Question About Muzzle Keepers

So I'm considering finding a leather worker who will make leather strap muzzle keepers for me. When I do a google search, I only find this kind of keeper:

muzzlekeeper.jpg

To be clear (because in this picture the muzzle and the keeper are the same color) the keeper is just the white buckle collar with the loop on it attached to the muzzle strap.

What I had in mind was just a short leather strap with a buckle that can go around the muzzle strap and the dog's normal collar. Basically just the loop part of what you see in this picture. Do you guys think that design would be more versatile/useful than the kind pictured above? I think if I needed a keeper, I'd find that additional buckle collar to be a hassle. But that's me. Opinions?

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

The one flaw in the plan is that the lower collar does slide up and down the dog's neck, allowing the keeper part to have a lot of room to move as well - though this happens with the set up in the picture too. I actually never found the keeper to be a solution to my problem child getting her muzzle off. I'd look over and her muzzle would be dangling around her neck FROM THE KEEPER!!! :rolleyes:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

How about just slipping a snap on the muzzle strap and snapping it to the D-ring of the collar?

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I don't know if your idea will work, but I know someone who will help you try!

https://boldleaddesigns.com/

Katrina of Bold Lead designs makes incredible leather products, is very nice, and will do custom work. She made George's special 9 foot long, 1/2 inch wide leather leash for me.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

The one flaw in the plan is that the lower collar does slide up and down the dog's neck, allowing the keeper part to have a lot of room to move as well - though this happens with the set up in the picture too. I actually never found the keeper to be a solution to my problem child getting her muzzle off. I'd look over and her muzzle would be dangling around her neck FROM THE KEEPER!!! :rolleyes:

Hey, I wondered about that too! I've never owned an escape artist but did once witness a little galgo take his muzzle off. It was impressive. But it did make me wonder if a dog who is that good at figuring it out might turn the muzzle AND keeper into a choking hazard! Maybe two keepers, one on the back of the neck and one from the chin strap to the collar at the throat? Or would that be worse?

Katrina of Bold Lead designs makes incredible leather products, is very nice, and will do custom work. She made George's special 9 foot long, 1/2 inch wide leather leash for me.

Thank you, I will check them out and see if they do wholesale!

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

I had Toni's muzzle as tight as I could get it and she could still breath. With a keeper, without, with various other strategies and straps and whatever else I could think to try - she was *always* able to get her muzzle off somehow if left alone to work on it for 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

And she really was the one dog we've had who needed to wear one as she used her teeth freely on every living creature in the house, and she had horrible bite inhibition, AND she was a poop eater!

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I had Toni's muzzle as tight as I could get it and she could still breath. With a keeper, without, with various other strategies and straps and whatever else I could think to try - she was *always* able to get her muzzle off somehow if left alone to work on it for 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

And she really was the one dog we've had who needed to wear one as she used her teeth freely on every living creature in the house, and she had horrible bite inhibition, AND she was a poop eater!

Yikes, okay so she sounds like she's clearly in the "special" category. :colgate as in raccoon level intelligence.

I was just thinking that I could offer both the collar and loop style keeper but also just the little loop style keeper.

I'm playing with ideas for new products. Since the Irish muzzles are my best sellers, it seems to make sense to branch off from that with accessories for muzzles. Also here's a really out of the box idea.... muzzle charms? Like collar charms but smaller and less dangly, and they attach to the side of the muzzle, purely to look cute? Stupid idea or does it have possibilities?

Toni was "special" in a lot of ways! :lol

Mine would probably not like anything dangling and clunking against the side of the muzzle. And it could be an issue of they were playing - mine tend to "box" with their front feet and I would worry a claw or pad would get caught on something like that. Maybe it's just me.

You could always mock up some little loopy things with items from the craft store - they sell a lot of leather working supplies nowadays, but it wouldn't *have* to be leather just to try it out - and have some people demo them for a while.

Good point about the dangly things. Or worse than getting a claw caught... for those that play bitey face, getting a tooth caught! OW! So I'll nix that idea.

I looked at the Bold Lead Designs site and liked it very much. Also saw that they do sell wholesale! Yay! So I'm going to reach out to them. I'm also attending a pet products tradeshow in June where I'll find suppliers for more products.

• 3 weeks later...

Susan, I want to thank you very much for this suggestion! I reached out to them and we've been in a very nice email discussion designing a new product for me. They are SO easy to work with and are exactly what I was looking for! It's looking like we're going to have a very good business relationship!