Can't Hold Urine All The Way Through The Night

Tracker is 11.5 and so far has been healthy as could be. Yesterday, though, he requested to be let out at 5:30, wayyyy early for him, but we were up already and let him out. Today, we weren't up; we heard him walk around at ca 5:30, but by the time we finally realized something was wrong, it had already happened. I'll take in a urine sample this morning to rule out UTI. I hope that's all it is. Any other things I might consider?

Just like with older human men, prostate can get to be an issue with dogs. Also they *can* become incontinent, though it seems to happen more with females. Kidney and bladder issues - there's a host of things it could be. You might consider getting a belly band until it can get figured out.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Could be a UTI like you said. Number of other things as well. I'd be most suspicious of kidney issues at his age if no infection present. I'd run blood work as well, that should give you lot of info to start with.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

When is his last turn out?

8:30. We go to bed at 9:00. And we get up at around 6:30.

Belly band is a great idea--I even have one, but would have never thought of it... I dropped off urine today, and if that's inconclusive, do a full panel, although he's had a normal one recently in April of 18, but who knows.

Is he drinking more water ? Did you change dog foods recently? You might want to try a dog food with less protein and the reason for this is that older dogs may have trouble filtering protein as they older and as result, they drink more water (to filter out the protein) and then because they drank so much more water, they have to pee more. This could result in more accidents.

Could be a UTI like you said. Number of other things as well. I'd be most suspicious of kidney issues at his age if no infection present. I'd run blood work as well, that should give you lot of info to start with.

Yes, thoroughly check for compromised kidney function. We ultimately had to get a dog door for Fenway once his kidney disease progressed.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Is he drinking more water ? Did you change dog foods recently? You might want to try a dog food with less protein and the reason for this is that older dogs may have trouble filtering protein as they older and as result, they drink more water (to filter out the protein) and then because they drank so much more water, they have to pee more. This could result in more accidents.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think so. I didn't change foods any more than normal (I get a different flavor kibble each time), but trying less protein rich food seems like a good idea.

any chance someone could recommend belly bands? I'm looking at this brand: https://smile.amazon.com/Wegreeco-Washable-Male-Belly-Wrap/dp/B0183H0Z10/ref=sr_1_6?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1530371603&sr=1-6&keywords=belly%2Bbands%2Bfor%2Bmale%2Bdogs&th=1

but I find that when I ask for greytalk recommendations, they are spot on.

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

I had Tracker's urine checked for UTI and it came back negative a few days ago. Since the occasional urency is continuing, I took him to the vet yesterday. She was puzzled by the lack of bacteria combined with his obvious ability to hold his urine and tell me he had to go out (at ungodly hours) rather than just let it run. She did an ultrasound; she saw that there are areas of thickening in his bladder, but nothing outrageous. She hoped to get a urine sample directly from the bladder to "get it from the source" to check for bacteria rather than just relying on the sample I free caught. But since the bladder was empty at that moment, she didn't want to subject him to the stress of poking around in there. She proposed to put him on a round of Clavamox, agreeing this wasn't ideal, since we don't even know for sure whether there are any bacteria; but she figured we could still do it, see whether that helps clear up things, and if not, to have him come into the office for two hours to get his bladder to fill and THEN get a sample. There were no tumors visible on the ultrasound. She didn't seem to think a blood test was necessary at this time, but to wait until next week. Any thoughts on this?

• 2 weeks later...

This was interesting. The first vet I went to about this suggested, after the urinalysis checked out negative for bacteria, to put him on Proin. After reading up on Proin, I felt that this was a rather risky drug, especially since she didn't do any blood work or anything else. So I went to a different vet; she said that even though no bacteria were showing, he might still have the beginnings of a UTI. She did an ultrasound and everything looked good. So she suggested a round of antibiotics, even though we didn't know for SURE he had a UTI, and indeed, that cleared it up. Live and learn (about non-showing bacteria) and always follow your gut feelings...

Good job. So glad you checked things out, and glad he's feeling better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.