rosie's death is the kennel staff's not yours. We hand our dogs over to the kennel in good faith having made a judgement on the place and then everything is in their hands. Sometimes we get it wrong - but we are human and fallible.

I doubt Rosie would blame you in any way if you could ask her. Honour her memory by remembering the good times. Plant a tree or shrub in her memory, have a little figurine painted in her likeness, whatever you feel would be good. Don't dwell on the manner of her death. There was nothing you could have done.

Run free, Rosie. I have tears in my eyes for you.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest greymom23

Greyhounds are very susceptible to heat stroke. There may have been an underlying medical problem, but I tend to think that the 3 hours she stayed outside must have been in the sun. They tend to want to lay in the sun and not know when enough is enough and by the time they want to come in, they are already overcome by the heat. It is not recommended that they go on walks in hotter temps because of their susceptibility to heat stroke.

My heart goes out to you. I truly feel your loss.

Please, Please don't blame yourself. You loved her and wanted the best for her.

Guest ProudGreyMom

I am so very sorry for your loss. It is truly not your fault. The kennel should not leave any dog out for 3 hours in 85 degree heat. My condolences to you and your other pupper. :(

Was there ANY shade??? Do they not check the dogs periodically? Its not your fault but you can now make sure it does not happen to any other dogs in their care. Please make sure that they know they were really were negligent to say the least. And to change their procedures.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest Ferrevergrey

I'm so sorry for your loss! I understand how you feel. I had a beloved terrier that was the joy of our life. He went literally everywhere with us, and the one time he didn't come was the last time I saw my baby. I left him with a family I trusted to take good care of him in my stead, I was only going to be gone a few days. But they where stupid. Even though they had a fenced yard, we told them never to leave Sandy outside alone, but they didn't listen. They had him less then an hour when they put him in the back yard. To make a long story short, he dug under thier gate, and after they chased him 3 seperate times, he tried to come home, and he was hit by a car, and who knows how long he sat by the side of the highway suffering before someone came along and found him, took him to the vet, but it was to late, and we lost our baby. It will have been 2 years since he died this february, and I still have a hard time with it. If I had just found a way to take Sandy with me, he would probably still be by my side today :( But there was no way I could of known-and it's the same for you!! Did the kennel even offer to pay you the value of your dog? I know that the value of the dog was more then money could take care of, but at least it would mean the kennel realized they where responsible for your dogs death and willing to try to make it better!!!!

My heart breaks for you. It was NOT your fault. Godspeed Rosie. :f_pink:f_whitef_yellow:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm very sorry to hear of your tragic loss :cry1:f_pink

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Oh my gosh, I am sooo sad to hear about your loss. :(

What color was Rosie? I know black dogs are suseptable to heat stroke quicker than the lighter color dogs. In about the same weather one of our fosters (black female) got sick after only being outside for 2hrs at a M&G. She was mostly only lying down and sitting in the shade so if she was running around it probably could of been a lot worse. I beleive she was feeling better a day or so after.

I am so very sorry for your loss. :cry1 I cannot imagine the grief you are feeling. Don't blame yourself for this. Many of us have used kennels for our greys with success. I guess my question would be why was she outside for 3 hours. Most kennels that I know don't do that. They might take the dog out for a half hour play time, which you of course pay extra for.

Nothing we say will ease the pain. I hope a big hug will help just a little. :grouphug

tn_greyhound002.gif

Willow & Trace

Butch (11/94 - 7/16/08) Hayley (11/96 - 1/13/09) Merlin (11/12/95 - 5/29/09)

GPA - Central New Hampshire