Spondylosis Vs. Lumbar Stenosis

Hi all.

My grey, Ginger, is 14 years old and has been having hind leg issues (arthritic) for a good year or so. It started off slow where it was hard for her to sit down and she had to find just the right position to sit down. She also became a little wobbly when walking. She's been on glucosamine and tramadol, and that seemed to help somewhat. As with some other postings I've read, all of a sudden yesterday, her rear legs became really wobbly and she could not walk. She just sad down not knowing what else to do. Based on information I read, I checkedher rear paws for corns but instead found one of her rear toes really swollen and tender to the touch. I ended up taken her to the vet first thing this morning as the only way I could get her outside was to put a towel under her abdomen to lift up her rear legs. The vet did an x-ray of her toe to check for any lytic lesions, but nothing showed up. Her bones looked good. She decided to put her on anti-inflammatories, up the tramadol, and soak the toe in Epsom salt a couple of times a day. There might have been a puncture of some kind but nothing definitive showed up. We are giving this treatment a few days (she can't be on anti-inflammatories too long due to elevated creatinine levels). I had to buy a harness that allows me to lift her rear legs. She really won't walk on them. My fear is that this is leading to a diagnosis of LS or potentially spondylosis. How are either of these diseases diagnosed and what type of vet is best at diagnosing them?

I apologize for the posting but other postings on this issue are a few years old and therefore out-of-date. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Scared grey mommy :unsure

I would see a neurologist, preferably at a facility that has an ortho as well.

A couple thoughts - I might try Gabapentin if you don't see improvement pretty immediately. Also, not sure what nsaid she gave, but Galliprant is not supposed to have the issues with kidneys that the others do.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The problem is the nerve conductivity. Andy benefits from physiotherapy and laser accupuncture. And he gets hypericum perforatum (St. Johns Wort) Added to his diet which is known to help with nerve related pain and even heal nerve damage.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Oh, I was focused on meds - acupuncture stat! Was a huge help when Violet had an acute incident with one of her discs and also helps on am ongoing basis now. Seriously, she went from so painful she would barely walk to getting around well in one day.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I agree about the acupuncture. My first grey developed spondylosis at almost 12. She suddenly could barely stand, certainly not walk. Anti-inflammatories and pain meds got her going short term, but she couldn't stay on the anti-inflammatories long term (heart condition). It took a few weeks, but the acupuncture got her back to about 90% of her previous mobility. It saved her life.

Larry has LS and disc issues as well in his neck. He just turned 11 in February. He takes 100 mg Tramadol 3 x day (well, sometimes just 50 mg at the 10pm dosing) and 300 mg gabapentin 3 x day, glucosamine, and also a 1/2 (3.75mg) tablet of Meloxicam (NSAID) every day. He was on carprofen (Rimadyl) from Oct 2016 - May 2017 but started showing dark stools (ulcers from the carprofen) so we switched to the Meloxicam. So far, so good. He wouldn't still be with us without the Meloxicam. Larry has space/bed issues and I know that if it came to us having to try to help him get up from bed, he'd go after us so at whatever point he can't take the meds, or they stop working, we will have to let him go.

Our vet did suggest possibly Galliprant (also an NSAID) but hasn't used it on any dogs she sees yet and it's pricey I guess. We could try that as a last resort. I don't know what Galliprant is as far as if your girl could take it or not though.

sending gentle scritchies to your sweet girl. :kiss2

ETA: he also gets a chiro adjustment every 4 weeks....

and there's also something called a Depro (Depo???) shot that can be done by some vets, but they have to be off NSAIDS for like 2 weeks before and can't go back on them for 3 months (if the shot doesn't work, and it's hit or miss I guess). Larry wouldn't make it if the shot failed to work....

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Few thoughts-first must get her comfortable. My goodness 14yrs old? Personally, I would give her whatever medication that may help her daily quality of life. Galipriant is a nsaid that is proven to be more renal friendly-I would definitely get her started on that. I would also drop the tramadol as recent research is leaning towards it only provides some mild sedation making your dog look more comfortable all the while not really improving analgesic effect. Replacing tramadol with gabapentin would be a fantastic option (IMO).

Did your vet dispense any antibiotics? I would be concerned of an infection in her toe.

Thank you all for your postings. She is back to walking but will not walk on the rear leg with the swollen toe. I have a bootie on it and that seems to help her feel comfortable when walking. The toe is still swollen and it looks like some kind of blister on one side. Maybe she got bit by something. It seemed to drain a little one day after soaking it but hasn't since. The xray showed nothing and my vet felt that it was a soft tissue issue. I'm not so sure. She's feeling better but I think it the anti-inflammatories that are helping. She stops anti-inflammatories today because of her elevated creatinine levels. I asked my vet if she thought it needed to be drained but she insisted that it was a soft-tissue issue and there was nothing to drain and her body temperature indicated no infection. I'm not convinced, but then again, I'm not a vet.....

I agree that acupuncture and/or chiropractor might be the way to go as she gets older. Her hips/back are not so comfortable but I'm wondering if the problem with her toe has not been something that's been going on for awhile and has just become bad enough for it to become apparent, and therefore she has been walking and sitting awkwardly. Anyway, any information related to a similar greyhound toe tissue is very much welcome. I'm almost thinking of getting a small safety pin, sterilizing it, and just entering it just a little on the blister-looking part, but don't want to aggravate anything....I've drained my cat's wound one day like this when he got bit by something (snake, racoon, etc.) and have had success. This may be a completely different issue, but I do live in south Florida where there are plenty of biting critters around.

Cheers,

Ginger's mom

No advice on the swollen toe, but it's certainly not an easy fix. Poor lady. Have you done any massage? I'm wondering if maybe she's getting some poor circulation in her leg/foot? I think nerves and circulation are connected but I really can't recall. If you rub the legs enough and properly, the veins can reroute to get blood flowing properly again. It is not a permanent fix and doesn't last long but worth a shot.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

If you're not so sure, get a second opinion.

I think you really have to trust your vet's diagnosis on this one. I know a couple older of dogs with spinal issues which have been greatly helped by Gabapentin. Just be sure not to use the human version of the drug which can have Xylitol (potentially deadly artificial sweetener) in it. Also, as it is excreted in the urine, it may harm your dog's kidneys or shorten their life if they already have kidney disease. (Quality of life vs. length of life decision)

Thank you NeylasMom and JohnF. A second opinion might be warranted depending on my vet's re-assessment of Ginger now that she is finished with the anti-inflammatories. She wants to prescribe Gabapentin depending on her pain levels. One day at a time as they say. I'll re-post if there is any follow-up which merits me seeking out more advice from you all. Thanks again, it's all very helpful.

Human Gabapentin is perfectly safe in capsule form. I get Violet's from Costco.

Also, while Gabapentin is processed through the kidneys, the greater concern is that you may need to lower the dose to avoid toxicity (depending on how advanced it is), not that it puts stress on the kidneys. Your vet would certainly know if that were a concern in your guess, but I'm guessing not.

Edited by NeylasMom