Random Aggression From My Grey

Guest MrsGoose

Guest MrsGoose

I've had my Grimm for about a month now and everything was going great. Every weekend my in laws come over to visit and he loves them. Wags his tail gets pets and even gives licks. This Sunday they visited and he was growling at my father in law (FL) he and my so left and my mother in law (ml) stayed. Grimm would walk over and give her licks and get pets. My so and FL returned after about 4 hrs. He again growled and barked at FL. We finally calmed him and I had him lay by me, anytime my FL would move the slightest Grimm would growl but stay by me. They then got up to leave starting with my ml he started growling and barking at her. And then at both my ml and FL. After they left he was fine. This has never happened before. And he is still intact, they couldn't snip him because of the hurricane in Florida. He's supposed to get snipped later this month.

First off, nothing is every totally "random." There's just behavior WE can't understand.

Something about your FIL bothered him that night, and you may never know what it was - a new smell, a different sound - something. :dunno In the future, I would probably opt for letting him hang out, baby gated in another room, away from guests, if he ever has this reaction again.

HIs neutering status probably had nothing to do with this issue, but see if his behavior changes once it's done.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Probably the hat. Many dogs do not like hats or other partial head/face coverings. Kili is very wary of BF if he comes into the house with his motorcycle gear on (usually he takes off his helmet and jacket outside, so it is rare for the dogs to see him all decked out) but as soon as he opens his visor and talks she recognizes him. Your dog is still pretty new and doesn't know everyone that well yet.

Next time if there's an issue like this, have the "offender" (in this case FIL) ignore the dog and periodically throw treats in his direction without making eye contact or talking to the dog.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I echo the previous posters. My GSD would bark at anyone wearing dark clothing or a hat even DH and he was her favorite human. Have FIL/MIL/visitors toss high value treats on the floor for Grimm so that he learns to associate good things from visitors. Do this as they enter, exit and during a visit. No touching, no talking and no eye contact unless Grimm initiates it at least for the time being.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

If he's been fine around FIL before and the hat was new, I agree that could be the culprit.

Fyi, there is no evidence that neutering reduces aggression. On the contrary, the only study that found any relationship found a slight increase in aggression with neutering.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

What hurricane?

My first thought, as well.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

It was unheard of just a few years ago for men to keep their hats on in the house. Here's a thought--ask your Dad to take his hat off and see if it matters.

Otherwise, I agree. Just put the dog in another room and let it observe from afar!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest MrsGoose

There was a hurricane in Florida so he couldn't get snipped there and it has to be done because of the adoption group. We did have FL take the hat off and it didn't help. But we are going to try the treat thing and see if it helps.

I think the point people were making is that hurricane was a LONG time ago.

Why haven't you had the dog neutered since?

It's a very uncomplicated procedure and you're required to have it done, as you know.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest MrsGoose

He is having issues with his bowel movements and the doctor will not neuter until he's solid. We're almost there and it should be done in the next few weeks when I got him from the adoption group that's the reason they were given as to why he was still intact.