Licking Himself Raw

Percy keeps licking certain spots until they're raw. I don't think it's allergies or anything like that because it's only 3 spots--2 are related. He came to us with a small scrape and licked at that until it was raw. I thought it would eventually heal, and when it didn't, I kept it bandaged. I took the bandage off yesterday and it looked pretty good so I left it off. But now it's all raw again and I'm back at square 1. Well, not quite all the way back--the raw area is smaller, so that's good at least.

While that spot was bandaged (hind leg on the inside), he started licking just below it. Now that spot is raw.

The third spot is where he got his IV for dental work. They shaved part of his front leg, and I guess maybe he had a little sore from where the needle went in, and now he's licking that.

I tell him no, and he stops, but I'm not always right there. I guess I will just continue to keep him bandaged up, but is there any way to curb this behavior? He licks other areas, I think for comfort--front legs, and belly/penis mostly. He often does this before bed, and I've read here that other dogs do this for comfort. Those spots don't get raw. It's only his licking of the already scraped/raw spots that's a big problem (though I'd love to curb all the licking because it is LOUD.)

I use Bactine to stop mine from licking wounds. Not on the wound, but all around it. Spray it on a tissue and dab around the sore. It makes their tongue numb and they do NOT like that! Vet said it was OK.

Edited by boopieface

Aljo Atomic Kogo and DC Man of Steal

Ooh, that sounds good. I had tried some bitter apple around the area, but didn't keep up with spraying it. Can I spray the bactine on the sore? I mean, that's what it's for after all.

Yes, you can spray it on the sore as well as around it, I used it with a dog that tended to lick hot spots. It just seems to be something some of them do. If the Bactine doesnt work, try EMT gel. It forms a sort of flexible barrier over the sore spot and apparently tastes nasty. If all else fails, you may need to muzzle him with a poop cup until the spots heal. And remember anytime he has a scrape or scratch, he will start licking again. Sigh.

Edited by Remolacha

The director from our original group recommended Ben Gay. Rub it around the outside of the wound. It smells bad as well as tastes bad. I personally have never done it.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Bitter Yuck works better than Bitter Apple and my vet says it can go on a wound.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cluarandesign

We had this issue with where they clipped for our Grey's IV during his dental. I purchased a muzzle poop guard and applied coconut oil to the area.